1959 Pyro NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP 1/96 [COMPLETED BUILD]

First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Your model is looking very good - Bravo
Are you working actual on a new project?

Didn't dare asking, but does this lightship have functional lights as well?

welcome aboard to our wonderful forum.
Your model is looking beautiful Okay :)

Ahoy ModelWrights
Thank you everyone for your replies another update here have all the handrails installed an d other bits all is left is the rigging ships boats paint touch up here and there she is done. Here are the pictures Frankie Day

DSC00094.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

DSC00103.JPG

DSC00104.JPG

DSC00105.JPG

And here I thought my eyes were deceiving me: I was almost willing to make a bet I saw a second lightship in the background in one of the pictures of an earlier post and there it is, the Frying Pan. An intriguing name, by the way.

Ahoy
i am new here here is my first post this the first release of the opld pyro Ex ITC NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP
Below Are some Pictures Of the build. Thank you I Am Honored
Hallo @deckape
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello. I am planning to obtain a first release version like you of the Nantucket lightship. Was wondering were the letters raised on the hull in this version? Did the kit provide decals of the letters or did you have to paint them white? Beautiful result, congrats.

Ahoy
i am new here here is my first post this the first release of the opld pyro Ex ITC NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP
Below Are some Pictures Of the build. Thank you I Am Honored

View attachment 317192

View attachment 317193

View attachment 317194

View attachment 317195

View attachment 317196

View attachment 317197

View attachment 317198

View attachment 317199

View attachment 317200
Hello. I am planning to obtain a first release version like you of the Nantucket lightship. Was wondering were the letters raised on the hull in this version? Did the kit provide decals of the letters or did you have to paint them white? Beautiful result, congrats.

Thanks for the pic. My daughter lived in New Bedford and while visiting I saw this lightship for the first time. I recently saw on the net that it was for sale for about $5 million - renovated. Seems like a good deal to me

Another lightship is currently in Oakland, CA:
Seems to be common design for post war lightships? Museum page is at:

If you are obsessed, there is a movie from the 1980s I still remember as a pretty good criminal thriller:
No idea where it was filmed. Not a great movie, but it stuck in my brain.

Last edited:
Maybe interesting for some lightship modelers

From 1820 to 1985, the U.S. government built 179 lightships, ships that functioned as “floating lighthouses,” in coastal waters and on the Great Lakes –where environmental hazards and conditions made construction of a lighthouse impractical. These ships housed bright and powerful navigational light beacons atop their masts to guide maritime traffic into their ports of call. The largest lightship ever built in the U.S. was the Nantucket Lightship/LV-112; as the first landmark seen by transatlantic ships entering American waters from Europe, she earned the nickname “Statue of Liberty of the Sea.” Built in 1936, Nantucket Lightship/LV-112 today is berthed in her homeport of Boston, and open to the public while undergoing restoration. Robert Mannino, Jr., president of the U.S. Lightship Museum, will share the fascinating story of this National Historic Landmark and National Treasure, placing it in the colorful history of the U.S. Lightship Service as a whole.

My Congratulations for finishing this model - well done
I like your sentence: "...... completed and ready for dust" :D

Back