$10 Chinese Made Fishing Boat Kit, With a Few Mods

I bought this off eBay just to see what it was like. It was just under $10 delivered, but it took weeks to make it to Michigan from China. As I expected, the kit lacked a LOT, but because I had a lot of scraps lying around, I thought I would jazz it up a bit. Out of the box it makes a nice blank canvas, but not a good kit by a long shot. I added the engine and engine compartment. Makes a nice little display now.
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg

Last edited:
I like that little kit! The laser cut detail parts are too chunky and should be replaced, but it's a well engineered kit. The "Green Eyebrow" junk kit is in the same price range, but smaller and more fiddly to put together. The 20 USD Dutch Yacht is also vastly improved by upgrading the fittings but a solid base to start with.

I like this little kit as I think it is a nice one to build in between other larger projects. It also is a great introductory kit too. It leaves enough room for the builder to use his or her imagination for scratch building other parts if wants to.

I bought this same kit off eBay for my grandson. Really not a 7-year-old boys beginner model but it can be with guidance. I bought 2 more as we started his together and I ended up building one. The price was 10 dollars with free postage from China. They are crude but that is ok as there is plenty of touches that can be added such as brass portholes, windows, deck winches and many others. Then it starts to look like a realistic work boat. Also, it is easy to use the kit as a plan and up-scale this boat. Easy to make it the way you want and if you mess it up, its only your time, not a lot of cost there.

Last edited:
I'm "testing the waters" with how to submit text & photos, considering a build log of something done and/or working on. Was curious how photos are entered.

This was the first model boat I did to see if I could plank (10 mos ago and still place myself as a beginner, despite a variety of other boat models and different skill levels--some completed; some in the words) . I was a "newbie" and didn't know stain wouldn't take to glue. I used a walnut stain with green wash to make it look as if I had planned old and weathered. Used crystals for the lights.

Having grown up 32 ft from high tide and around when Stinson Canning was going strong on the Maine coast with all the foggy days, I named it "Gray Dayze" (Spelled Days wrongly to draw attention--maybe "Lazy Dayze" would have been a better word/spelling "play" since trawler fishing and Stinson dwindled years ago. . .)

Then I made a 2nd one of this inexpensive kit and started to understand "stealers," but still have a LOT to learn about planking! Painted to not look so old after the experience with glue/stain not being a good combo! Left the "plank" look, but next time will learn to translate what I learned about wood filler building 1:12 dollhouse to model boats!

Baby steps. . . .

I added wire to complete the winch and crystals for lights! For $10 and some creativity (I'm thinking rope coils, tulle for netting, little fish in the net and spilling onto the deck, etc.;this is a fun, inexpensive, and relatively easy build. I would have liked to have had the cabin in the stern, like the Pauline that dragged for sardines here in Maine. I realize it would be more of a rendition than a replica. Would just need to fill the bow holes and create holes for the cabin tabs in the
stern; fill the mast hole and drill in the bow.

I watched "Boiler Dan" on YouTube to see how put together and his creativity. Bought on Amazon. Dan had said it would take a while if ordered and shipped from China.

.101722 Dragger--Hull Both sides stained walnut n washed--wiped w grey to wx.jpg110422 Dragger--from port finished except name.jpg011322 Dragger 2--Rigged n finished--port side.jpg

Back