1930s Half Moon

[if this belongs somewhere else, please feel free to move it, thanks]

Hello and thank you for your hospitality. I'm helping my cousin with a puzzle: how best to sell an antique model ship. He has no computer or internet, so he has sent me a few photos in the mail which I'll append. The model is 60 cm long and 65 cm high and was a wedding present for my cousin's parents, given to them by the man who made it. Which means it was made in the late 1930s.

How do you suggest he approach selling it? He's getting on and wants to convert a few special items into money. He lives just north of Toronto. Here are two photos:

_img20230328_14130230.jpg

_img20230328_14121912.jpg

Last edited:
Since you have access to the internet, you might try eBay, FaceBook marketplace, Craigs List, and other sites. Like any old things, they are worth only what someone is willing to pay, and appraisals are not reliable. Much of the rigging appears correct, but the mizzen mast has a square sail instead of lateen sail (triangular sail arranged for and aft, used to assist steering).

Last edited:
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Hope that your friends expectation of the selling price is not too high - it will be not easy to sell it
Kurt made already the correct hints, which will maybe help

Thank you all for your welcomes. I belong to a guitar group (I'm a musician) and many of the same things apply except that most guitars are standard models built by small to large businesses and the going price for, say, a vintage Gibson ES-335 is fairly well established. Models, though, are more likely to be one-of-a-kind so I quite understand that the expression "value is what you can sell it for" applies.

[if this belongs somewhere else, please feel free to move it, thanks]

Hello and thank you for your hospitality. I'm helping my cousin with a puzzle: how best to sell an antique model ship. He has no computer or internet, so he has sent me a few photos in the mail which I'll append. The model is 60 cm long and 65 cm high and was a wedding present for my cousin's parents, given to them by the man who made it. Which means it was made in the late 1930s.

How do you suggest he approach selling it? He's getting on and wants to convert a few special items into money. He lives just north of Toronto. Here are two photos:
Hallo @pogo97
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back