AL Colonial Schooner "Independence" by DocBlake - 5/16" scale

This Build Log Section is for Wood Ships. Enter your Build Log here. It is advisable for others to follow your Build Log to start your post such as "Build Log: HMS Ship name"

Moderators: Aussie048, zoly99sask

DocBlake
Seaman
Seaman

AL Colonial Schooner "Independence" by DocBlake - 5/16" scale

Post by DocBlake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:20 pm

This will be my build log for AL's "Independence 1775". First let me say that this is an entirely fictional vessel, much like Al's Swift or Harvey. It is , however, representative of the colonial schooners built in America between 1763 and 1775. Harold Hahn covers these ships in his book "The Colonial Schooner - 1763 - 1775"

I was drawn to the vessel because of her lines, and especially the bluff bow. But what convinced me to build this model was the excellent build log of Clare Hess (logged here on this forum

Clare is building the model on commission and has seriously kit-bashed the build. The result is a beautiful , if fictional, colonial schooner circa 1775.

The first problem with the kit is the scale. The box cover lists the model as 1:35 scale. At that large scale, the model would be very small...smaller in fact than "Sultana", the smallest schooner known to have been built. A vessel that tiny would never be able to be armed with 4 carriage-mounted cannons. What to do?

Clare decided to build the model in 1:48 scale. I chose a different path. After researching both the "Halifax" and "Sultana" in Hahn's book, I discovered that if I built the kit in 5/16" scale, the model would be a little smaller than "Halifax" but larger than "Sultana". She should be able to carry 4 three-pounder cannons

The 5/16" scale is unusual, and it translates to 1:38.4! Convieniently this works out to 8 mm = 1 inch, a convenient ratio. So I'll be building "Independence" using metric measurements.

I completed the hull framing and reinforced the framing with blocks. Probably overkill, but the bulkheads are plywood and very hard. Fairing the hull would put a lot of stress on them so I decided better safe than sorry.

I plan to use the same wood scheme as Clare: boxwood decking, boxwood and swiss pear hull planking. I will used redheart for the inboard bulwark planking and the deck furniture ordinarily painted red. I plan to use the barest minimum of paint possible.
Attachments
indybox.jpg
indybox.jpg (155.18 KiB) Viewed 164 times
blockframe.jpg
blockframe.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 164 times

DocBlake
Seaman
Seaman

Re: AL Colonial Schooner "Independence" by DocBlake - 5/16" scale

Post by DocBlake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 pm

I glued the deck segments to the framework with one hour epoxy and used the famous little yellow nails to hold until dry. These were removed and any imperfections in the sub deck filled with Elmer's wood filler. I drew a centerline on the deck and then laid out where the deck beams would be to guide the treenailing. There is nothing scientific or historically accurate in the way the deck is laid out. I just went with what was pleasing to the eye. Next is planking the deck (that's the common build order for AL kits).
Attachments
subdeck.jpg
subdeck.jpg (122.38 KiB) Viewed 161 times

DocBlake
Seaman
Seaman

Post by DocBlake » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:56 pm

I've completed the deck planking, including the fo'c'sle. Now it's on to treenailing. I've had problems using the Byrnes drawplate in the past, so I'm using a little different technique. I wanted the treenails to be in proper scale: about 1 scale inch in diameter or slightly larger. That translates to about .031" - a #68 drill hole would work. The problem is that if I use a toothpick as a treenail, very little of the tip will fit into that small a hole and I'd run the risk of the treenails not holding. My answer was to take a toothpick and using some pressure and twisting, force it into the 31 hole on the Byrnes draw plate, The result was a longer treenail that penetrates through the planking and false deck underneath it. Each birch toothpick gives 2 treenails. They're glued in by touching the tip in some CA and pushing firmly in the hole. I really like the look of the boxwood for the decking! Maybe better than holly.
Attachments
nails1.jpg
nails1.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 128 times
nails2.jpg
nails2.jpg (106.57 KiB) Viewed 128 times
nails3.jpg
nails3.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 128 times
nails4.jpg
nails4.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Aginvicta
Seaman
Seaman

Post by Aginvicta » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:41 pm

That's a great looking deck, I like the way you have fitted the edge planks, not sure of the correct term for it. There is a nice shine to the deck have you used a stain or varnish on it.
Cheers Andy

DocBlake
Seaman
Seaman

Post by DocBlake » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Andy!

Letting the planking into the margin plank is called "nibbing" and the margin plank (the one around the edge of the deck planking) is sometimes called a "nibbing strake". It's done that way to prevent the planks from ending in a sharp poiont which would cause them to rot easily. The deck is finished with Minwax wipe on polyurethane

Dave

mrshanks
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by mrshanks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Looks great Dave. One of these days I will get treenailing a try.
Mike Shanks

GaryM
Senoir Chief Petty Officer
Senoir Chief Petty Officer

Post by GaryM » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Nice start. I have seen Clare's model and it make a nice and interesting model.
Happy modeling,
Gary Maple

Problems are just challenges waiting for your solution.

Current build: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas
In Que: Sergal: Cutty Sark and Amerigo Vespucci; Billings Titanic
Completed: Amati: HMS Prince (old 1:78 version); Billings: Norske Love and Vasa; Mantua: La Couronne; Sergal: Mississippi Riverboat and La Soleil Royal

DonRobinson
Seaman
Seaman

Post by DonRobinson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm

I like how she is shaping up Dave
Don

lauckstreet

Post by lauckstreet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 am

Ah, I remember this build Dave. I won't reveal how it ends, don't want to spoil it all for the rest of the group :lol: :lol: :lol: Let's just say it has a happy ending!

Take care,

Bob
Bob Hunt
Lauck Street Shipyard
https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com

DocBlake
Seaman
Seaman

Post by DocBlake » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks, All!

I installed the bulwark formers (plywood), bending them at the bow with a clothes iron. The scupper bottoms need to line up with the top of the decking, The shear needs to rise gracefully toward the bow, and the top of the bulwark formers need to line up with the top of the poop deck planking. Lots of fiddly stuff, so I opted for one hour epoxy to glue the parts in place, along with the famous "little yellow nails". I got a nice flow for the shear line. I finished the first planking without too much difficulty. I admit I was intimidated by the bluff bow!

Dave
Attachments
1stplank1.jpg
1stplank1.jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 58 times
1stplank2.jpg
1stplank2.jpg (201.04 KiB) Viewed 58 times
1stplank3.jpg
1stplank3.jpg (169.78 KiB) Viewed 58 times

Return to “SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood”