18th Century Longboat 1750-1760 Model Shipways 1/48

Hello, After finishing my Grand Banks Dory I decided to try the 18th Century Longboat. I already have questions. The instructions mention attaching the false keel to the keel and stem after creating the bearding line. However they do not mention if you need to glue the two stem pieces together and the two keel pieces together. There are two parts for each and the picture looks like you only use one. The pieces all come from two sheets that are 3/32 thick. I looked at the build log below and it is the same kit number MS1457, but looks like a different printing as his box sheet is different from mine. His build log shows pictures where he used two parts for the keel and stem. So, I'm confused, any help would be appreciated.

Dave

*Masters Mate's Build log link*

20210517_155220_1.jpg20210517_155244.jpg

I thought the same thing but in the instructions they give dimensions for the parts and the single parts match the dimensions. A post on another board says the parts are extra. I have a feeling that the parts used to be made out of thinner stock and when they changed to thicker stock they changed the directions but not the laser cutting system. It would be nice to have a measurement on @Masters Mate parts.

I thought the same thing but in the instructions they give dimensions for the parts and the single parts match the dimensions. A post on another board says the parts are extra. I have a feeling that the parts used to be made out of thinner stock and when they changed to thicker stock they changed the directions but not the laser cutting system. It would be nice to have a measurement on @Masters Mate parts.
You are right. That was my first ever wooden kit build and I did find extra parts were provided for some items, but not others.

I used both pieces of the keel sandwiched together but looking back at the images I now see that was a mistake. Everything else followed on, so the dimensions are wrong.

A single width keel (1/32") will give you a much finer finish in scale with 1:48.

Is there a drawing showing bow or stern of the ship? - Here you should be able to meassure the final thickness of the keel

You are right. That was my first ever wooden kit build and I did find extra parts were provided for some items, but not others.

I used both pieces of the keel sandwiched together but looking back at the images I now see that was a mistake. Everything else followed on, so the dimensions are wrong.

A single width keel (1/32") will give you a much finer finish in scale with 1:48.
Thank you so much. I have been a plastic modeler, 1/35 WW2 stuff, for a number of years and have now become interested in wooden boats. I was shocked at the vague descriptions of how to assemble the parts on my first Grand Banks Dory model. I guess it is all part of the learning process. I made a bunch of mistakes on my first one and used a bunch of putty to help fill in the gaps. I am trying to go a bit slower and understand better what I am doing before I do it. Anyway thanks again for the help!

Hello, After finishing my Grand Banks Dory I decided to try the 18th Century Longboat. I already have questions. The instructions mention attaching the false keel to the keel and stem after creating the bearding line. However they do not mention if you need to glue the two stem pieces together and the two keel pieces together. There are two parts for each and the picture looks like you only use one. The pieces all come from two sheets that are 3/32 thick. I looked at the build log below and it is the same kit number MS1457, but looks like a different printing as his box sheet is different from mine. His build log shows pictures where he used two parts for the keel and stem. So, I'm confused, any help would be appreciated.

Dave

*Masters Mate's Build log link*

View attachment 233840View attachment 233841
Hallo Dave alias @dpeno
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
how is your work on the model going? Are you still working on it?

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes. I have been working on my model. I had a learning experience planking the model and took longer than I expected. I did not get it 100% but close enough for my second model. Here are some pictures of my current progress. I am currently working on the two platforms for the boat.

20210527_143900.jpg20210621_152203.jpg20210923_160917.jpg20210926_123226.jpg20211106_140421.jpg20211106_140431.jpg20211106_140442.jpg20211106_140506.jpg20211128_113529.jpg

Dave,

You only use one of each part for the keel piece. Take a look at my build log of this boat when you get a chance. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ipways-1-48-completed-build.8221/#post-204024

As you are finding out there are extra parts with the kit.

Have fun with the project!

Regards,

-John
Nice build, I think I will be refering to that as I continue working on mine. I have been using this forum as understanding all the terms and parts of a boat is new to me.

Dave - very nice job on the boat. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Working on the same build. Newbie here. My first attempt at rigging and it is kicking my ass. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build. Best wishes, Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0102 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0102 Small.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 10
Larger image.
Nice looking build for a beginner. Keep it up and you will be on to the big ships builds in no time.

I am kind of in middle myself, I have build several small ships and small diorama pieces, and working up to larger kits.

Some folks say my work is good, but I doubt myself, as they all say we are our own worst critic.

I also have this kit, actually two of them, in my collection. waiting time in dry dock to get started.

Back