18th century harbour crane - 1/72 Shipyard models - cardboard

I haven't yet resumed the construction of the village...
But, as I had started something different on vacation, I preferred to finish it before resuming...

So this is a cardboard Shipyard model ! It's at 172 scale (the village is at 187) : it's an 18th century harbour crane located in Lueneburg, Germany. It still exists and is operated by 2 inside man-wheels and fully covered. I chose to leave half of it open to show the inside of the crane.

Lueneburg.jpg

A little warning for those who would like to get into it : a lot of patience, rigor and an almost inhuman touch as the parts are so fine and fragile... But on the other hand, everything is there in the details and mechanisms! :p

And this is the final result once aged, with its stone base added.
I may use it one day if I have a boat at the same scale and time to make a dock ... :cool:

Last edited:
I am no longer wonder about quality of your work , Ekis! It doesn't matter what material your models made from. They are equally highest grade. My father always told me: A talented person is talented in everything!

PS: Is the crane will be part of your village or?

Thanks Jim! Thank you very much for these much appreciated compliments.
As I said at the beginning, this crane is really too 18th century to be part of the 14th century village... Moreover, it is on a scale of 1:72 while the village is 1:87.
So, no, it is not intended for the bastide, it was simply to keep me busy for a few days away from home. I think that this crane will one day appear on a quay next to a ship at the right scale ...
On the other hand, there are already things ready for the village (construction or lifting cranes, carts, etc...). :cool:

this crane is really too 18th century to be part of the 14th century village... Moreover, it is on a scale of 1:72 while the village is 1:87.

An exceptionally well done build on a unusual subject.

This this type of treadmill crane dates back to Roman times and were used as late as the 19th century. The photo you posted is of the old port of Ilmenau in Lüneburg and dates to the early 1300's. Outside of stepping a mast these were used in the building of castles throughout the middle ages. If you are building small ship building village one of these cranes would be a nice point of interest.

But that's only my opinion whatever you build I would love to see it.

Jim

This this type of treadmill crane dates back to Roman times and were used as late as the 19th century.
You are right. The use of man-wheels or manual wheels have been known and used since antiquity.
But this crane in particular is very sophisticated in its frame, roof and lifting mechanism and horizontal axis. Moreover, the lifting is done with the help of an iron chain.
All this shows a very elaborate equipment for a very rich city and mastering all the techniques of the 18th century...

For the village, I prefer simpler things, but using the same concepts to raise walls or to harvest crops.
So I built things like this at the right scale (the pictures are those of the packagings, I'll make more pictures of the village later with the cranes in place) :

ml047-portable-dockyard-crane-196.jpg

ml102-dockyard-crane-sweden-xvii-century-196.jpg

Back