Kolderstok Models 17th Century Dutch Ship Models

zoly99sask

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Kolderstok Models, the website offering model boat kits for 17th century Dutch ships. Kolderstok offers a range of unique model boat kits for famous Dutch ships – famous both for their history as well as the great people who sailed them.

The aim of Kolderstok is to offer a high quality range of wooden model boat kits for ships not available elsewhere. Models of famous ships of the Dutch Golden Age, such as those belonging to the VOC (Dutch East India Company), but also ships famous for the great battles in which they served. Ships under the command of well-known names: Michiel de Ruyter, Marten Harpenszoon Tromp, Jan and Cornelis Evertsen, and Adriaen Banckert.

Besides the currently available models, new models will be released in the future. Think of a ship loaded with gold, shipwrecked near the Dutch coast, her cargo still not fully recovered, or of the yacht that discovered Australia, small though she was. Or maybe a ship like De Zeven Provinciën, the flagship of admiral Michiel de Ruyter.

batavia1.jpgbatavia2.jpg

Kolderstok models are created using old images and existing models as guidelines, thus ensuring the best possible accuracy.

Most kits are for more experienced builders. Levels range from 1 star (beginner) up to 4 stars (very experienced builder). Experienced builders can, of course, refine their model to their own preference.

Kolderstok kits consist of a laser-cut keel, frames and decks, planking for the hull and decks, masts, yards, rigging and a full set of hand-cast resin ornaments. The ornaments will need a finishing touch. Sails are available as a separate kit.

Being model builders ourselves, we prefer a personal approach. Contact us via e-mail and we will get in touch to arrange details, preferences and how to order.

Available Kolderstok kits can be viewed on the model's tab.
©2015, Kolderstok@gmail.com

De Zeven Provinciën

zevenprovinciencover2.jpg

The Country’s ship
De Zeven Provinciën
"Een schip dat de Vloot-vooghd voert past wel dat kostelijk is en in aanzien allen overtreft”
(A ship well suited to our Fleet Commander, nice to see and better than all others)
(Nicolaes Witsen).

Summer 1665. An imposing two-deck ship has just been launched and is now moored to be rigged and outfitted. Two private ship-builders are busy outfitting the ship, which has been ordered by the Admiralty of the Maze in Rotterdam. The name of the ship – third in a row with this name – has been known for a while, and the commander of this imposing war-ship has recently been named the Commander in Chief of the Dutch fleet.

Autumn 1665. Lieutenant-admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter is proud of his new flagship – De Zeven Provinciën. The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands, founded in 1579, lives in troubled times, and the tense situation with England in particular demands a strong ship and powerful leadership. The ship won’t be at fault. With a length of 163 feet (around 46 metres) from stern to bow it has a water displacement of 700 Dutch “last” (about 1400 tonnes). This makes the ship very stable in the water, even with full armament of 84 cannons and a crew of 420. All built-up knowledge and experience of the Dutch masters of shipbuilding has been combined into this ship. Her imposing appearance, with its heavily ornamented stern, will put fear into the hearts of the enemies of the Republic during the years to come. The commander won’t be at fault either: he feels himself capable of heroics with this ship.

Indeed, in the period from 1666 to 1674 Michiel de Ruyter commanded several victories. This was both through his very good insight in naval battles and the force and quality of his ship and her crew. De Zeven Provinciën participated as flagship in the four-day and two-day battles in 1666, in the famous trip to Chatham in 1667, the battle of Solebay in 1672 and the battles of Schooneveld and Kijkduin in 1673. De Zeven Provinciën was so robust that she could be re-equipped for battle quickly and without much effort. Only in 1694 – almost 30 years after her launch – was the ship demolished and did the name transfer to a triple-deck ship with 92 cannons.

The Kolderstok model of De Zeven Provinciën has been built on a scale of 1:72 - from several available sources. Because these sources differ on a few points, the ship’s lines have been completely redrawn for this model kit. The stern has been made after one of the drawings of Willem van de Velde (the elder), on display in the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, UK.

The model consists of laser-cut keel and frames, complete (single) planking in a combination of walnut and basswood or oak and basswood, fully outfitted deck, 3D formed and hand-cast resin ornaments, masts and accompanying rigging. Sails can be ordered separately as a DIY kit consisting of drawings, manual, sailcloth and blocks. The model is fully equipped with complete cannons on all ports.
Difficulty is 4 on a scale of 4.

zevenprovincien11.jpgzevenprovincien22.jpgzevenprovincien33.jpgzevenprovincien44.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a nice build log on the Dutch forum of the Zeven Provincien

Last edited:
Here is nice build log on the Dutch forum of the Zeven Provincien

Thanks for posting this link - it is looking like a real interesting kit

Hello all you readers, and thank you Zoltan for mentioning my (small) company on this forum.
Founded midth 2015, my aim is to develop well known (and less known) Dutch ships from the late 16th and 17th century, such as the Batavia, the Duyfken, the Zeven Provinciën, the Statenjacht and the expedition ship of Willem Barentsz. In the following posts I will show some photos of these kits.
If you want to buy a kit - please contact me via this forum, or via our website. I can deliver to almost any country in the world.
But please keep in mind I am a small company. Every box I sell is produced and put together all by my self. This is a lot of work, but also has the advantage that if anything is wrong, missing, or not in superb condition you can directly contact me and we'll try to find a proper solution for this.
Also - when you have specific questions during the build you can always ask me, and I'll try to answer within one day (and mostly quicker).

I will upload some images of the ships I have made so far - all available via kolderstok.com

Hans

First ship I made was the Batavia. Fully scratch build for my son who wanted a ship no one else had. So I made the Batavia, and while building it I wondered why it was not available as a wooden model kit. So I started to develop it myself. In the process of building and thinking how things can be done in a somewhat larger scale I have learned a lot on how things can be made and how they can be produced in larger numbers. Finding the right sources for wood, laser cutting etc. took a lot of time but eventually it all came together and autumn 2015 I was able to launch the first Kolderstok kit: VOC schip de Batavia 1628
Batavia 1.jpg
Batavia doos.jpg
Batavia achter.jpg

The box is designed by my eldest son - photographer and graphic designer, so it was quite easy to get nice pictures of the models, and a nice design for the boxes.

As you can see in my last post all the ornaments are hand crafted. I learned myself to work with a CAD program to develop the laser cut parts of each ship - but I am not that far that any ornament can be 3D drawn and printed. This is a thing for the near future for me. On the Batavia and Zeven Provinciën most ornaments are 3D printed originals which then are casted in a white resin.

Recently I finished the ship of Willem Barentsz - with which he tried to find a passage to the east via the North Pole. He did not succeed, his ship was lost in the ice above Nova Zembla and he and his crew had to overwinter on the Island Nova Zembla. With two small boats they tried to make their passage back to Holland the next year - which succeeded. But not for Willem Barentsz himself, as he died during the journey back.
A replica of this ship is now build in Harlingen, Netherlands, and this kit is (though not completely) based on the replica. It has no name but is simply called The expedition ship of Willem Barentsz as there are no proven records which clearly mention the name of the ship. The Harlingen replica is called Witte Swaen (white swan) as this name could be the name of the original ship according to some sources (by presuming and adding some facts together). However - the name of Willem Barentsz is well known (f.i. the Barents sea is named after him) and Witte Swaen doesn't say that much to many people - so I decided to keep the name as mentioned.

Foto Willem Barentsz (1 of 13).jpg
Foto Willem Barentsz (7 of 13).jpg
Foto Willem Barentsz (10 of 13).jpg

Last edited:
There are two scales in which I make the models. The larger ones like the Batavia and Zeven Provinciën are both in 1 to 72. This gives a model with a hull of approx. 75 cm (90 cm - approx. 3 ft with sprit) length and 90 cm height.
The Duyfken, Statenjacht and Willem Barentsz' ship are 1 to 50 and approx. 50 cm length and height.
Kits come in full laser cut frames and decks, with walnut planking for the hull (single plank system), abachi for the decks, beech wood for the masts, full set of wooden blocks - cotton rigging in both light colored and dark colored thread, 3D modelled and hand casted resin ornaments, full photo-based instructions in Dutch, English and German and complete drawings with side view, sections, decks and rigging instructions.
A specialty for the Zeven Provinciën is that this kit can be ordered in walnut planking, and for the real experienced model builders also in an oak planking.

Thank you for the explanation about the contents\timber of the kit. We can all imagine that you don't have much free time with your production. However, if you don't mind, can you make a kit review for one of your kits (your own choice). Perhaps, if you already have one, can you possibly provide a link? We have a dedicated thread where you can make a review. Much appreciated in advance!

Back