2nd Bluenose

I built my first ship in 1986, the Bluenose. Since it was mt first one I used wood filler and painted it per instructions which hid all my mistakes. I've built three ships since then and have confidence now. I thought I'll never hide that beautiful wood with paint again. So I'm building my 2nd Bluenose and will not paint it. On a couple of my ships I've used tung oil, and wanted to know what type of oil you use to preserve the wood and keep it from drying out. I would appreciate any help.. Thanks in advance to all the ship builders across the world!!!

Hello Bluenose - welcome to the Bluenose Group Build. As far as finishes go, there is obviously a huge variety - to each his own. I use Tung Oil too (but would still like to try Danish Oil sometime (difficult to get in China), @Peter Voogt Peter uses boiled Linseed oil, @Dean62 Dean used clear polyurethane and so on and so on. Maybe the other guys can chip in with more suggestions.

Hi Bluenose. I'm not a member of this group but since this is a general question I'll give my input.

My finish of choice is Watco brand Danish Oil. It brings out the beauty of the wood but leaves it looking natural as it tends to soak into the wood. More coats may be applied to build it up a bit. It's applied with a rag, keep the wood wet for about 15 minutes to allow it to soak in then wipe off the excess. Allow at least a day or two between coats.

Hi Bluenose. I'm not a member of this group but since this is a general question I'll give my input.
Hello Stan, Frankly speaking, you don't have to be part of any build group in order to participate in the discussions. I think, members get an impression if they are not part of the group they shouldn't post. That's a myth!

Group builds, in nothing more than a regular build log. It just united members building from the same kit\or scratch model. Group build will have a single place for combined resources about this particular kit\scratch.

Please post in any group build logs! You don't have to be a specific member. You are a member of the SOS, this should be enough to spare! :)

Hello Bluenose - welcome to the Bluenose Group Build. As far as finishes go, there is obviously a huge variety - to each his own. I use Tung Oil too (but would still like to try Danish Oil sometime (difficult to get in China), @Peter Voogt Peter uses boiled Linseed oil, @Dean62 Dean used clear polyurethane and so on and so on. Maybe the other guys can chip in with more suggestions.
I love to use Watco Danish Oil, sometimes natural, sometime tinted. And I typically follow up with a spar urethane after the oil has had at least 72 hours to fully cure. It leaves a very durable finish. Such as the finish on this box I wood burned...it leaves you with a great, natural finish.FB_IMG_1569103142804.jpg

I love to use Watco Danish Oil, sometimes natural, sometime tinted. And I typically follow up with a spar urethane after the oil has had at least 72 hours to fully cure. It leaves a very durable finish. Such as the finish on this box I wood burned...it leaves you with a great, natural finish.View attachment 287830
By golly that is a wonderful wood burning piece of art. Rich

Back