A 20+ year old Prince

Yas

Restarted a model from 20 years ago: Prince de Neufchatel from Constructo. Making some new progress but remembering now why I stopped, frustrated, so many years ago. Hope to get some help from experienced builders and maybe share some work with the community.

A warm welcome here on board of our forum - I am pretty sure, that we can assist you in this

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not very familiar with period ships or nautical terms but I'm trying my best. Here are some early (15 yr old?) shots of my ship build. I've enjoyed it so far, however the instructions, diagrams and photos in my kit are becoming increasingly hard to understand. I'll follow up with newer images and some questions. Happy for feedback (go easy).

DSCN6263.jpgDSCN6260.jpg100_0174_sm.jpg100_0178_sm.jpg100_0179_sm.jpg100_0180_sm.jpg100_0176_sm.jpg

I have to agree with the statement of Jim - a real good basis
You have to think about, to finalize this kit, or choose another one with which you re-start the hobby - first of all I would check, if you have still everything for the finalization in the box. After 15 years things, parts and also drawings can be lost......
Do not misunderstand me - I also did not finish my first 2 models - I lost the fun working on these models, maybe especially the quality was not good enough (of the kit, or my work - can not remember any more ;) )

Appreciate the responses. Was a gift from my dad; recently deceased. Crazy, but I feel like I owe it to him to finish this somehow. Did a quick inventory and I have all the pieces, blurry photos and instructions from the kit. I get confused about starting, threading, and finishing running and standing rigging through 2 and 3 hole blocks and how they're attached to yards, masts and such. The kit says the rigging is too complex to explain, just follow the diagrams and look at the photos... sure. Here's how I did the cathead/anchor setup? Is it close? Also, have a good laugh at the sketchy way I tied down my cannons based on some bad online reference. I know. They need fixed, the best way I'm not sure.

IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0452.jpgIMG_0451.jpgIMG_0449.jpgIMG_0448.JPG

I was in the same position a year ago and finished a model that was damaged and incomplete. You will find all that you need here, just ask your questions.
There are so many talented builders willing to help.

Hi Yas. To get answers to some of your questions please ask your self what are you trying to archive with this model? How do you want to build it? If you want to assemble as per kit instructions, then follow the instruction provided. The kit supposed to give you all of the sizes for parts. Should you take a path to modify (bash) the kit, get your self a copy of the book: Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Monfeld (click the link). IMHO this is an indispensable allowance for novice shipbuilder in period ships. You would be surprised to find answers to most of your questions. ;)

Do you think the cat to anchor rigging is in the ballpark?
Hi Yas,
The cathead looks good to me. I can't see the bottom of the block, but it should have an open hook. Also there should be a safety rope tied around the anchor with a couple of half hitches and belayed through a sheve on the side of the cathead to the deck. This was to prevent the anchor from jarring off the hook. Rigging is my favorite part of the build. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions.

Vince P.

Hi Yas,
The cathead looks good to me. I can't see the bottom of the block, but it should have an open hook. Also there should be a safety rope tied around the anchor with a couple of half hitches and belayed through a sheve on the side of the cathead to the deck. This was to prevent the anchor from jarring off the hook. Rigging is my favorite part of the build. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions.

Vince P.
Hi Yas. To get answers to some of your questions please ask your self what are you trying to archive with this model? How do you want to build it? If you want to assemble as per kit instructions, then follow the instruction provided. The kit supposed to give you all of the sizes for parts. Should you take a path to modify (bash) the kit, get your self a copy of the book: Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Monfeld (click the link). IMHO this is an indispensable allowance for novice shipbuilder in period ships. You would be surprised to find answers to most of your questions. ;)

Thanks for the reference Jim and for taking a look and commenting Vince. Appreciate the advice of experienced and accomplished builders. Promise not to show and request validation on every step of my project. Ha! I'm going to do some research. Thanks again!

Thanks for the reference Jim and for taking a look and commenting Vince. Appreciate the advice of experienced and accomplished builders. Promise not to show and request validation on every step of my project. Ha! I'm going to do some research. Thanks again!
We are happy to help and assist in every step.....and we are also happy to see every single step in your progress - yes - research is good and important, but very often a short post here and some communication in the forum is reducing often the time to get answers.....and others are learning also

Jim I got some reference books. Historic Model Ships is one, very helpful suggestion... thanks again! I also borrowed Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson from the library. It's all diagrams, but clean with enlarged, detailed areas where critical understanding is needed and illustrated. It's much easier to realize what needs to happen at scale when you understand the why, how, action and purpose of things at full-scale. Do you know if the book The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860 by James Lee is any good?

Hi Yas, I am glad I can help. This is an excellent reference book for both: kit and scratch builders. It is one of those 'must have' for serious modeler. Our forum is the greatest resource and thanks to @Uwek who made The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860 by James Lee book review (click the title) so you can review and make a decision. We have tons of invaluable information, here on the SOS. Please spend some time and research on various topics. I bet you would say WOW! This is what I said when joining the forum...

I am building this old kit myself, I bought it a long ago. Not a bad kit compared with more modern ones, at least the wood is decent and the fittings are of very good standard.

I am at the beginning, though, but enjoying it. Hope to see more of your building.

Regards

JL

Hi JL,
I am at the beginning also. If you post a build log, we can build together. I did this with another model and we helped each other out along the way. Since there are no other builds of this kit, it would be very beneficial to have 2 going at the same time. What do you think?

Vince

Back