“La Jacinthe” Schooner France -1:42 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Lovely build. What did you use for the deck caulking?

I used plastic film for calking. I used this method when i was building "Carolina". All that one needs for this can be found in any stationary shop.
Plastic bag for paper (they can be found in different colors and thickness) and two sides adhesive duct tape. I
use the balck side of the plastic bag. I put the duct tape on plastic fim and cut it in stripes according to the thickness of the batten,
it can be made with a small margin, then I separate
protective paper from the strip and stick on the end of the batten, the allowances are cut off with the knife, - it's cutting off nicely.
Here are several photos, maybe they can be of use to somebody. If you have any questions - it would be my pleasure to help.

Last edited:
Although the process of lath bending has been highlighted many times, I would still like to share my experience. I think it could come in handy in the process of covering of the overhang and taffrail. I tried different modes, but decided to use the one that consists in bending the steam-treated plank on the pattern. This complicates the process a bit, making it more time-consuming, but when setting in place, the further work is much more comfortable. The lath I used is no less than 1,5mm thick, if it’s thick it can be refined using marking gage. 80371803728037380374

Now, some of my mistakes…
In order to warn my colleagues, who , just like me , don’t have too much
experience, I wanted to highlight my mistake in the process of covering
More than once in the working process I saw that THE BEST IS THE
ENEMY OF THE GOOD. After having completed the covering I decided ,
following the example of the Masters, to highlight the joints between the
laths a bit. As a result, I haven’t succeeded in it, but I ruined the
covering. The reason turned out to be banal – the glue on the plank ends,
which wasn’t erased in time.

To be honest - I liked your first planking as well, it was than only the mistake afterwards with the cutting of the joints, or?
Both versions: very good planking work - really looking good
I have one question to your caulking method with the plastic strips: Can you sand the plastic down afterwards to the plank level without problems? Do you scrap the deck or sand it?

Nice to hear that a master like you can say that they themselves make a mistake sometimes, old school bending technique, nice to see, very good work.

Dear KNUT.
This is my first work made from the ground up, working on it I have gained a certain experience, I had many mistakes and remaiking ahead of me, but the help of the Masters on the forums was a great help fo me. We are communicating to help each other. My best regards

To be honest - I liked your first planking as well, it was than only the mistake afterwards with the cutting of the joints, or?
Both versions: very good planking work - really looking good
I have one question to your caulking method with the plastic strips: Can you sand the plastic down afterwards to the plank level without problems? Do you scrap the deck or sand it?

My greetings, dear Uwe.
Regarding the strips, after flooring the surface is leveled down using sandpaper, and after scraping. It's processed very easily.
My best regards.

Sketching and putting treenail in place are still to be done. I’m still trying out on samples. As I will have to drill a lot, the manual drill will not be the best solution, I had to work on and upgrade my mini-drill. I bought it on flea-market a long time ago, but couldn’t find any use of it. Yesterday I installed a small switch and now I’m testing it.

Looking very very good
-> very accurate nailing pattern! - do you punsh the point before you start with the electric drill? Or do you start directly with the drill?
=> definitely your caulking with these plastic strips is looking great - fits completely the scale !
-> Just recognized that it is not 1:36, but 1:42 - how it came to this special and not so usual scale?
Sorry for all these questions......

Looking very very good
-> very accurate nailing pattern! - do you punsh the point before you start with the electric drill? Or do you start directly with the drill?
=> definitely your caulking with these plastic strips is looking great - fits completely the scale !
-> Just recognized that it is not 1:36, but 1:42 - how it came to this special and not so usual scale?
Sorry for all these questions......

My greetings, dear Uwe.
After marking and before drilling, I set a mark of each hole with an awl. Regarding the unusual scale - the defining moment of the making the choice were the final dimensions of the model. My appartment, though cozy, is not spacy and the model was built so that it would fit in my workroom and, most importantly so that it would fit harmoniously into the interior of the room where it would be set.

Back