How do I tie this off?

This is the best pic I could get of this. I have the rope coming down from the double block and I'm trying to tie it off on the bitts. I managed to get it wrapped a couple of times with the tweezers but now what do I do?

IMG_0349.JPG

So you have already secured the end of the rope? If yes, then you can soak this knot with diluted PVA glue or liquid superglue, and carefully cut off the excess rope.

Thanks for the replies. No I haven't secured the rope, it's just wrapped a couple of times. Every time I try to tie it off it just flies every which way. Do I have to glue it now and then cut it off. Then go back and hang a false coil on the end of the bitts?
Do I rely on just glue to hold it in place or should I have a knot of some sort?

Thanks for the replies. No I haven't secured the rope, it's just wrapped a couple of times. Every time I try to tie it off it just flies every which way. Do I have to glue it now and then cut it off. Then go back and hang a false coil on the end of the bitts?
Do I rely on just glue to hold it in place or should I have a knot of some sort?
This video shows how Olga does it. Watch from 13 minutes.

tie off on the bit with a half-hitch, then cut off slightly longer than the length to the deck. use a dot of c.a. to glue the end to the deck and cover with a flat coil or stack of coiled rope.
I tried for more than an hour to tie a half hitch on the bitts. No luck. Maybe Olha's vid will help.

Watched the vid. She has magic hands (which I don't :) ). I learned a few things that I can try. I was trying to tie the rope to the part of the bitts that stick out. I still think that is where it would be tied but I'll live with it. I was also trying to use the bight of the rope to tie a half hitches where she uses the end of the rope.
We'll see how it goes today. Thanks

Thanks Dave, I'll watch that.
A side point. I see Olha's name with an "h" but you wrote it with a "g". Is the "h" pronounced as a "g"?
Yes, you are right, and I was a little wrong - in English the correct spelling is "Olha", but the variant "Olga" is more similar to the pronunciation of this name in Ukrainian.

Thanks Dave, I'll watch that.
A side point. I see Olha's name with an "h" but you wrote it with a "g". Is the "h" pronounced as a "g"?
Yes, you are right, and I was a little wrong - in English the correct spelling is "Olha", but the variant "Olga" is more similar to the pronunciation of this name in Ukrainian.
... why not write her name as Olya, this way it is more friendly and not as formal as Olha or Olga. ;)

This is the best pic I could get of this. I have the rope coming down from the double block and I'm trying to tie it off on the bitts. I managed to get it wrapped a couple of times with the tweezers but now what do I do?

View attachment 439912
Try starting at the bits and reverse rig it You should be able to tighten it at the endo of the block

Try starting at the bits and reverse rig it You should be able to tighten it at the endo of the block
The problem, in my case, is actually tying the knot in a place I can't reach. I suppose I could tie a clove hitch in the air(so to speak) and then slip it over the end of the bitts. I do like the idea of doing it "backwards" though. I'll have to train myself to remember that.

When I’m rigging, I always pull the lines through a small block of beeswax prior to using them. If the wax is too cool you can follow this by pulling the thread over an old fashioned light bulb which has been turned for a minute or two. I have found that the line will remain flexible, but keeps its shape. This process adds to the longevity of the model as the rigging repels moisture that natural threads absorb from the air over the years which causes them to deteriorate with age.
Phil

First i have a coiled rope (prepared in advance) added to the rope, secured higher up, and run, from the block, two times around wooden plank; then the line is run under last loop and tightened up; the line should stay without any glue at the moment... the drop a small CA, cut the excess... slide down the coil and glue it again...

1712589660576.png

View attachment 439912
Don't forget to leave a good amount of line left on the reel.
After being rolled up, they were stored next to the blocks.

This video shows how Olga does it. Watch from 13 minutes.
OK. I watched this and think it's great but when I pull the small strings it tightens up before all the slack pulls out and I end up with a snarl of thread. Olya has smaller fingers than me, maybe that has something to do with it. I tried two different types of thread. I counted the wraps, she does five, so I did five. Any other ideas. Has anyone else tried this? What were your results?

Back