18th Century Ship Models

• Thread starter Thread starter Bill-R
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 5

I have been watching several videos of beautiful ships models that were built in the 18th century. I am fascinated at the level of workmanship these builders were able to achieve using the tools of their day. They are truly magnificent. Is there any information available that would explain how these ships were created.

Thanks,
Bill

I can't help you out there but will pass along something I remember reading about a model being created for the Admiralty that took years longer to build than the actual ship. So the builders didn't knock them out very fast.

I know a current day professional model shipbuilder who does most of his modeling with a no. Eleven XActo hobby knife…much to my amazement…I don’t think he owns a Dremel tool. Me? Collecting hobby tools is a second hobby in itself! Whether or not I actually use them is another question…

Bill-R
You and I are of the same mind. That era is my favourite. I cannot understand how the builders back then could accomplish what they did. These were not little row boats. They were magnificent creations.

Hi Bill. I have a copy of a beautiful book on this subject called Navy Board Ship Models by John Franklin. It has been reviewed on this site. Many detailed drawings of framing and other details as well as the story of the photographed models. I recall reading that while there are initials of the artists here and there, information about the builders is very scant and therefore brief in the book. I was struck by the fact that during restoration and the use of micro cameras to examine inside the ships, extraordinary details, that would ordinarily be never seen after the model was completed, came to light. Unlike my feeble interiors with glue exposed and crooked supports and the like, and no internal gun rigging. Photographs are stunning.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies and likes. I have always been interested in how things like furniture were built before there was electricity. When I was in my large scale r/c airplane days, for the most part, the only powered tools I used to build were a band saw, drill press and a Dremel Tool. There is a somewhat famous furniture maker here in the states by the name of Roy Underhill. He is famous for building furniture the way they did hundreds of years ago. He had a show on PBS that I loved to watch.

Kutuzov: I found that book review and I am going to add that book to my list. It looks like it will be great There are several other books that I have found that appear to be promising.

Ship Models: Their Purpose and Development from 1650 to the Present. By Brian Lavery.

Navy Board Ship Models. By Nick Ball and Simon Stephens.

Thanks for the interest and help.

Bill

The early 17th century, the age of the man-of-war, a large heavily armed galleon, is my favorite period for ship building. There is a lot less known about the construction of those ships than the 18th and 19th century vessels, so that makes model building more difficult to research and make accurate. Those of you who aspire to the 18th century vessels have it much easier research-wise to get your model accurate, since there are so many more reliable sources on the construction and sailing of those ships. I will be building the USS Rattlesnake as my next build, since it was among the models which was first considered as my first model, and I love the shape and unique design.

Hello everyone,
Bryian: From what I understand, The Art of Ship Modeling is a must have if you are building a French ship from the 17th or 18th century. I have it on my list.
Darivs: At this point in my education, learning where to look is the most difficult part of the research. Once I figure out where to look, then I can start the fun part of research.

Bill

Hello everyone,
Bryian: From what I understand, The Art of Ship Modeling is a must have if you are building a French ship from the 17th or 18th century. I have it on my list.
Darivs: At this point in my education, learning where to look is the most difficult part of the research. Once I figure out where to look, then I can start the fun part of research.

Bill
There are lots of sources that members here can point you do and they are happy to help out. It's hard to decide where to start. Have you any ship favorites in mind at this point?

Hello Darivs,
Yes. I have gotten the ANCRE monograph L’Amarante. I am in the process of getting materials and tools in order. I have started a build log here.

Bill

Hello Darivs,
Yes. I have gotten the ANCRE monograph L’Amarante. I am in the process of getting materials and tools in order. I have started a build log here.

Bill
Building a ship scratch and a monograph is the highest tier of modelling for wooden model ships short of making them sail under radio control. Anyone taking on such a project has my utmost respect.

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the suggestion Stuart. That looks like great book.

Darivs: This is something that I have always held the people who build these masterpieces in the highest regard. I just hope that my attempt will be worthy of this site. Most importantly, it will be fun.

Bill

Back