Caf Model - New Kit 1/48 Le Coureur 1776

It will be very good companion for Triden's Alert, for sure! Will it have choice of wood, and english instruction? I would consider this kit as well! Should we create another list of modelers consider Le Coureur 1776 to purchase?

It will be very good companion for Triden's Alert, for sure! Will it have choice of wood, and english instruction? I would consider this kit as well! Should we create another list of modelers consider Le Coureur 1776 to purchase?
I think this would be a good idea

Looks great. But, I have the same question for this model and models/plans for Alert: where’s the binnacle? If no binnacle then where’s the compass? If no compass on deck then how do you steer a course?

Looks great. But, I have the same question for this model and models/plans for Alert: where’s the binnacle? If no binnacle then where’s the compass? If no compass on deck then how do you steer a course?

Yes, I am thinking about it. There is no clear information in the original drawing. In addition, I also refer to Ancre's monograph, and there is no compass cabinet

I have two ideas

1: At that time, the ship was too small to be equipped with a fixed compass cabinet. They used small mobile equipment

2: If he uses a compass, his size will be smaller

69.jpg
Maybe it's this

Hope to get your suggestions

Hello,

I believe small vessels use a tool called Sextant. Here is what wekepedia said:

View attachment 141341 View attachment 141342
A sextant is used to determine latitude using either the position of specific stars or the sun in relation to the horizon. It is also used to determine latitude by determining true noon and comparing it to GMT as shown by a chronometer. It does not take the place of a compass. And, if course, it cannot be used at all in overcast conditions. You might Be able to roughly steer a true course by the stars (the Polynesians could) but not if there are clouds in your way.

Back