1/700 HMS Hood I Love Kit

Hello everyone, and thanks for stopping in and checking out this build. I got this kit about a week ago and have gotten a bit done already. This is a kit that I had bought for my son, however he is not as interested in ships as he is in tanks, so I will be picking up where he left off.
This is the I Love Kit 1/700 HMS Hood Top Grade Detail kit. Damn that's a mouthful.
The first thing I noticed about this kit, is the box that it comes in... It's heavy. Even when its empty. It feels more like wood than cardboard. Well done on the packaging.
As for what's inside the box- I won't lie.. not as many sprues as I had expected. There are however a lot of photo etch parts for this model and other detail up parts such as wood deck, upgraded gun barrels (both primary and secondary batteries), masts, and an anchor chain!
I'll post some photos of the work done up to this point. you will see an oopsie in one of the pics where my son was going a bit too quick cutting a piece from the sprue. That is in the process of being fixed with some epoxy putty. So far the hull is painted, the deck is on ( the bow section is not perfect, as my son did it- please understand he's 10 lol ), I have put the turrets together, installed the guns, and clipped them off at the blast bags. I drilled and installed the new barrels on one turret, and they look good. On the other three turrets, the blast bags were still a bit wiggly so I left them to dry and called it a night. I'll drill them tomorrow when the glue is nice and hard.
More to follow.

20221008_131845.jpg

20221009_143651.jpg

20221010_182128.jpg

20221010_204849.jpg

20221010_204903.jpg

20221010_204914.jpg

20221011_193234.jpg

20221015_231139.jpg

20221015_231155.jpg

20221015_231349.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone, and thanks for stopping in and checking out this build. I got this kit about a week ago and have gotten a bit done already. This is a kit that I had bought for my son, however he is not as interested in ships as he is in tanks, so I will be picking up where he left off.
This is the I Love Kit 1/700 HMS Hood Top Grade Detail kit. Damn that's a mouthful.
The first thing I noticed about this kit, is the box that it comes in... It's heavy. Even when its empty. It feels more like wood than cardboard. Well done on the packaging.
As for what's inside the box- I won't lie.. not as many sprues as I had expected. There are however a lot of photo etch parts for this model and other detail up parts such as wood deck, upgraded gun barrels (both primary and secondary batteries), masts, and an anchor chain!
I'll post some photos of the work done up to this point. you will see an oopsie in one of the pics where my son was going a bit too quick cutting a piece from the sprue. That is in the process of being fixed with some epoxy putty. So far the hull is painted, the deck is on ( the bow section is not perfect, as my son did it- please understand he's 10 lol ), I have put the turrets together, installed the guns, and clipped them off at the blast bags. I drilled and installed the new barrels on one turret, and they look good. On the other three turrets, the blast bags were still a bit wiggly so I left them to dry and called it a night. I'll drill them tomorrow when the glue is nice and hard.
More to follow.

View attachment 334584

View attachment 334585

View attachment 334586

View attachment 334587

View attachment 334588

View attachment 334589

View attachment 334590

View attachment 334591

View attachment 334592

View attachment 334593
Barrels look good on Turret 'A'

I was just going by the color chart in the box- I guess that's the last time I just go on blind faith without researching first. If I'm being completely honest- it shouldn't really matter as this ship will be getting used in a diorama later, so everything under the waterline won't be visible anyway. I will however, re paint it this week when I have the time, because if you are going to do something- better to do it right the 1st time... That's why I looked to this forum to begin with. So thank you to the both of you for catching the error and speaking up. I'm relatively new to this, so constructive critcism is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
I was just going by the color chart in the box- I guess that's the last time I just go on blind faith without researching first. If I'm being completely honest- it shouldn't really matter as this ship will be getting used in a diorama later, so everything under the waterline won't be visible anyway. I will however, re paint it this week when I have the time, because if you are going to do something- better to do it right the 1st time... That's why I looked to this forum to begin with. So thank you to the both of you for catching the error and speaking up. I'm relatively new to this, so constructive critcism is welcome and appreciated.
Not your fault, ever since I was a kid Warships of all nations were designated brown/red antifouling by model kit manufacturers. Last year I witnessed the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood magnificently built and sold for a fortune. Guess what? YEP! correct, below the waterline was not Grey or Black... lol...BTW if you ever build Regia Marina ships remember below the waterline is Green. cheers.

A lot of money for a 1:700 kit. but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Check out this excellent build/review...

A lot of money for a 1:700 kit. but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Check out this excellent build/review...

Truly magnificent. Lots of patience, calm steady fingers and super sharp vision. Good link thank you.

Hopefully everybody is having a good week. I haven't had very much time this week to focus on modelling (the joys of working 60 hrs per week), but I did spend some time trying to ponder my next steps, as stated above, my son had started this kit- and he basically went by the instructions in the box, and didn't look at the upgrade kit instructions.... Steps got skipped. So I'm kind of back tracking a bit this week trying to finish up some deck details, and fix a few paint errors. I got the rest of the guns drilled, as well as laying the PE for the upper deck, then taped off the wood deck so it is ready for paint. I also need to mask off the main deck, because the pieces that got glued for the main level of the superstructure are unpainted. Then I will re paint the hull, and then finally, I can start building/painting and attaching all the ammo crates to the deck areas. at which point I'll be back on track lol. I will most likely tackle the painting tomorrow evening, and start on all those ammo crates this weekend.

20221018_174511.jpg

20221018_181128.jpg

These are fantastic kits with the opportunity for super detailing. I must admit I have trouble working in these scales…pieces parts way too small! My preferred scale is around 1/48 or so. Anyway, I admire your modeling! Thanks for posting!

More to follow.

View attachment 334584

View attachment 334585

View attachment 334586

View attachment 334587

View attachment 334588

View attachment 334589

View attachment 334590

View attachment 334591

View attachment 334592

View attachment 334593
Commander _Krlll, I started a build log at the suggestion of Jimsky of another I ❤️ Love kit, the 80’ Elco PT boat. When I get to work on it, I enjoy it. It’s my first kit from this company and I’d have to agree with you about the packaging. My only issue, a minor one, is that there are no metal guns which I think would add a little umph! Oops not my only issue…the instruction diagrams are a bit visually confusing and it’s taking some time between steps to be sure that I’m on the correct path. Some other points: no instructions for decal placement, painting instructions are vague. Having said that, my last two points have actually turned out to be good things because I’ve had to do research on both. “Learn something new everyday” keeps my brain engaged.

Back