15000 Members !! 16000 Member Mark !!!

what makes this community is the ever growing membership and the willingness to share.

From the beginning the group that started the community had in mind to focus on the hobby of model ship building and leave the politics at the curb, because our research indicated model builders were not interested in political agendas. This is indeed a leading factor in our success.

The second part of our successful community was the idea of banning people and businesses would back fired and actually cut us off from an ever expanding hobby. This concept evolved into a sort of out reach program and opened a line of communication to anyone and everyone willing to come to the table with an open mind. This was a booming, successful approach and is paying off by creating new kits and new group builds and making new products available and opens us to technological advancements in the hobby.

As Zoltan said

Also do not forget about our third-party friends who are continuously advertising us and forwarding new members to our forum!!

believe it or not this is another contributing factor to our growth, this other group constantly watched then copies and repeats thing that go on within the forum. Makes me think we are the movers and shakers and the inovative group to watch. Humans are by nature a curious animal and by the constant advertising of Ships of Scale and it's members those people will pay us a visit to see what all the talk is about. What they find is a load of information about the hobby and that is all, so they end up sticking around.

we are not striving to have the most members that is not our goal, what is, is quality of content about the hobby and only the hobby.

my prediction for the future is, you will be seeing new and improvements in this hobby that can not be seen on any other forum due to their self imposed restrictions..

thank you one and all it does take a village

and a special shout out to Donnie who from the start stood his ground dispite all that went against him. He is the rock this village sits on.

Last edited:
A big shout out to Donnie and the crew of admins and moderators who not only keep the forums going in right direction, but who also strive to make all new and old members welcome and assist them in learning the ropes as the old term goes!
CAN ONLY AGREE. I just take this orpurtitnity to thanks the members for giving mi also thumps up during my one :cool:AnchorAnchorAnchorShip-1Ship-1month + recovery. It is maybe the reason that I had a faster recovery. Thanks to ALL from Granddadnearly 78 years now

14th of February Zoly mentioned 6.000 members

We reached 6000 members today!!

On the 5th of June we had 1.000 members more and reached the 7.000

Hello everyone! Today we reached 7000 members today, thanks to all the members on Sos participating in this journey, in 4 years Sos grew 10 folds,4 years ago we had 700 members only with 7-10 active members posting 10-15 new post a week, we became a forum with hundreds, thousands are logging in regularly to look around, and are members posting average 150 posts a day on many build logs and topics. So thanks again to everyone!!

and today at the 11th of November we can announce, that we have now 8.000 members

Unbenannt.JPG

BTW: I checked the statistics:
exactly one year ago at the 11.th November 2020 we had "only" 5.147 members
-> so slightly less than 3.000 new members during one year -> WOW

Many Many thanks to all of you making this success possible !!!!

Surprised it's that low! I've been on well-known gaming sites, I'm old and not a fan of forums after some awful experiences. This site, though... first, let me say that I made a comment on a thread that could have been misinterpreted. I got a comment from an administrator. I could reply to correct my mistake! I got another response that eased my mind from one of the team here.

You don't know how much it means to me to be a part of a site that both shares my interests and is... well... human!

Congrats and let's see 10,000,

14th of February Zoly mentioned 6.000 members

We reached 6000 members today!!

On the 5th of June we had 1.000 members more and reached the 7.000

Hello everyone! Today we reached 7000 members today, thanks to all the members on Sos participating in this journey, in 4 years Sos grew 10 folds,4 years ago we had 700 members only with 7-10 active members posting 10-15 new post a week, we became a forum with hundreds, thousands are logging in regularly to look around, and are members posting average 150 posts a day on many build logs and topics. So thanks again to everyone!!

On the 11th of November 2021 we announced, that we have now 8.000 members
exactly one year ago at the 11.th November 2020 we had "only" 5.147 members
-> so slightly less than 3.000 new members during one year

And today at the 28th February we can announce, that we have now 9.000 members

But not only the membership is growing, also the number of active members and number of posts, new topics etc.

Many Thanks for all your participation to make this possible and our forum so attractive

Soon we will have as many members as Doc has posts on his Wasa build log!

This is great news showing folks have heard about the good done here and how we mostly all get along and most important to me is the help we get and chance to help others.

Thanks to all the members and admin team.

Soon we will have as many members as Doc has posts on his Wasa build log!

This is great news showing folks have heard about the good done here and how we mostly all get along and most important to me is the help we get and chance to help others.

Thanks to all the members and admin team.
I saw this!!! I love this forum - even Kurt... :D

Just make sure that quantity does not override quality!
János
I get that. I'm very new to the site, but I don't think you have to get worried about new members.

I'd say that all of the old hands here are just what I'd hope for... honest, knowledgeable and helpful. That's why I joined.

I can't see that a whole bunch of idiots are suddenly going to take up the craft of wooden model ship making. We may be daft to do it, but we're all dedicated to doing it, however new we may be to the craft.

I'm happy that membership is growing, but concerned that some members are not happy about this... Janos, for instance.

Who's Janos, anyway?

I think you (Janos) suggested that quantity of memership didn't equate with quality. Let's see, shall we...

Oh, I think Janos is Australian... err... how shall I rephrase this...

..put it this way, I can't possibly disagree with anything that Janos has to say! Sadly, Janos, your cricket team has just thrashed ours in the Ashes, your rugby teams (Union or League, take your pick) are way better than ours.

I still think that us Poms can contribute to the site.

Oh, and I paid to get a subscription to endure us getting beaten! I love cricket, but that was taking it a bit too far.

Cricket aside, well done for getting to this landmark. You shouldn't be surprised, though.

Last edited:
I'm happy that membership is growing, but concerned that some members are not happy about this... Janos, for instance.

Who's Janos, anyway?

I think you (Janos) suggested that quantity of memership didn't equate with quality. Let's see, shall we...

Oh, I think Janos is Australian... err... how shall I rephrase this...

..put it this way, I can't possibly disagree with anything that Janos has to say! Sadly, Janos, your cricket team has just thrashed ours in the Ashes, your rugby teams (Union or League, take your pick) are way better than ours.

I still think that us Poms can contribute to the site.

Oh, and I paid to get a subscription to endure us getting beaten! I love cricket, but that was taking it a bit too far.

Cricket aside, well done for getting to this landmark. You shouldn't be surprised, though.
I agree totally with Janos and other Old Timers. I myself, have more than 50 Years' experience, so maybe tome to leave. 1Th image Norske LOWE, before it was laser cut -late 1970 t.2.Nd. Same ship- now laser cut and was finished 1991.

IMG_20210625_223457.jpg

NORSKE LOVE.jpg

We have reached the 1000 member mark. I want to explain something here. I do believe that as far as member per build logs RATIO is concerned, SOS is very active, alive and well. I skimmed over ALL the build logs and we have 69 "Active" logs going on at this moment. I used a 3 month algorithm due to the fact that a log that is active in my opinion is going to post withing that 3 month time frame. Now, this does not include logs past 3 months. I am saying ACTIVE logs that people are posting on a regular basis. If I were to go back to 4 months, of semi-active, the number would probably jump up to about 100 semi active logs.

I am very pleased with these statistics. This tells me that the hobby is growing and continues to thrive. It also says A LOT about the fine and great people here that loves what they do and loves to help others. People here put others first in helping as I remember myself my first wooden ship (Bluenose) got abandoned due to frustration. It was making all those scuppers along the hull that got me down. So, I set it to the side. It was many years that came back to the hobby, little did I understand the "Nature" of the hobby.

The "Nature" of this hobby encompasses so many attributes besides just the gluing and building. The "Nature" of the hobby includes the core thing and that is the people. Ships of Scale has seen a lot of misfortunes and celebrations. Babies born to families, modelers facing cancer, hard times and good times, and unfortunately the passing of some great friends.

We all have problems, some with handicaps, physical problems, but it is the workbench that brings us all together. It is my sincere prayer that all of us will continue with our faith to continue the love of the hobby and the love for each other.

No one is perfect, we have disagreements, but somehow that workbench seems to heal a lot of stress and bring us back together again. Remember that "He" is the one that is the ultimate Captain of our ship and brings true healing to us all.

Sincerely
Donald B. Driskell
I really love this sos forum, lots of likeminded people from all around the world.
All with a common interest and eager to help each other, which is refreshing in this crazy world , and thank you in the work you do with helping to run this forum cheers ian (aka the crazy Welshman )

Back