ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: zoly99sask, Aussie048

neptune
Petty Officer First Class

Re: ZHL Royal Caroline Kit, scale 1/30

Post by neptune » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:27 pm

lauckstreet wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 pm
Hi John,

This is a great build log. I've had my eye on this kit for about a year now but the cost of the kit is currently out of my price range. Maybe some day I'll be able to afford it.

The carvings are what drew me to this kit. I have been building the ZHL Le Requin kit for about a year now, and the boxwood carvings in that kit are the best I've every seen, so perfectly milled, so detailed and clean looking. I've still got months to go on the masting and rigging but I know I'll finish it and have a model I'll be proud to display in my home and eventually pass on to my daughter some day.

Thanks for posting such a detailed build log. I'll be following it to the end and hopefully some day I'll have the opportunity to build this kit myself.

Take care,

Bob

G'day Bob, thank you for your overly generous comments, they are much appreciated, when I purchased the kit there three levels of wood quality, the cheapest was $1200 USD and was pear wood that had slightly different shades of wood hue, that is why I used the Rose wood wax to darken the carvings, so as to blend them in more, then the next level was selected pear wood where the wood is matched for colour, and then the top of the range was the Box wood, which was right out of my price, I have been very happy with the kit, as I have said through the build log you really need to study and be adaptable to work things through, but I enjoy that part of the building process, a big mistake I made was to say no to the English instructions and parts list at the beginning as I thought it would be too much trouble for them to do, but a few weeks ago I asked Max and they sent the English parts list and instructions and things are much better, and as you say all the parts in the kit are amazing, I've never built any kit as good as this, thanks for viewing my build log and I look forward to seeing you on it again,

best regards John.

lauckstreet
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by lauckstreet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:05 am

Hi John,

I'm building their Le Requin kit which has zero English instructions, only drawings of the construction sequence. The build hasn't been too difficult except for the stern transom. I had a time with that area. My parts just didn't fit and I ended up leaving one frame out completely.

I'm also building a Chinese POF kit of the Mayflower. It's a nice kit but not sold by ZHL. I found it on eBay a few months ago. Again, no English instructions, only drawings but so far construction has been pretty easy and straight forward.

$1200.00 isn't a bad price for the Caroline and like you, I can live with off color pearwood carvings. I'll have to look into that rosewood wax. I really like the effect it gives the carvings. Makes them look like carvings you would find on a really old museum model.

So perhaps some day I will get the $1200 kit. After all, I paid $1170 for the Le Requin. The Mayflower was only $430 which I thought was a great price - all cherry, no carvings though, and a great jig to frame it up in.

Anyway, I'll certainly be following your build to the end. I think this kit is really amazing and you're doing a great job bringing it to life. From what I've seen in SOS, there's some really skilled modelers here and it's a real pleasure to see some of their work.

Take care,

Bob
Bob Hunt
Lauck Street Shipyard
https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com

zoly99sask
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by zoly99sask » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 am

lauckstreet wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:05 am
Hi John,

I'm building their Le Requin kit which has zero English instructions, only drawings of the construction sequence. The build hasn't been too difficult except for the stern transom. I had a time with that area. My parts just didn't fit and I ended up leaving one frame out completely.

I'm also building a Chinese POF kit of the Mayflower. It's a nice kit but not sold by ZHL. I found it on eBay a few months ago. Again, no English instructions, only drawings but so far construction has been pretty easy and straight forward.

$1200.00 isn't a bad price for the Caroline and like you, I can live with off color pearwood carvings. I'll have to look into that rosewood wax. I really like the effect it gives the carvings. Makes them look like carvings you would find on a really old museum model.

So perhaps some day I will get the $1200 kit. After all, I paid $1170 for the Le Requin. The Mayflower was only $430 which I thought was a great price - all cherry, no carvings though, and a great jig to frame it up in.

Anyway, I'll certainly be following your build to the end. I think this kit is really amazing and you're doing a great job bringing it to life. From what I've seen in SOS, there's some really skilled modelers here and it's a real pleasure to see some of their work.

Take care,

Bob
Hello Bob,we would love to see your ships in detailed build logs.

lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:15 am

Hi Zoltan,

I'm working on that. I have to resize all of my images for posting them but that's something I plan to start working on today. First up will be my Mayflower build which is going well but I stopped to do some rigging on my Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour model.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Hunt
Lauck Street Shipyard
https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 am

Hi Greg,
That is really a nice kit. Did it come from China?
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

Donnie
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Donnie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 am

I thought I saw a Sherline lathe a few pages back. Everything looking good.
Donnie
Donnie
Current Build: Panart San Felipe 1:75
Completed Build: Santisima Trinidad

Main SOS Site: Ships of Scale Website

"War Ships are safe at harbor, but that is not what they were made for"

neptune

Post by neptune » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:25 am

Sgtmik wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 am
Hi Greg,
That is really a nice kit. Did it come from China?

G'day Mike, yes I bought it from China, it is a ZHL Kit,

best regards John.

neptune

Post by neptune » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:28 am

Donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:36 am
I thought I saw a Sherline lathe a few pages back. Everything looking good.
Donnie

Thanks Donnie, yes it is a sherline, a long bed one, but I have it powered with a different motor, they are a very nice lathe to work with,

best regards John.

Sgtmik

Post by Sgtmik » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 am

Hi Greg,
Do you have a link for that Company? :handgestures-salute:
Mike

Current Builds : HMAV Bounty
Caravel Santa Maria
Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat
H.M. Bark Endeavour
Builds in Cue: H.M.S. Endeavour's Long Boat
U.S.S. Constitution

neptune

Post by neptune » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:46 am

All the photo' have now been re posted on this build log, enjoy, :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:,

best regards John.

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”