So you want to build a model ship!

From MSB Journal "So you want to build a model ship? You looked around went to all the shops or visited all the stores online and you’ve decided that you’d like to build the HMS Victory as your first build. Its got everything you’ve always wanted in a model ship, lots of lines and things, lots of cannons, beautiful looking wood…boy is that ever going to look good in your office. So you go out and pay $500.00 for the kit and begin to build…….. Sadly, this is what a lot of potential model builders do, only to be frustrated by the level of skill that is required to build the model of that level not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of hours that can go into building it. So much so, that a lot of once enthusiastic people turn their backs on model building never to return, thinking that it is above and beyond them. The fact is, like anything that is worth doing well, there is a learning curve. We all have to start somewhere and the absolute best place to start is with the very basics."

There's an excellent series of articles published in MSB Journal beginning with https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/msb-journal/msbj_2007-03.pdf which a beginner may find helpful.

Last edited:
just for your information -after more than 50 builds, I have more than 50 GB of info, covering all aspects. I was thinking of writing a booklet or manual starting from A to Z but my wife's sickness has set the project back.
I still have all the images.

perhaps you might want to consider teaming up with a co author

just for your information -after more than 50 builds, I have more than 50 GB of info, covering all aspects. I was thinking of writing a booklet or manual starting from A to Z but my wife's sickness has set the project back.
Hope everything works out fine for you and your wife. We would love to see it. Maybe we can help distribute.

Such a book would benefit so many fellow builders. I hope your lady is recovering and both have many happy years ahead of you.

Back