1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ugh! How does one make sure they don't fall off inside?
Hopefully, you glued them well as you were putting things together. I knocked mine off during second planking....(still working on 2nd planking, almost done) I was using push pins to hold the strips in place and as I was pushing on the pins i hit the boxes and knocked them loose. Actually, i didn't know i even did it until later. Fortunately, I cut out the approimate size of the box, retrieved and put back together. How far along are you? In reference to seating the guns,,, take a dremel with a burr and ream it out a little.

Ugh! How does one make sure they don't fall off inside?
Hello Vic
There are several comments I can make regarding those boxes.

- First thing is to glue them well (using a strong wood glue) so that they stick hard. I had one fall off out of about 50+, and this was quite a pain to find a replacement solution (see comment from Inge). I recommend that you double check each of them once glued on the upper and lower cannon rows.
- Second is to try to glue all of them on the same axe (horizontally). Because of some bulkheads, I had to glue some boxes vertically. Now I realize when putting the cannons that they are not perfectly aligned with the others and I have to make some adjustments here.

Feel free to get back to me if you have any additional questions

Good luck

Gilbert, did you test fit the bowsprit. It seems the front piece that holds the cannons sits too high. I dry fitted my bowsprit at that height and the angle of the bowsprit seems off about 30 degrees or so.

Gilbert, did you test fit the bowsprit. It seems the front piece that holds the cannons sits too high. I dry fitted my bowsprit at that height and the angle of the bowsprit seems off about 30 degrees or so.
HI Vic
See the reply I just made a few minutes ago on your log

I saw that. I think I’ll have to see if I can take care of it before I reach your stage. I have it curved some, but that doesn’t fix it.

Back