‘Master and Commander’ Prequel in the Works From ‘Chaos Walking’ Writer

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

0A9A5747-B6E2-4F2C-992B-9D15B565CFFD.jpeg

Initially reported via Deadline, it seems the newly minted 20th Century Studios is working on a prequel to the 2003 seafaring film. Screenwriter Patrick Ness, who scribed the 2016 family drama “A Monster Calls” will tackle the screenplay. There are currently no stars or a director attached.

I wonder if they'll be able to again use the HMS Surprise replica, which is docked at the Maritime Museum of San Diego...?
I guess that this and other details are open until the book or screenplay is written.....
Due to the fact, that it is a prequel of the known film, there will be also other actors to be ssen.
I can not imagine to see Russel Crowe (now 56 years old), who acted as captain Jack Aubrey, as a young officer

So I guess they would follow more the carreer of "Jack Aubrey"....

There are the ships he was serving in all the novels

Unbenannt.JPG

Maybe the new film describes some period of his time on the HM Sloop Sophie .... we will see

Ah, this is a subject close to my heart. I am currently on Patrick O'Brian's seventh book in the Aubrey/Maturin series called The Surgeon's Mate. The Crowe movie was based on his first novel, Master and Commander, and the potential for a series of flicks based on these books is tremendous. O'Brian's novels are exceptionally well written and I am eternally grateful that he saw fit to write twenty of them, each as good as the previous and the end of one flowing very easily into the start of the next. Hard to put down. I couldn't recommend them highly enough, especially if you enjoy sail ships at the turn of the 19th century which most people on this site probably are :)

Ah, this is a subject close to my heart. I am currently on Patrick O'Brian's seventh book in the Aubrey/Maturin series called The Surgeon's Mate. The Crowe movie was based on his first novel, Master and Commander, and the potential for a series of flicks based on these books is tremendous. O'Brian's novels are exceptionally well written and I am eternally grateful that he saw fit to write twenty of them, each as good as the previous and the end of one flowing very easily into the start of the next. Hard to put down. I couldn't recommend them highly enough, especially if you enjoy sail ships at the turn of the 19th century which most people on this site probably are :)
Actually, the film was an amalgamation of several of the books, but you are dead-on that it was a superbly-written series. Would start reading it again tomorrow if Amazon would give me e-book credits for all the hard copy I bought back in the day.

Actually, the film was an amalgamation of several of the books, but you are dead-on that it was a superbly-written series. Would start reading it again tomorrow if Amazon would give me e-book credits for all the hard copy I bought back in the day.
I'm going to have to watch the movie again as I only started reading the books many years after its production. Well, sounds like a good excuse anyway. As for Amazon, I'm not sure how the site in the US compares to the one we have here down under, but the kindle store prices have suddenly shot up astronomically for the O'Brian series. One minute you could purchase a copy for AUD5.99, the next it was AUD23! Maybe hang on to that hard copy ;)

I'm going to have to watch the movie again as I only started reading the books many years after its production. Well, sounds like a good excuse anyway. As for Amazon, I'm not sure how the site in the US compares to the one we have here down under, but the kindle store prices have suddenly shot up astronomically for the O'Brian series. One minute you could purchase a copy for AUD5.99, the next it was AUD23! Maybe hang on to that hard copy ;)
If you have a good sound system attached to your screen the opening sequence of cannon fire is magnificent, the sub-woofer really gets a workout.:)

If you have a good sound system attached to your screen the opening sequence of cannon fire is magnificent, the sub-woofer really gets a workout.:)
The sound is the thing that made it real for me. I saw it in a theatre the first time, then bought the DVD to watch it over and over, but even with my excellent sound system, I think nothing compares to the full surround sound of the theatre.

One of my favorite sailing scenes is when they are heading south around the horn, and winter is causing some snow, the camera back up from the ship, and as it does, one sees a sailing hanging it out up front taking care of business.

I have read that the intention is to concentrate on the beginnings. Aubrey not yet Post Captain, the Mediterranean, and the 'Sophie'. Younger actors, of course, to replace Crowe and Bettany. The original stories based on the exploits of Sir Thomas Cochrane on the brig sloop HMS Speedy (see Vanguard models) 'Sophie' deviates from Speedy, with an added quarterdeck and a stern gallery. Modelers can't find a real ship that fits the description (I've spent hours on the NMM website) so, to date, no builds!! As for the film. This is the story I would personally have chosen to make instead of the 'Far Side'. Fingers crossed that it doesn't get shelved.

Back