“La Jacinthe” Schooner France -1:42 scale

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

WOW - after some days when I looked last time into your log and today - Very good progress and very good results
Many thanks for sharing with us these interesting photos - BTW: I like the appearance of your hull very much - very accurate work and the oiled surface is super Thumbs-UpThumbs-Up

Kortes

Wow Aleksandr,your work is nothing short of exemplary.May I ask,what tool do you scribe the planking joints with after laying?I know Dimitry Shevelev actually leaves a small gap for his finish to lay into,but your hull planking looks like it is tight together.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Greetings, dear Nigel.
In order to highlight the joints, I used, just like Dimitriy, a dull needle, and afterwards, on advise of my friend with much experience in this field, i worked on the joints using a small triangular broach file. But there's one nuance. Before putting the covering I took away a small bevel from the edges of the upper part of each plank. And most importantly, like I was saying earlier, is not to let any glue get on flat end of a plank.
My best regards.

NMBROOK

Thank you Alexsandr.
This process is not easy to get consistent results but I can see the chamfer helps.I did find on the Russian forum a homemade tool using the blade from an Olfa knife where you can run this down the plank to get a consistent chamfer,The blade was adjustable so you could change the size and angle of the bevel.The tool was basically a pear block with a slit cut in it to suit the thickness of the plank.You may be familiar with this device.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Jimsky

Staff member
Blandford Group Build

Wow, Aleksander! You are a tools maker as well!! Great set of mini planes! What steel did you use to make a knife for the planes? Can you explain how you remove fossa from a long plank?

Kortes

Greetings dear colleague,
I make instruments only in case of necessity, if i dont have a possibility to buy it. So, I dont have anything to show. The story with the carpenter's plane is different, my friend showed me the japanese mini- carpenter's planes he bought, and i wanted to have the same. I couldnt find them for sale anywhere in my country, so I had to make them myself. the cutting element was made out of the old metal cutters. I just had the inspiration at that time.

Kortes

I decided to begin with what I considered the easiest element - the snake . I couldn’t find boxwood. I didn’t use lime tree due to its softness. So I have opted for a peartree, at least I’ll get some practice.I studied this part of work on the forum, of all my colleagues, found lots of useful information, for what I’m very grateful.