Build Log: Panart Armed Pinnace

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: zoly99sask, Aussie048

lauckstreet
Petty Officer Third Class

Re: Build Log: Panart Armed Pinnace

Post by lauckstreet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Very nice job Graham. This is the first time I've seen your build log but I'll be following it to the end now. I especially like the way you handled the making of the cannon tools. Very innovative.

Take care,

Bob
Bob Hunt
Lauck Street Shipyard
https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com

Graham
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Graham » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.
The drawings show the cannon equipment laying around in the boat, but I don't think that is the way any navy works so I made some hooks and hung it on the side of the carriage - all 'Ship-shape' as the saying goes.
a.JPG
a.JPG (69.25 KiB) Viewed 262 times
b.JPG
b.JPG (68.49 KiB) Viewed 262 times
The exterior of the hull is now finished; I will not be painting the lower part from the waterline down on this model. Some decoration is placed on the stern in the blue area (it is a lasercut pattern) but nothing is provided for the side areas. I am thinking on it, not sure yet and it can be done later when I figure it out.
c.JPG
c.JPG (58.2 KiB) Viewed 262 times
d.JPG
d.JPG (64.55 KiB) Viewed 262 times

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello Graham,everything just looks fabulous ,I checked out that german scale model flag website on a german forum and by the comments seems like a good quality supplier.

http://www.schiffsmodellflaggen.de/deut ... talog.html

http://www.modelships.de/Flaggen-Beispiele.htm

Aginvicta
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Aginvicta » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:04 am

I have just enjoyed reading through your build log Graham, and I've picked up some great tips on boat building. I agree with you I certainly would not want to be on that boat when that gun was being fired,

Cheers Andy

Graham

Post by Graham » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

Zoltan - thank you for the follow-up, very much appreciated.

Andy - thanks, I think it's important to share tips and techniques; not only what goes well but also what doesn't and how I fixed it - and there have been a few of those instances, believe me!

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm

I was going to put the handrail on next, but it will not be possible to get the bench seats in as they won't angle in with the handrail in place. So, I'd better put the interior bits in; I was hoping to do this a bit later in order to save on getting them dusty, but never mind.

At the stern first. Extra nails fitted where necessary and the hawser holes are made from a couple of brass rivets painted up -
a.JPG
a.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 200 times
b.JPG
b.JPG (90.82 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Next the bench supports and mast base. Measuring up -
c.JPG
c.JPG (83.71 KiB) Viewed 200 times
... and fitted -
d.JPG
d.JPG (71.13 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Now on to the gratings and hatches. I figure they'd need to lift them up somehow, so I made up some ring pulls (eyelet and brass ring) and put one on each corner -
e.JPG
e.JPG (91.65 KiB) Viewed 200 times
f.JPG
f.JPG (83.77 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Bench seats in place -
g.JPG
g.JPG (91.25 KiB) Viewed 200 times
... and brackets on the end -
h.JPG
h.JPG (80.17 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Now I can get on with those handrails.

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:50 pm

The front handrails went on easily and as I had used the hull for the two profiles it was straightforward. The rear side-rails needed bending, as did the piece on the transom. After a hot water soak some brute force was applied -
a.JPG
a.JPG (92 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Then fitted -
b.JPG
b.JPG (98.46 KiB) Viewed 166 times
.... and painted -
c.JPG
c.JPG (72.92 KiB) Viewed 166 times
On to making some buckets. The circular profiles are laser cut and I used a length of dowel to space them -
d.JPG
d.JPG (77.9 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Each stave had to be shaped separately so it was a bit time consuming. I have also made some boxes for the hell of it. Here they are in the rough -
e.JPG
e.JPG (85.97 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am

One of the barrels after a gentle going over with the palm sander. The top inner disc is now to be removed and before I put them together I drilled a couple of holes so I could get a dental pick in to hook it out. I also pinned them top and bottom to make them solid and that worked well considering the staves are only glued at the base and edges - no staves split during sanding. However, the pin stops the disc being removed, so I ground the top off and is came out easily.
a.JPG
a.JPG (50.39 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Now what is removed can be stuck on the bottom as an aid to hold them when staining. Look like little wooden wine glasses!
b.JPG
b.JPG (91.22 KiB) Viewed 126 times
All finished. I made a box for the compass and a couple of others as I have in mind a diorama, but that's just a rough idea at the moment.
c.JPG
c.JPG (73.36 KiB) Viewed 126 times
On to the oars. The shaft has a slot in it to take the oar blade. Previous experience on making a slot by drilling a line of holes and then using a knife and file has not been good. I do not have a bandsaw so what I did was make a baseplate and then clamp the jigsaw to the bench.
d.JPG
d.JPG (47.84 KiB) Viewed 126 times
I used a fine toothed blade and then pushed the dowel towards it. There was some chatter of the workpiece because I'm not really using the jigsaw as is intended, but if you take it slowly is works fine and the end result is quite acceptable. Here are the pieces in the rough -
e.JPG
e.JPG (69.58 KiB) Viewed 126 times

DonRobinson

Post by DonRobinson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:09 am

Great build so far, from what I can see(most of your pictures were lost in the crash). I love those buckets and boxes, how many staves did you use in the buckets? This model is a good size for detailing and you are doing a fine job.
Don

Graham

Post by Graham » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Don. Regarding your question, there are 19 staves in the larger bucket, 16 in the smaller.
Following your comment I checked all my posts/logs and all photos have gone. One day we will laugh about it, but not today :angry-banghead:.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”