A Christmas Present to myself

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi All

By my own admission I have too many projects but when I found something I wanted for a number of years on Ebay on Christmas Eve I had to click the buy it now button.Now I am not a fan of Partworks but the subject matter in question and contents outweighed that.
My purchase is the complete package (parts 1-120) of Deagostini's Twelve Apostles,Russia's 120 gun Ship of the line.This contains a myriad of photoetch parts for the fine details and cast armament unique to this model.The model is 1/100 but still makes up to a decent size.
This Part work,to my knowledge was first released in Italy then Russia and Eastern Europe.It never made it to the UK and my example is coming from Poland so guess what,the instructions will be in PolishROTF.The pictures and many builds on the Russian forums will help.
For whatever reason this was never a massively popular partwork but the subject matter is of great personal fascination so the fact I got it for about 60% of the original high street price is a big bonus.
Not many official pics to post as the old links are now dead,but I may put a review in the kit section when I receive it in January.Not so easy with 120 separate packs.

Merry Christmas

Nigel

ta1.jpg

It is certainly a nice vessel to build a model from. Dmitry Shevelev built this model and have a build log on one of the Russian forums. I will have to find where (not handy at the moment). In any way, if you need assistance with Russian translation - I am always offering my help!

I am familiar with Dmitry's model Jim.Here is a link to the build;

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Brian.I really wasn't looking for another project.I have been in love with this particular partwork since it was first released way back when I was on Deagostini's UK forum building Sovereign.The moderator posted the Italian marketing video and I thought I have to build this when it hits the UK.That day never came.I have read that 80,000 of these were sold but few have come to fruition,at least on the internet.
The part work was manufactured by Artesania Latina and used their latest style of hull carcass,new out in this partwork.It is now used on their Vasa release.I have kept an eye out for a complete set ever since and found one for sale in Russia a while back,but it was double what I paid and simply too much money then shipping and taxes on top!
I had said to myself that this,if I could find one would be my last project to buy so that is it now,my stash is complete.I have enough projects to see me well into retirement

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel, that’s a great Christmas present . Will you share the picture of all 120 Deagostini magazines, I would like to see the size of it.

Merry Christmas!

I will Max when it arrives.I am toying with doing a bit of a review as I plan to sort the parts into storage boxes and put the paperwork in binders.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am also looking forward to See this Kit in Parts.
Looking like a Great project. These are the best christmas presents......

Хороший корабль у меня есть все номера . чертеж правда у Вас не тот .Вот Вам чертежи 12 апостолов

Good ship I have all the numbers. the drawing is really not yours. Here are the drawings of the 12 apostles

View attachment 125539View attachment 125540View attachment 125541View attachment 125542View attachment 125543View attachment 125544View attachment 125545View attachment 125546View attachment 125547View attachment 125548View attachment 125549

Great drawings and thankyou for posting.With your permission I would like to use them in the introduction of a build log when I eventually start the build.I feel that in the west, modellers do not pay enough attention to some of the great ships in Russia's history.I was unhappy when Deagostini did not launch this in the west,possibly as they thought it would have limited interest,hence me having to buy a set from Poland.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back