6 in 1 Mini lathe

Hello, Dcox1961.

IMHO, this is more educational toy than a tool. Don't expect accuracy or anything precision. You may be able to turn balsa wood (only).

Hello, Dcox1961.

IMHO, this is more educational toy than a tool. Don't expect accuracy or anything precision. You may be able to turn balsa wood (only).
I wasn't asking about that one in particular. I asked about those types,

I wasn't asking about that one in particular. I asked about those types,
Hello Dcox1961, All those 6 in 1 mini tool are really not practical. They are not powerful enough and will not be suitable for modeling purposes. But this is just my opinion, and personally, I wouldn't consider purchasing.

This tool is useful only to machine timber. For turning timber it is usually OK, it can be used for hard wood below the diameter of about 20 mm. Not good for brass though and forget anything which is harder than brass. Because of the flexibility of the poliurethan (?) body parts the cutter tends to jump out rather than doing the job. As a sander it works OK but who wants to bother setting it up? The same for the jigsaw which is secure but not efficient at all.
EBay, Wish etc. are full of the original (CoolTool or Unimat 1) sets but lately also Chinese copies turned up, for nearly the same price.
Janos

Machine tools made of plastic? Ha-ha-ha. Total waste of money. Besides any tool which is made to serve a multi purpose appears to serve none.
They do make ones out of metal, once again the one I posted was just an example of what I was asking about. I would never buy one out of plastic it was just the first one that popped up when I was looking for an example.

I was asking if anyone had one and used it. I wasn't looking for opinions from people that never used one.

I've got one of those Banggood mini lathes, not the 6-in-1 but the ones advertised for making beads. First, it's not as bad as it looks, providing you don't have high expectations - It cost about £40. It will only do wood and it's fiddly to set up but, once it's up and running it will turn small items, taper masts, etc. I'd rather have a Proxxon, but hey ho.

About 40 years ago I had the Unimat SL with almost all additional equipment. Very strong machine made of cast iron & steel. Very capable to cut metal like brass, but also some steel. If you still find it for reasonal price, buy it. It may however be that the leadscrews and nuts need replacing, as happened to me too.

I bought the Unimat 1 about 3 years ago . This looks like a copy. I've never tried metal, but as a wood lathe its great for masts etc even 30 cms + but also small wooden objects. The other functions are inadequate for serious use, but at the time this was a cheap alternative for a lathe

I've got one of those Banggood mini lathes, not the 6-in-1 but the ones advertised for making beads. First, it's not as bad as it looks, providing you don't have high expectations - It cost about £40. It will only do wood and it's fiddly to set up but, once it's up and running it will turn small items, taper masts, etc. I'd rather have a Proxxon, but hey ho.
it ones need for a lathe are limited, those bead making lathes are adequate for ship modelling where only occasional use is required.

In my experience you are better off getting a tool to accomplish a single purpose...well. If you want to turn stock get a mini lathe. Want to drill...get a drill press. In other words, combo tools can be attractive but they normally do not do any one task well...just a bunch of tasks so-so. Plus...you will soon tire of all the disassembly and reassembly necessary to switch from one mode to another. Do that for, say, a dozen cannons and you will see what I mean. Getting single purpose tools are more expensive but a better investment for your sanity and your modeling.

I agree with @stuglo , this thing is just a (not so) cheap copy of the original Unimat. I hav the original since more than 20 (!) Years, still working fine for wood.
Here is the link to the real thing: https://www.thecooltool.com/produkte/unimat-1/unimat-classic/
For metal work I use an old DDR Lathe also about that age, named "Hobbymat", the small Unimat will not get the work done.

Regards
Gerhard

I agree with @stuglo , this thing is just a (not so) cheap copy of the original Unimat. I hav the original since more than 20 (!) Years, still working fine for wood.
Here is the link to the real thing: https://www.thecooltool.com/produkte/unimat-1/unimat-classic/
For metal work I use an old DDR Lathe also about that age, named "Hobbymat", the small Unimat will not get the work done.

Regards
Gerhard
So you have used and own one of those types of tools. Do you find yourself using all the features or do you just keep it set to one function? I have a whole workshop of full size wood working tools. I was just looking for a small multi function tool for my small desk. I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of small high quality power tools for the few times I will ever use them. I don't see changing the setup a problem for me as it wont be a tool I use very often. Yes there was an all metal one I had seen that got my attention I just lost the link and couldn't find it again.........the one I linked was just an example of the tool I was inquiring about. I would never buy a plastic tool like that.

Hi @Dcox1961

I`ve used all the functions, but mostly the lathe for really small wodden parts. The milling set is not very good, even the drilling function. If you need a good machine for turning and milling, i would always prefer a smaller lathe with milling head as my old lathe is. For small works will the PROXXON machines be the better thing. I will purchase them in near future, IF my Admiral does allow........................
But, to make a long story short, i would not buy the machine again, there are better and longer lasting machines to get. Even if they are more expensive and need more space!

Regards
Gerhard

I have one of those but the 4mm chuck means it's very limited. Any idea how to remove the chuck? And is there a 3 or 4 jaw that will fit??

I have one of those but the 4mm chuck means it's very limited. Any idea how to remove the chuck? And is there a 3 or 4 jaw that will fit??
on those lathes is there a pass through on the head stock so you can machine longer pieces? or do you have to cut the stock material down to fit?

Back