Which Admiralty style kit to buy?

I am a few months away from completing my build of the Mary Rose, but my mind turns to what my next build will be.

I want to build an Admiralty style model, you know the type - POF, part planked, exposed interior, good detail. I have had a look at the available kits and builds on this site, but would appreciate the experiences of you guys who have actually built one - what did you build, quality of material and instructions, good manufacturers (and those to avoid), etc.

I posted on this thread because whilst I am not a 'beginner' I am a beginner to an Admiralty style of model. I look forward to your help in narrowing down my list and thanks in advance.

Hi Graham,

It is all up to you. Depending on the time you want to spend, the size of the model you want to build, the available space in your workshop and the machinery you have at hand. Last but not least the budget.

There are some super kits on the market and most of these are from China in general all good quality kits but certainly never beginners level.

If you want to build something smaller the Alert of Trident or the la Coureur from CAF are both good options. As there are group builds of these available here you can always ask people to help you.

I build Alert myself and this was a really well designed kit which builds into a lovely model, allthough I have given it my own added features and used the kit as a basis.

If you want to build something big then currently CAF just realeased the La Renomee a frigat with full interior in POF. This kit is one of the pinnacles of kit building at the moment.

In between these you have plenty of choice but I would recommend you to browse the new kits on the market section because they are all discussed here.

At last I would recommend you to select a kit that you really love to build. If it is big or small it will be at least a project for a long time. If you select the kit you love you won t loose interest in it while building it.

Back