#8 Support: Seats, thwarts, yoke installation ... Paddles

Paddles....
They can be made in different shape and different ways: one or several pieces.
The paddles below will likely end up as part of the 17-inch pear wood model. They are made from pear wood and entirely shape by hand. The material used: mostly from the 3.2 mm (1/8th inch) stock and the 2 accent strips from 6.4 x 0.8 mm (1/4 x 1/32") strip:
Tools: Jeweler saw, round file and sand paper of various grit (120, 320, 600 - then polished with 1500)
A few photos to illustrate the before and after... It took about 1.5 hour to do the sanding to shape after assembly and glue drying.

View attachment 178169

View attachment 178170

View attachment 178171

View attachment 178172

View attachment 178173

As I mentioned somewhere else, I often use close-up photos to see if I missed anything and for quality control.
In this case, I notice that the paddle would look better if the shaft was tapered down towards the handle from the front and back: it is already tapered on the sides from the top of the blade up. But that will be done tomorrow...

G.
Your hand carving skills are amazing as well as very sharp knives with handles that fit your hands. PT-2

With the help of your photos, we can imagine very good how the construction of such a paddle has to be made
Good to show the rough structure in comparison to the finished one - Very informative

Back