1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

In reference to your second planking of the light colored wood.... Looks like you cut the wood down into lengths.... were they specific lengths? or just kind of randon.... thank you
Hi Inge
I tried to cut equal length planks (about 10cm). However, towards the bow, the planks a slightly shorter

Your gunports and -lids are looking good - also with the detail of the visible bolts for the gun tackles - Thumbsup

Hello
It has been quite some time since my last post, I have been struggling with the poop balcony and have tried many different approaches.
I finally came out with a reasonable way and have then been able to move forward.
Below where I stand:

View attachment 211673
View attachment 211674View attachment 211675View attachment 211676

I then painted the upper part of the hull. I started with ultramarine blue (Liquitex) but found it too dark. I then moved to Cobalt blue (2 coats).
View attachment 211677View attachment 211678View attachment 211679

I also planked the stem (using sapeli).
View attachment 211680

Next steps will be to complete the balcony at the stem and start with the deck elements.
Hi, gilbert. I'm getting ready to start these port hole frames. Any hints.? It looks like the upper ports need to be opened quite a bit. Thanks, Inge

Hi, gilbert. I'm getting ready to start these port hole frames. Any hints.? It looks like the upper ports need to be opened quite a bit. Thanks, Inge
Now that I've looked farther ahead, they don't get opened at all. They have the gold frameworks. Okay answered my own question.

Looks great Gil. Was thinking of doing the same with my doors and the rings but not thrilled about making about 180 of them. Did you make yours or buy them somewhere?

Looks great Gil. Was thinking of doing the same with my doors and the rings but not thrilled about making about 180 of them. Did you make yours or buy them somewhere?
Hi John
there are 28 cannons (and gates) on each side.
I used the parts provided in the kit for the door itself and the hinges, and then added the red inside door using a 2mm plank.
It took me about 10 days to make 1 row (working a couple of hours a day).
It took me some time for the first few doors but after some practice, it turned out quite ok.
What I chose was to prepare 4-5 doors (plank, hinges, inside door, hooks) and then install them before moving to the next 5.
The hooks themselves are from Amati.

You know,,, I took measurements from the plans... literallly .5 mm by .5mm and my wales were still screwed up ( too high)

Hello
The balcony is now complete. I have to say that this was quite some work. Glad it's over now.
View attachment 213538
View attachment 213539
I started to paint the metallic decorations and installing them, starting from the stern
View attachment 213540
View attachment 213541

I also started working on the poop deck
View attachment 213542

Cheers
Did you do the paint by hand or air brush. I'm working on second planking right now, the P3 (light colored wood) I don't know if they gave me enough. I have plenty of the Sapella wood, as that will be painted anyway.

Did you do the paint by hand or air brush. I'm working on second planking right now, the P3 (light colored wood) I don't know if they gave me enough. I have plenty of the Sapella wood, as that will be painted anyway.
Hi Inge
I painted by hand using Liquitex cobalt blue
I tried the ultramarine blue but found it too dark

Gilbert, did you have any problems with your 27 deck (3rd one from bottom)? Mine seems to curve into an arch laterally. Also, number 7 or 8 seems a bit tall. Did yo have to file any of the tops of the bulkheads down? I wonder if @Jay had to.

Last edited:
Gilbert, did you have any problems with your 27 deck (3rd one from bottom)? Mine seems to curve into an arch laterally. Also, number 7 or 8 seems a bit talk. Did yo have to file any of the tops of the bulkheads down? I wonder if @Jay had to.
Hi Jay, I don't recall having such issue and I did not have to file the bulkheads

Back