1/48 L'Egyptienne Frigate

Hello again everyone!

I'm in the process of gathering all the necessary materials and setting up the workshop, in the next couple weeks I hope to start on L'Egyptienne. I'll be working from the Ancre monograph plans for the 24 pound Frigate L'Egyptienne, review you can find here:

The plan is to build her in pearwood, with basswood carvings, planking, and siding, and basswood carvings/accessories.

A little background on where I've been. I had taken a short break from my Hannah when we had a burglary, they took all of the tools and supplies because they were boxed nicely while I was moving things around. Luckily lots of the other things that were stolen were recovered; however, they threw away everything from the shipyard. So I've decided to call the Hannah complete and move onto a more ambitious project. The positive that came from all of this was that everything was insured, so I've outfitted an entirely new workshop and am very excited.

Many of the tools I was using previously have just been replaced with the same, except for a few important pieces.

I replaced my table saw, disc sander, and added a thickness sander from Byrnes Model Machines that I'm very excited to get started with.

The rest of the new tools I'll point out along the way. I spent a lot of time researching replacements and I'm really excited to get started.

The last thing I have to do is determine how much wood I'll need. I can't seem to find a way to calculate how much wood I should order. I'm trying to avoid making over a bunch of orders of the months just because the time it takes to arrive. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make those calculations let me know! I did get a bandsaw so I plan on ordering billets and resaw the pieces myself to have more control over quality. Something I learned the hard way with the Hannah.

I am also going to try and do more videos instead of photos this time around, so we'll see how that goes!

Hello again everyone!

I'm in the process of gathering all the necessary materials and setting up the workshop, in the next couple weeks I hope to start on L'Egyptienne. I'll be working from the Ancre monograph plans for the 24 pound Frigate L'Egyptienne, review you can find here:

The plan is to build her in pearwood, with basswood carvings, planking, and siding, and basswood carvings/accessories.

A little background on where I've been. I had taken a short break from my Hannah when we had a burglary, they took all of the tools and supplies because they were boxed nicely while I was moving things around. Luckily lots of the other things that were stolen were recovered; however, they threw away everything from the shipyard. So I've decided to call the Hannah complete and move onto a more ambitious project. The positive that came from all of this was that everything was insured, so I've outfitted an entirely new workshop and am very excited.

Many of the tools I was using
good luck with your new project, I will follow with great curiosity

Hello again everyone!

Many of the tools I was using previously have just been replaced with the same, except for a few important pieces.

I replaced my table saw, disc sander, and added a thickness sander from Byrnes Model Machines that I'm very excited to get started with.

The rest of the new tools I'll point out along the way. I spent a lot of time researching replacements and I'm really excited to get started.

The last thing I have to do is determine how much wood I'll need. I can't seem to find a way to calculate how much wood I should order. I'm trying to avoid making over a bunch of orders of the months just because the time it takes to arrive. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to make those calculations let me know! I did get a bandsaw so I plan on ordering billets and resaw the pieces myself to have more control over quality. Something I learned the hard way with the Hannah.

I am also going to try and do more videos instead of photos this time around, so we'll see how that goes!
Good morning Gventura, congratulations for choosing this vessel, if you allow me to advise you on a good documentation on the construction before starting

Hello Gventura

I am also in the planning stages for my build of L'Egyptienne. I will be following your building log and hopefully sharing thoughts and ideas.
We all hope, that you start also your building log of this highy interesting project :cool:

@Gventura, nice that you were insured and can now buy the tools you tell about, the saw from Byrnes I should have wanted myself, the grinder too, I look forward to you starting your new adventure, greetings Knut-

Because of where i live i now source all my wood locally and prepare it on the table saw and band saw. So my first suggestion is to see whats available near to you or from an exotic wood dealer near by. As to the quantity, its good to collect wood so within reason buy what you can get. The biggest challenge is that the wood need to be dried and freshly milled lumber needs 6-12 months to get to 7% moisture content, unless you can find someone with a kiln. i have a few videos on milling and collecting lumber from logs if you like.

Hello again everyone!

Hallo @Gventura
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Lumber has arrived!

20220505_155154.jpg

Should be enough to build the frames and keel, at least, hopefully will take me a lot further. First there's a few boards specifically for finishing the longboat build so I'll be doing that first.

I probably should have been building the jig while I was waiting for the lumber to arrive, so gotta do that as well.

Beautiful timbers, a very nice and pleasant color for steamed Pear (SwissPear). The black timber is Ebony or? What is the source (store\shop) of this wood?
That is ebony, may end up needing to order some thicker pieces depending on the method I choose for planking the Wales.

This, like all my wood for projects is from Dave at Lumberyard. Very nice order put together, took about two weeks to arrive.

Back