New design 29-foot armed Longboat (1854) in scale 1:24 by Piroscaf Scale Models

Hello friends!

We would like to present our new project - wooden 28-foot armed (8-pounder carronade) longboat (1854) Russian Imperial Navy.
The model will be made in 24 scale.

Dimensions:
- lenght - 29 feet
- width - 8 feet

We promise maximum detail and realistic thicknesses of all parts.
The longboat was armed with only one carronade, the 3d model shows 2 possible installation places.

01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a very interesting project, so I am looking forward to see your progress - highly interesting, especially in the scale1:24.

One question:
How they could use the rudder, when the carronade was installed at the stern, especially with the fixed center point for turning the gun directly in the centerline in front of the rudder where the tiller should be?
Here I have my doubts, that this was working. Maybe only when the boat was fixed with some anchors and removed tiller....... but than no chance for sailing

This will be a very interesting project, so I am looking forward to see your progress - highly interesting, especially in the scale1:24.

One question:
How they could use the rudder, when the carronade was installed at the stern, especially with the fixed center point for turning the gun directly in the centerline in front of the rudder where the tiller should be?
Here I have my doubts, that this was working. Maybe only when the boat was fixed with some anchors and removed tiller....... but than no chance for sailing
It's very simple

01.jpg

Hello Dmitry- Exciting project!- will there be crew figures- rowers, carronade crew? That should give us a model in 1:24 scale (if my calculations are correct) of approximately 14.5" or 36.8 cm.
Hello Robert.
Yes.There will be artillery and spars. Rowers, gunners and a ship's landing are in the plans.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good easy project for quick build, taking weeks instead of months to get finished model.
Just because it is just a longboat and large scale, it doesn't mean it will be a quick build. I am sure it will spot many details that required patience and skills. Perhaps, knowing the precision and quality behind Piroskaf models, you could be right,:cool: depending on how much time you will devote to this project...

Just because it is just a longboat and large scale, it doesn't mean it will be a quick build. I am sure it will spot many details that required patience and skills. Perhaps, knowing the precision and quality behind Piroskaf models, you could be right,:cool: depending on how much time you will devote to this project...
The assembly of the longboat will be interesting and as close as possible to the real one ;)

Hello Dmitry, Does a real one or original plans still exist- possibly in a maritime museum?? If not, how do you get the dimensions/plans, etc.?

Hello Dmitry, Does a real one or original plans still exist- possibly in a maritime museum?? If not, how do you get the dimensions/plans, etc.?
All our projects are based on original drawings. We have a good naval archive with a very large number of drawings of ships from the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century. You can find drawings of russian ironclas and battleships, a lot of artillery. The archive issues copies of drawings only on a paid basis.

Hello Dmitry. Does Archive collection only Russian vessels\armory or international? Is it possible to provide us a link to the Archive's website?

Hello Dmitry. Does Archive collection only Russian vessels\armory or international? Is it possible to provide us a link to the Archive's website?
International ships are also present, but there are not very many of them. There are no previews on the site, only an pdf with documents list - this is very bad.

Back