1:64 cutter SHERBORNE, 1763

Hi Everybody.

So here I start to present the build of this 1763 cutter.
Before that, just a quick point on the fact that all my previous modeling, as seen in my youtube playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE86FA4A2FAC0D615 alwyay has been a mix of wood and cardboard.
The 2 high seas fishing boats seen below, just like the other models, have all wood structures but the planking is always 2mm thick cardboard. In fact I have always been a fan of cardboard planking, as long as it would be painted in the end :).
DSCN0055_v1.JPG

So the cutter SHERBORNE is in fact the first truly all wooden project. Plus the fact that it is clinker. This obviously required a bit of adaptation. But "a bit" of clinker was in fact part of my first ever model, the cod fishing dory seen in youtube.

I apologise for the not so good photos quality, but I had no better conditions at the time:

DSCN0044.JPGDSCN0045.JPGDSCN0046.JPGDSCN0047.JPG

One of my main joys in modeling is finding materials out of the mainstream. So instead of buying the usual woods I prefer to find objects of daily life that may be used. Fruit baskets, kitchen ware, coconut broom threads :), etc.
So for SHERBORNE I am using for the keel wood from "salad tongs" and for planking "coffee stirrers".

DSCN0038.JPGDSCN0039.JPGDSCN0040.JPGDSCN0041.JPGDSCN0042.JPGDSCN0043.JPG

The base for the model is the original old english plan, plus a lot of observations from other SHERBORNE model builds. I usually prefer to give my builds as much detail as possible, with a bit of "wear".

1613995040251.png

The photos already show my work at some advanced stage, but I believe it is still possible to see every construction detail before being covered up by deck or paint. The beauty of building in wood is that it should stay unpainted as much as possible :).

DSCN0048.JPGDSCN0049.JPGDSCN0050.JPGDSCN0051.JPGDSCN0052.JPGDSCN0054.JPG

Will gladly answer any questions from all of you.

DSCN0053.JPG

Hi all.

The SHERBORNE is said to have 3 pounders. Does anyone know how these small cannon balls were kept on deck? Was it inside crate boxes for instance, or they were on racks? For this small caliber internet search is not very fruitful. Thanks!!

Hi Everybody.

So here I start to present the build of this 1763 cutter.
Before that, just a quick point on the fact that all my previous modeling, as seen in my youtube playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE86FA4A2FAC0D615 alwyay has been a mix of wood and cardboard.
The 2 high seas fishing boats seen below, just like the other models, have all wood structures but the planking is always 2mm thick cardboard. In fact I have always been a fan of cardboard planking, as long as it would be painted in the end :).
View attachment 215367

So the cutter SHERBORNE is in fact the first truly all wooden project. Plus the fact that it is clinker. This obviously required a bit of adaptation. But "a bit" of clinker was in fact part of my first ever model, the cod fishing dory seen in youtube.

I apologise for the not so good photos quality, but I had no better conditions at the time:

View attachment 215356View attachment 215357View attachment 215358View attachment 215359

One of my main joys in modeling is finding materials out of the mainstream. So instead of buying the usual woods I prefer to find objects of daily life that may be used. Fruit baskets, kitchen ware, coconut broom threads :), etc.
So for SHERBORNE I am using for the keel wood from "salad tongs" and for planking "coffee stirrers".

View attachment 215350View attachment 215351View attachment 215352View attachment 215353View attachment 215354View attachment 215355

The base for the model is the original old english plan, plus a lot of observations from other SHERBORNE model builds. I usually prefer to give my builds as much detail as possible, with a bit of "wear".

View attachment 215376

The photos already show my work at some advanced stage, but I believe it is still possible to see every construction detail before being covered up by deck or paint. The beauty of building in wood is that it should stay unpainted as much as possible :).

View attachment 215360View attachment 215361View attachment 215362View attachment 215363View attachment 215364View attachment 215366

Will gladly answer any questions from all of you.

View attachment 215365
Hallo @cachinare
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the SHERBORNE going? Would be great to see some updates of your progress

Back