USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

Looking great. Congratulations.
I ran into an issue with the canon doors. Some were broken and some broke when I installed them. I wound up using my 3D printer to create these parts. A bit of a steep learning curve, but it's fun. I used Freecad for the design and Cura for the slicing. I am debating if I should make the lifeboats with the 3 d printer...
Hi
Model shipways has a very good policy of replacing damaged or missing parts the only problem is the time it takes to get the parts.
Do you have a build log I would like to see some pictures of your ship. I'm also using freecad a lot of my projects are never as simple as I first thought, I still have a lot to learn.

Tony

no i didn't start a build log, since you both have one already and I feel mine would be redundant. But, I am putting sails on this ship and I was planning on doing a build log for that part.
That is at least 1 year away, though
I agree that model shipways have a good policy in regards to replacement parts. Truth be told, I am looking for opportunities to use freecad and my 3D printer.

Last edited:
Toni, I too have this model. I've set it aside for a while. And too have Hunt's practicum. Hunt's practicum is more useful than the instruction booklet provided with the kit. Not sure where you are with your build but you can install a second deck in this model. Hunt points this out later in his practicum. My mistake was not reading all his instructions before starting my build. If had I would have read that part and I would have installed the second deck. The advantage of the second deck is that you can install "real" cannons in that deck rather than the dummy cannons provided with the kit. Hopefully that's helpful.
As others have pointed out this is a big ship and the standing rigging is complex but it is a beautiful ship when you finish.
Best wishes for a great build!

no i didn't start a build log, since you both have one already and I feel mine would be redundant. But, I am putting sails on this ship and I was planning on doing a build log for that part.
That is at least 1 year away, though
I agree that model shipways have a good policy in regards to replacement parts. Truth be told, I am looking for opportunities to use freecad and my 3D printer.
I would like to put sails on mine but rigging is not my strong point, I'll be interested to see the process of installing them when you're at that stage.
3D printing adds a new dimension to modelling I'm a little reluctant to put plastic parts on a wooden ship, so I only use the printer for parts I struggle to make with wood. I can post my 3d printer files if they are any help to you.

Tony

I would like to put sails on mine but rigging is not my strong point, I'll be interested to see the process of installing them when you're at that stage.
3D printing adds a new dimension to modelling I'm a little reluctant to put plastic parts on a wooden ship, so I only use the printer for parts I struggle to make with wood. I can post my 3d printer files if they are any help to you.

Tony
very kind of you. It didn't really bother me that they were plastic because I have to paint them anyways, so I think I should be ok. I use acrylic paint which seems to stick to anything.

Toni, I too have this model. I've set it aside for a while. And too have Hunt's practicum. Hunt's practicum is more useful than the instruction booklet provided with the kit. Not sure where you are with your build but you can install a second deck in this model. Hunt points this out later in his practicum. My mistake was not reading all his instructions before starting my build. If had I would have read that part and I would have installed the second deck. The advantage of the second deck is that you can install "real" cannons in that deck rather than the dummy cannons provided with the kit. Hopefully that's helpful.
As others have pointed out this is a big ship and the standing rigging is complex but it is a beautiful ship when you finish.
Best wishes for a great build!
Thanks Craig.
I have heard a lot of good things about Hunts practicum, I sometimes wish I had a copy. I agree the instructions leave a lot to be desired I learn more from reading other people's build logs.
I decided before I started I wouldn't be adding the second deck, it's enough of a challenge to build it standard to drawing.
Definitely a wonderful ship and a stunning model when finished.

Just a quick update from me, I've been putting this operation for a while wishing I had done it earlier before the outside planking. The holes for the catheads needed to be made on a compound angle and both sides had to match. I made up a copy of the deck plan and extended the lines for the catheads. Using these lines to guide in one direction drilled a small hole on a vertical angle. Using a square file I opened up the hole until the cathead fitted correctly.

IMG_20240505_212847.jpg
IMG_20240505_213306.jpg
IMG_20240505_213551.jpg

Just a quick update from me, I've been putting this operation for a while wishing I had done it earlier before the outside planking. The holes for the catheads needed to be made on a compound angle and both sides had to match. I made up a copy of the deck plan and extended the lines for the catheads. Using these lines to guide in one direction drilled a small hole on a vertical angle. Using a square file I opened up the hole until the cathead fitted correctly.

View attachment 445877
View attachment 445876
View attachment 445875
good idea. I just made sure the catheads were perpendicular to the hull. Seems to have worked for me.

Dear Bill,

The con as it is docked in Boston today has undergone several transformations over the last 200 years of its existence. Today only 10% of his original material survived. To illustrate, some images from Karl Heinz Marquardt's book...So it's quite possible that the gun ports in the past had a different layout....

Today the gun ports are indeed divided into two parts with a rubber seal where the gun barrels protrude.
As they are also depicted on the Model Shipways plan (The Model Shipways CON is based upon today's version in the Boston harbor).
And I follow the plans in order to avoid a "historical" mismatch... :)

You can find more on the USS con's museum website: https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Cheers

Marc

View attachment 444311

View attachment 444312
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it very much.

Looking at the numerous paintings, especially by Michael Corne, neither Constitution nor her sisters had the split half doors nor did the guns protrude from them. If anything, the doors were either removed before action, or they were not mounted. Please note that Corne and other artists were contemporary to the times. Hence my question.

Bill

Back