1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

A very happy birthday to you Gilbert! May you have many more years of good health so that you can thrill us with your excellent work. Your SR is a beauty!

Hello
It has been quite some time since my last post, I have been struggling with the poop balcony and have tried many different approaches.
I finally came out with a reasonable way and have then been able to move forward.
Below where I stand:

View attachment 211673
View attachment 211674View attachment 211675View attachment 211676

I then painted the upper part of the hull. I started with ultramarine blue (Liquitex) but found it too dark. I then moved to Cobalt blue (2 coats).
View attachment 211677View attachment 211678View attachment 211679

I also planked the stem (using sapeli).
View attachment 211680

Next steps will be to complete the balcony at the stem and start with the deck elements.
Very nice. I've been following your build for a while now. Working on same. Getting ready to start the stern galleries here in a few days. What did you use for a filler on port and starboard sides to smooth things out. I'm thinking about using the same filler that I used before the second planking. Due to the fact that this will be quite visible, I am questioning whether to use this or another product. The other product I have is a "Bondo" product that is mixed with a catalyst. It's more durable, made for wood, and easily sanded. Just wondered what you used. Thank you.

Very nice. I've been following your build for a while now. Working on same. Getting ready to start the stern galleries here in a few days. What did you use for a filler on port and starboard sides to smooth things out. I'm thinking about using the same filler that I used before the second planking. Due to the fact that this will be quite visible, I am questioning whether to use this or another product. The other product I have is a "Bondo" product that is mixed with a catalyst. It's more durable, made for wood, and easily sanded. Just wondered what you used. Thank you.
Hello Inge
I used a standard wood filler and covered the whole stern section before sanding. I had to use several layers of wood filler in order to get a smooth surface.
It looks like the product you mention (BOndo) is well adapted for this.

Hello Inge
I used a standard wood filler and covered the whole stern section before sanding. I had to use several layers of wood filler in order to get a smooth surface.
It looks like the product you mention (BOndo) is well adapted for this.
Thank you

Looking pretty good. I'd love to build this but, unfortunately, ZHL will not ship it to me in the UK.

Back