Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log

Postby eric61 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 pm

A simple but perhaps not too costly option, is to re-plank.
A lot of the 'second planking' strips are very thin and would not bulk out the hull or decks, if you have a wall with a blemish on it you would paint over or repaint the wall, n'est-ce pas?

Regards
Eric
Last edited by eric61 on Fri May 12, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook's Endeavour - current,
Sovereign of the Seas - current (deAgostini)
In queue: Marina II Fishing Boat by Artesania Latina
In queue: Mayflower by Model Shipways

"I was thinking then it all went blank!"
zoly99sask
Petty Officer Second Class

Postby zoly99sask » Fri May 12, 2017 5:01 pm

I personally really diappointed of the Mantua kits,major errors on the Santa Maria kit too,I replaced almost all the kit supplied wood and many modification on the kit itself.
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 am

Here's what happened: I knew I got started off in the wrong direction when I used Annealed Steel Wire (guage .03 mm) to use as "Iron nails" for the treenailing. I found out the hard way.
Even though the steel treenails were flush with the hull planking...DO NOT sand the side of the hull that has steel wire as the "dust" from the steel wire will EMBED itself into the hull planking and will give you a nasty blackend gray look of which I almost did not get out completely. This mistake is only at the bow covering an area of about 20 nails (40 mm of length at bow on one strip).

Hi Donnie, got to thinking(BTW don't do it, it's dangerous!) with regards the above, I feel brass wire or copper would have been better than steel. Regarding sanding, that is a no no. You can use a fine file, that will not leave a darkened "splash" of grey in the wood, finish off with a very fine file that will polish the metal and not remove any wood in the process. One realises that in the real world the nails were contersunk and a timber plug hammered in after, to simulate that on your model the plugs would have to be about 0.5mm or smaller in diameter, which is the very tip of a toothpick.
My preference - brass or copper wire.
Regards
Eric

Canoe21

Postby Canoe21 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Hello Donnie

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but this is model ship building and this sort of thing is to be expected. You are the Captain of your ship and if you are not happy, redo it but if you are at all pleased with its looks than move along to the next stage, the choice is yours, ENJOY.
canoe21 { Lawrence }
PRESENT BUILD - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1221 - GOLDEN HIND< Harold A. Underhill build plans, scale 1:60

Completed Build viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1172 HMS Bounty, scratch build, scale 1:60, using Amati build plans
popeye
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby popeye » Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 am

being honest Donnie.......I don't share your view of this project so far........I'd kill for a hull that looks like that! I've meet no one yet that can build with 100% accuracy.......you meet 'em......send 'em my way ;-) when this ship is built and rigged, you will see how minor some of these complaints were {by then, it will be moot}. at the moment, I'm building that Sergal Thermopylae. if there was a problem kit.....this one would be it. if the scale of the model doesn't kill it, the scale differences of the parts will...I'm having to scratch build quite a bit of it. to look at it where it stands now....it doesn't look bad, but that's because I made the changes.

have you given thought of drilling into the dummy stops to adjust the length of the cannons?
you could stain the outer hull to change the hue of the hull.
you didn't do anything to the lower decks, but have you thought of doing anything to the decking that will show?

you've done a great job so far.........keep up the good work! :)
finished builds:
Nordkap 476 / Cux 87 / Gundalow
Mary Ann / Susan A. / M&M fun ship
Phylly C & Denny-Zen / AmericA
Andrea Gail

in cue:
Gothenborg
Half Moon
Boulogne Etaples
trawler Syborn
U.S.S. United States
Holiday Harbor
Titanic
Donnie
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Postby Donnie » Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks Popeye and all. I appreciate it. Well, I worked through it and got one side done. Here are some pics. I have not installed the extra Wales parts. I also do not know what color to paint the Wales. The box has them natural, BUT the box art is from other picture. The Box art is not using the laser cut pieces, so it must be an old box art. So, I am not sure if to paint the Wales a dark brown or flat black followed with satin poly. Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Attachments
planking144.jpg
planking144.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 34 times
planking145.jpg
planking145.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 34 times
planking146.jpg
planking146.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 34 times
planking147.jpg
planking147.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !
eric61
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby eric61 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 am

Hi Donnie, have a look at this link, it may give you an idea regards color,

http://www.modelships.de/San_Felipe_169 ... ticity.htm

also some interesting history there!
Regards
Eric
PS. Also this, you may have looked here B4,
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=span ... 8&dpr=1.25

Eric

janos
Petty Officer Third Class
Petty Officer Third Class

Postby janos » Thu May 25, 2017 8:22 am

Looks great, Donnie!
I don't treenail my SoS but I did it on my Royal Caroline, and made it somewhat simpler with a trick. Holes are drilled but no trenail is inserted, just a mixture of sawdust & carpenter glue (plus some drops of acrylic to make it darker) will be smoothened into the surface and the rest is wiped off with a wet rug. Cheating I know but takes portion of the time (treenails do not have to be manufactured). Some people use timber filler for this.
Another thing to the hull sanding after steel treenails: it is dangerous, not only because of the decoloration but mostly because the iron dust which can't be fully removed, will rust later and it will make a nasty looking hull.
Janos
Donnie

Postby Donnie » Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Janos, you are 100% correct in all accounts. Eric and others, thanks for the support. I think I am suffering from Artistry Remorse ! It is what it is and I am going to make the best of it. A lot of brass ornamentation will be covering up a lot of this and I am not worried about it too much.
The treenail idea of fillers is good and I should have went that route. But I guess I call myself trying to reach better heights of modeling. Oh well, I just look at it as experience.
Every SF I have looked at are all different - and as most articles point out, there is a serious lack of documentation. The tones and colors of the natural wood are horrible. All the Walnut strips are different shades and grains. When I was reading "The Anatomy of Admiral Style Ships" the author wrote about his frustrations on plans that were lacking detail and being so incomplete that I think he had to find another ship to build.

I don't want to come across negative, I am just putting this out there to help folks think about how to "avoid" my pitfalls.
Current Build Prep: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

No Guts, No Glory !

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”