A 160 foot Dutch Eastindiaman (VOC) 1699 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Usually my models do not take more than a few months to be completed, but this one is another story. I started making the plans in the 80s of the last century, when I found a complete description of three charters of 'retour' ships in the book 'Beschryvinge van de Oostindische Compagnie' (Description of the Eastindian Company) by P. van Dam (1701). In 1697 the Heeren XVII (directors) of the VOC established the shapes of their ships to be built in a Resolution with measurements of 9 station lines, all together 54 locations which were enough to be processed into a lines plan.

1.png oorspronkelijke tekening Hoving.jpeg

In 2016 I started a paper model just to see how the shape worked out in 1/77 scale. After a few false starts I ended up with a hull which was entirely documented, a rare thing in Dutch maritime history. Most models of those days are copies of original models or the products of simply bare guesswork. I showed my methods of building here several times, so I just post a few pics to give an image of the build.

IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0960 kopie.JPG

I was satisfied with the model, but decided not to rig it, because it was 70 centimeters long already (rigged it appeared to measure over 80) and I think that is too big for a private home. My wife's tolerance has its borders.:)
Lately a museum showed interest in an Eastindiaman and I decided to finish it after all. So in November last year I started working. There was a huge problem when it came to the details: there was no contemporary model nor paintings or prints of such a vessel of around 1700. The Eastindia Company changed the looks of their ships since the oldest model (Prins Willem 1651) and the differences were massive, judged by the next retourship model: Valkenisse (1717). The high aft end of ships had become much lower, the fashion for carvings changed from multi-colored into just yellow and the function of the vessels changed too: more and more the ships were equipped with accomodation for passengers, for which a sun roof was made over the quarterdeck where the passengers resided when they left their quarters there. Also a second row of windows was placed in the stern, causing an entirely different composition of the 'taffrail'. In combination with the lower aft section of the ship, the stern slowly changed into a horse shoe shape as can be seen on the Valkenisse. Closest to what I was looking for was the stern of the William Rex of 1697, but she was a warship and therefore much more decorated than a trader like my model.

8.png 9.jpg 10.jpg

I started looking for a name for my ship, which I found in the archives: the first 160 footer built in Amsterdam after the Resolution had been effected was 'Generale Vrede' of 1699. The name referred to the Peace of Ryswick, which ended the Nine-years War (1688-1697) between France and an alliance of many other European counties. It corrected Louis XIV's efforts to enlarge his country at the costs of its neighbours. The VOC was very happy with this treaty, because it had lost many ships to the French privateers who were raiding the Channel during that time. Of course there was no picture of this particular ship, so I had to improvize. I did my best with a banner with the name, the Greek goddess of peace Eirene with a child on her arm and some peace pidgeons. The shape of the stern is not completely horse shoe-like yet, still an bit like William Rex, but it starts tending into that direction.
Furthermore the build was rather uncomplicated. As usual my son made the pictures. I hope you like both the model and the pictures.

Generale_Vrede_1_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_2_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_3_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_4_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_6_HR.JPG
Generale_Vrede_8_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_11_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_13_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_15_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_17_HR.JPG Generale_Vrede_19_HR.JPGGenerale_Vrede_20_HR.JPG

Generale_Vrede_5_HR.JPG

a wonderful model of suich a twodecker - very interesting ship btw.....
many Thanks for sharing with us

A very lovely and lively model, Ab, as always. I have noticed, with your models, that you always paint a “softer” waterline of the white stuff. My sense is, not that you can’t paint a razor sharp line, but that you do this intentionally as a realistically representative feature of the times. Can you share a few thoughts on this subject?

I have always been fascinated by the Dutch preference for flat bottomed boats and ships with bluff bows, both historical and modern, particularly as they always seem to result in unique but shapely hulls.

Thank you Uwe, sailor_ed, Hubac’s Historian and ChrisP for you kind reactions.

Hubac’s Historian: You are a sharp observer. Indeed I deliberately do not tape my waterlines to obtain a crisp difference between what is under and what is above water. This white stuff (consisting of resin, animal fat and sulpher) was not exactly what we should see as paint. It was an antifouling and was applied by the crew several times during a voyage, like scraping and cleaning the bottom from growth of algae, weed and shells. It was done in a crude manner and you can see that for yourself if you closely look at contemporary paintings. Of course every model builder is free to use his own methods, but the incredibly clean way some present their models does in my humble view not contribute to the credibility of the object. As you can see in my work I like the weathered, sometimes misused look of models since I concentrate only at looks and no longer at construction details. I know the latter. Been there, done that. Alle my life I built models simply to research construction methods. Model building has always been a method to gain knowledge, not as a pastime. If a model was finished I was hardly interested in it. That’s why I never built a kit. I do my own research. I did some experiments with that waterline too. I even tried an airbrush to get a vaguer borderline between white and brown, but in the end the roughly painted one pleased me the most. I see my present work as the product of one of the pleasures of getting older: I don’t have to prove anything. There is just the pleasure of building. And if the end product does not match with what a spectator expects to see…. Well, I could not care less. I like it this way. And isn’t that what it is all about with our hobby?

Last edited:
Ab this is a beautiful model. I really like the look of the "later" ship and the differences that it brings with it.

Generale_Vrede_17_HR.png
I find the overkapping particularly interesting in that it remains partially open as opposed to the Batavia where it is fully enclosed on the sides by the verschansing. This part reminds me very much on the layout of the Willem Barentsz even though it is on a 100-year younger ship.

Very beautiful and interesting ship. Since I have visited the Batavia shipyard several times I like this kind of ships.
What colours do you use, especially to get the weathered look on the hull?
Christian

Thank you Heinrich.
The awning on this ship was only there for the comfort of the passengers, to protect them against the tropical sun. That is almost incomparable with the cover in the bow of Barentsz's ship, which gave the crew just a little shelter from the grim climate in the Arctic... The construction is also completely different. On the Batavia there is no sun roof at all, just a quarterdeck like on this vessel. But making comparisons is always useful. It teaches you all kinds of things.... For instance how limited our knowledge is.

Thank you Gebirgsmarine: I use Humbrol #63 with a wiped off coat of Rembrandt's VanDijcks brown and in the end a wash of matt varnish with some Rembrandt Asphalt extra #414. See my tutorials for details.

Thank you Heinrich.
The awning on this ship was only there for the comfort of the passengers, to protect them against the tropical sun. That is almost incomparable with the cover in the bow of Barentsz's ship, which gave the crew just a little shelter from the grim climate in the Arctic... The construction is also completely different. On the Batavia there is no sun roof at all, just a quarterdeck like on this vessel. But making comparisons is always useful. It teaches you all kinds of things.... For instance how limited our knowledge is.
Correct. On the Batavia the verschansing extends past (higher than) the quarterdeck - therefore it is a fully enclosed portion of the ship (except at the front). Hence my comment that the awning differs (as opposed to) from that on the Generale Vrede.

On the Willem Barentsz I was not referring to the overkapping in the bow, but to the one in the centre of the ship (indicated by the yellow arrow).

HES-zeilend-full-in-ruwe-zee-sec - 副本.jpg

On this drawing by Gerald de Weerdt it as shown as open at the front, but on Koos Weestra's model (whom the official website describes as "one of the driving forces behind the reconstruction of the replica" it is closed at the front with schot and doors.

Still, different construction, different purpose. The cover on the Barentsz ship is a grating for shelter without the risk of having too much weight too high in the ship.
Koos Westra’s model was made as a sort of reconnaisance after drawings from De Weerdt’s and my book on this ship. Good example of a model not necessarily identical to the real ship…

Thank you Ab. That I iunderstand completely - so according to your interpretation, was that grating closed or open?

Perhaps you meant on the front side?
That is hardly of importance. Don’t forget that on these sailing ships the wind was practically always blowing from the back. So a bulkhead on the front side did not add so much…

Thank you very much Ab. I appreciate the information.

Thank you Uwe, sailor_ed, Hubac’s Historian and ChrisP for you kind reactions.

Hubac’s Historian: You are a sharp observer. Indeed I deliberately do not tape my waterlines to obtain a crisp difference between what is under and what is above water. This white stuff (consisting of resin, animal fat and sulpher) was not exactly what we should see as paint. It was an antifouling and was applied by the crew several times during a voyage, like scraping and cleaning the bottom from growth of algae, weed and shells. It was done in a crude manner and you can see that for yourself if you closely look at contemporary paintings. Of course every model builder is free to use his own methods, but the incredibly clean way some present their models does in my humble view not contribute to the credibility of the object. As you can see in my work I like the weathered, sometimes misused look of models since I concentrate only at looks and no longer at construction details. I know the latter. Been there, done that. Alle my life I built models simply to research construction methods. Model building has always been a method to gain knowledge, not as a pastime. If a model was finished I was hardly interested in it. That’s why I never built a kit. I do my own research. I did some experiments with that waterline too. I even tried an airbrush to get a vaguer borderline between white and brown, but in the end the roughly painted one pleased me the most. I see my present work as the product of one of the pleasures of getting older: I don’t have to prove anything. There is just the pleasure of building. And if the end product does not match with what a spectator expects to see…. Well, I could not care less. I like it this way. And isn’t that what it is all about with our hobby?
Thank you, Ab - well said!

Good day Dear Ab,
I always watch yours works with great pleasure and interest!
Thank You very much for sharing your knowledge and art! Wish You all the Best!
Kirill

Thanx Kirill4.
To be honest, I doubt if building ship models has anything to do with art. But it has to do with knowledge, yes, a lot. For the rest my work is just for easy building. Paper allows a lot of freedom and speed. I even finished another vessel today. Soon photographs will follow. So stay tuned.
Ab

Back