A New Approach to Miniature Shipbuilding

A New Approach to Miniature Shipbuilding
This is an introductory article covering a new (or maybe old-fashioned) approach to anyone contemplating taking up this fascinating hobby. It is quite different from the accepted view of 21st century model shipbuilding that is mainly centred on kits, and the rather strange statement or belief of “I could never do that” when applied to scratchbuilding. It is 16 pages in length (A4), contains 4,957 words and 24 images in both black & white and colour, plus plans of the small topsail schooner Julia (pictured below). By clicking this link, you are not committed to purchase, but may read the synopsis. https://payhip.com/b/Nbci Then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button for £1.49 ($2) is provided for Paypal or cards. This download is especially suitable for those modellers who lack patience, and like to see quick results. Personally, I could never contemplate spending months, or even years working on a single model. The Julia, (pictured belwo) whose plans are in the download, took 42 hours to build, spread over 26 days. The working time was recorded with a stopwatch. Although the download does not contain any constructional details, it does point the way, showing the simple tools required to make small models like this, and where to obtain materials and plans. There is also a comprehensive list of my other downloads, most of them being less than $5, with some comprehensive ones with hundreds of pages, up to a maximum of $10.72 dollars for a 158-page document, packed with building techniques.
BobView attachment 43598

Reactions: ADC
Thanks Robert. I bought a copy. Will also look at your other interesting offerings. I understand you mainly concentrate on commercial shipping but I believe a ship like the ill fated HMS Captain will look great in your style.

Back