8 Pound Cannon Kit - scale 1:20

After seeing some of the builds of kits from China on this forum curiosity got the better of me. I have used AliExpress in the past and have not had a problem yet. Shipping is not fast, but is reliable. I bought a deck section kit, with the obscure title "

"2016 NEW wooden scale model scale ancient warship quarter deck 8 pound cannon scene scale wooden military sailing ship models"​

8 Pound Gun Kit 01.jpg

The order arrived after about 20 days, nicely boxed but the cannon kit was wrapped in cling wrap and bubble wrap without a box. The materials were very good. About 20 laser sheets of cherry, plywood of 3 thicknesses, walnut and pear. Very light laser char and very thin cut lines. The cannon is in turned brass and 100 mm long.

IMG_1011 Edited.jpg
The coin is a Canadian Loonie for perspective. Pricing is a bit strange. Several AliExpress stores sell the kit with prices from $153.00 to $69.00 I got mine for $69.00 CND.

I have built the base and added the deck beams.
IMG_1020 Edited.jpgIMG_1021 Edited.jpg
This is going to be a fun build.

Broden

Starting on the structure for the bulwarks and the location of the gun port.IMG_1023 Edited.jpg

A machinist 3 block comes in handy.IMG_1026 Edited.jpgIMG_1027 Edited.jpg

Gun port located between 4th and 5th frame.

Question, the deck planks and the bulwark planks are pre-drilled for brass wire as nails, should the brass wire supplied be blackened? In fact I have some very small nails which are also brass and could be blackened.

Thanks

Broden

IMG_1028 Edited.jpg

Starting on the structure for the bulwarks and the location of the gun port.View attachment 300979

A machinist 3 block comes in handy.View attachment 300980View attachment 300981

Gun port located between 4th and 5th frame.

Question, the deck planks and the bulwark planks are pre-drilled for brass wire as nails, should the brass wire supplied be blackened? In fact I have some very small nails which are also brass and could be blackened.

Thanks

Broden

View attachment 300982
G'day Broden, that is a very nice looking deck section, did the $69 include shipping or was that extra.
As regards to blackening of the brass wire, I think that if you blacken it and use it for pinning the planks, then you will have to sand the planks and pins to get a smooth finish and any blackening will be removed, why don't you just use treenails instead,
Best regards John,

I agree here with John alias @neptune
I would also not use any metal nails for the deck planking - wooden treenails would be better, maybe using toothsticks (I am making the treenails often with them)
BTW: Is there a scale of this model known?
BTW2: The kit is looking interesting and good quality....

Thanks for the feedback.
The scale is 1/20 which is refreshingly large. I am working on HMS Terror at 1/74 and a plastic amour kit at 1/35. I have brass nails at 0.5mm, kit supplied brass wire at 1mm for deck nails. The marked holes are pierced and tight for the 0.5 mm nails. Tooth picks, at least the ones I have, are way too big even at the tip. I will test on a scrap bit of cherry using the nails sanding then blackening and post how it works. I'll also scan the instruction pages and post them here.

So work progresses. I am enjoying the build. The bulwark is getting there. not everything are glued down yet. Lots of sanding and fitting.
IMG_1046 Edited.jpg
I tried mounting the first 2 planks then inserting tooth pick tips as tree nails. I'm not sure that is the solution for the full deck.
IMG_1039 Edited.jpg

Also built the Capstan, need to clean it up and put on some finish. The power bucket is waiting for iron bands which will get done with the blackening of the cannon itself.
IMG_1047 Edited.jpgIMG_1048 Edited.jpg

I made a .pdf file of the instructions and sales images.
It is too big "58,772 KB" for the server so If anyone is interested get back to me and we will figure out a way to share it.

Cheers

After seeing some of the builds of kits from China on this forum curiosity got the better of me. I have used AliExpress in the past and have not had a problem yet. Shipping is not fast, but is reliable. I bought a deck section kit, with the obscure title "

"2016 NEW wooden scale model scale ancient warship quarter deck 8 pound cannon scene scale wooden military sailing ship models"​

The order arrived after about 20 days, nicely boxed but the cannon kit was wrapped in cling wrap and bubble wrap without a box. The materials were very good. About 20 laser sheets of cherry, plywood of 3 thicknesses, walnut and pear. Very light laser char and very thin cut lines. The cannon is in turned brass and 100 mm long.

The coin is a Canadian Loonie for perspective. Pricing is a bit strange. Several AliExpress stores sell the kit with prices from $153.00 to $69.00 I got mine for $69.00 CND.

Broden
Hallo @Broden
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 300776

View attachment 300777

View attachment 300778View attachment 300779

Broden
I built this same kit, it does come out nice, but a few minor issues not clearly identified in plans.

Back