When you don't have the Skill to carve

Team, I am about to embark on a 1:48 scale model of the 3rd rate 74 Gun HMS THUNDERER. The first thing I wanted to get out of the way was the figurehead; if I couldn't produce the one required, I was not really going to complete the model.
WHAT TO DO?
I looked on line for tutorials on carving and while they looked doable, I realised I could spend so much time attempting it and not achieve a result that I would be happy with.
OK so look to see if there is something already available that I could purchase. Well that's unlikely so what about something that is similar that I could modify; that's probably doable. I searched the internet of 3D sculptures thinking one of Zeus should be readily available.... apparently Zeus is not a favourite sculpture subject for 3D modelling.
I dd find a couple of nice renditions of Zeus but none really matched the figurehead as most were in a seated position and holding a lightning bolt above their head.
You will see from one of the below images the sketch of the figurehead by Sir John Henslow when he was assistant to Sir Thomas Slade; the man who created the draughts for HERO, THUNDERER and other 74s designed as 74's.
I found a website called CGTrader where there are some 3D designers that can be hired for private work. So I engaged one that had a nice existing representation of ZEUS. Having offered USD$50 and a single sketch I sat and waited. It took all of 30 minutes before he accepted the offer.
Well 4 days after accepting my offer I got the first rendition and wow I was very pleased with what he has produced from a single sketch.
Goes to show that if something is beyond your skill there are others out there who can fulfil your needs for a reasonable price.

IMG_0437.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.45.21 am.png

Team, I am about to embark on a 1:48 scale model of the 3rd rate 74 Gun HMS THUNDERER. The first thing I wanted to get out of the way was the figurehead; if I couldn't produce the one required, I was not really going to complete the model.
WHAT TO DO?
I looked on line for tutorials on carving and while they looked doable, I realised I could spend so much time attempting it and not achieve a result that I would be happy with.
OK so look to see if there is something already available that I could purchase. Well that's unlikely so what about something that is similar that I could modify; that's probably doable. I searched the internet of 3D sculptures thinking one of Zeus should be readily available.... apparently Zeus is not a favourite sculpture subject for 3D modelling.
I dd find a couple of nice renditions of Zeus but none really matched the figurehead as most were in a seated position and holding a lightning bolt above their head.
You will see from one of the below images the sketch of the figurehead by Sir John Henslow when he was assistant to Sir Thomas Slade; the man who created the draughts for HERO, THUNDERER and other 74s designed as 74's.
I found a website called CGTrader where there are some 3D designers that can be hired for private work. So I engaged one that had a nice existing representation of ZEUS. Having offered USD$50 and a single sketch I sat and waited. It took all of 30 minutes before he accepted the offer.
Well 4 days after accepting my offer I got the first rendition and wow I was very pleased with what he has produced from a single sketch.
Goes to show that if something is beyond your skill there are others out there who can fulfil your needs for a reasonable price.

View attachment 337024

View attachment 337025

Hallo Peter,
bitte einen Link zu der Webseite von dem CD Trader.
Grüsse
Karl

Back