1669 Soleil Royal - ZHL [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am starting today a build of the Soleil Royal based on the ZHL kit.

For information, below the details in terms of pricing and shipment.
I have ordered the kit on October 27th and have received the box today November 9th. This means a total of 13 days from order to delivery, which is pretty good I have to say.
I paid via Paypal a total of $398 + $138.5 for shipment to France via FedEx. In addition I have been charged 43 euros for customs (25 euros customers fee + 18 euros FedEx handling fee).
The box came from Shenzen in China.

I'll be posting my progress using this log and will leverage the Ships of Scale logs that have previously been posted for the Soleil Royal:
I'll also be leveraging the very good content available from the French model boats forum La Royale Modélisme that includes several posts related to le Soleil Royal.

I expect to post my progress on a weekly basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing has been to make a full inventory of the 2 boxes, using the part list below.

20201109_180141.jpg

You can find a very complete list and pictures of all the components available in the box in the very thorough post from Dematosdg that can be found here.
All looks complete, let’s get started!!!
Attached the 2 parts of the keel and joined them with item 24 on each side to strengthen the keel. I pre-inserted bulkhead 3 and 4 in order to make sure they will fit in nicely.
20201112_121230.jpg

I penciled each bulkhead with the position of the decks. This may be useful later on.
20201112_172528.jpg
I have filed the front of the first 2 bulkheads in order to have an easier adjust of the planks.
20201113_112946.jpg

Glued all the bulkheads. The interfaces on the keel are sometimes a bit narrow and have to be slightly filed to easily fit.
I pre-constructed the bulkhead at the stern but found out afterwards that it may be was not the best idea in order to install this last bulkhead.
20201113_123100.jpg

Now the full skeleton.
20201113_114719.jpg

Now ready to insert the lower deck.
More in the coming days...

I am starting today a build of the Soleil Royal based on the ZHL kit.

For information, below the details in terms of pricing and shipment.
I have ordered the kit on October 27th and have received the box today November 9th. This means a total of 13 days from order to delivery, which is pretty good I have to say.
I paid via Paypal a total of $398 + $138.5 for shipment to France via FedEx. In addition I have been charged 43 euros for customs (25 euros customers fee + 18 euros FedEx handling fee).
The box came from Shenzen in China.
View attachment 192016

I'll be posting my progress using this log and will leverage the Ships of Scale logs that have previously been posted for the Soleil Royal:
I'll also be leveraging the very good content available from the French model boats forum La Royale Modélisme that includes several posts related to le Soleil Royal.

I expect to post my progress on a weekly basis.
I wonder if posting your complete adres here is a good idea!

Will follow with interest. Hoping to buy this kit myslef once I've sold a few things!

IN reference to the computer in the background.... you have the instruction disc inserted there? Did you have any of the plans printed out. I have the same and getting ready to start in a few weeks. thjankx

IN reference to the computer in the background.... you have the instruction disc inserted there? Did you have any of the plans printed out. I have the same and getting ready to start in a few weeks. thjankx
Hello Ken
The documentation/instruction (fairly limited I have to say) comes on a CD. Rather than printing it, I have copied the PDF file onto my computer and reads it from there.
This allows me to have easy access to the documentation and the existing logs from Ships of Scale whenever needed.

Hello Ken
The documentation/instruction (fairly limited I have to say) comes on a CD. Rather than printing it, I have copied the PDF file onto my computer and reads it from there.
This allows me to have easy access to the documentation and the existing logs from Ships of Scale whenever needed.
Thank you

Hello
Good progress since my last post on Sunday.
The issue I had aligning the stern has been solved and both stern and bow have been installed
20201122_151146.jpg

20201123_145542.jpg

20201123_161032.jpg

Installed all the canon boxes and mounted the 3 layers of portholes on one side(not sure about the name in English :oops: - it's called "sabord" in French and Google translate gives me porthole as translation).
I glued the canon boxes vertically rather than horizontally (documented in the instructions). They do not fit with the bulkheads otherwise.
Started the same on the other side, but still some work to do here.
This will be for tomorrow.

20201116_163808.jpg
20201124_100909.jpg
20201124_145034.jpg
20201125_151731.jpg
20201125_151737.jpg
20201125_151744.jpg

Back