A New Black Pearl in the Shipyard... All Scenarios Version

Ahoy All, I'm happy to announce that a new Black Pearl is in the shipyard. Well, actually, her keel was laid a few months ago.

First, my heartfelt condolences to King Charles and the Royal Family on this day, the 8th of September. The passing of the worlds longest reigning Monarch is a sad day regardless of what country you pledge allegiance to. The Queen is dead, Long Live the King !

This is my first ship build and I never considered doing a build log until I got some good feedback and encouragement from some of the members here when I posted a few pics in "Introduce Yourself"
I have been studying plans, reading build logs, watching videos (god bless YouTube University and all it's contributors) and filling notebooks for months ! !
I finally started her in June and am slowly moving forward and enjoying applying the methods and techniques that I have observed and practiced.

I am hopeful that those who take interest in this log will provide feedback and mentor me as I have seen done with other builds. Your inputs will be welcome, needed and appreciated ! !

Enough jabber, Let me welcome you to my shipyard and share the Pearls progress thus far...

My Admiral of many years has allowed me to carve out a place in our backroom. This is my shipyard.
20220908_182540 p.jpg20220908_182600.jpg20220908_182620.jpg

The keel went together with much care to ensure that things were straight and aligned...
20220619_165254.jpg20220619_165300.jpg20220720_233210.jpg

I played around a lot with deck finishes... and went with a process learned online from a shipwright at Model Ships. A combination of isopropyl alcohol and Indian ink and scraped graphite.
I like the gray tone and contrast with the walnut ribs as well as the ability to create traffic patterns and darkened areas with the graphite. It seems to get lost in the pictures but looks great in person !
20220720_104528.jpg20220720_104823.jpg

I dry fit the cell walls, beams and posts. Some sanding and adjusting needed to get the beams to fit proper but it all worked out.
20220722_080155.jpg20220722_080212.jpg20220722_090756.jpg

Took a day or four out of sequence and decided to try my hand at some painting of the deck props and weathering of the cell bars... Even made one of those tiny lantern frames !
Please know that until this date, the only things I had ever weathered had been hard times and and few North Atlantic storms on a destroyer. Thanks again to Model Ships and his excellent vids. This is his process and I'm quite pleased with the results.
I used Vallejo brown paints on the deck props with a black wash. Prior to placement they will be dusted with Desert Dust pigment.
Rust washes with light and dark rust pigments on the cell bars.
20220819_075726.jpg20220819_031236.jpg

Love these little buckets but didn't like the way they looked when I tried tying rope handles. Stripped some old USB cable, twisted them together and painted them black. I'm pleased with the appearance.
20220723_083524.jpg20220723_090906.jpg

Stained the beams, posts and cell walls. Strategically hitting them with sand paper to show age and wear. This is still a work in progress. Nothing has been glued.
20220820_101542.jpg20220820_101521.jpg

Went to work fitting the metal cell grates into the walls. As many have mentioned, there's a fair amount of sanding to do here. Got them all fitted. The cell walls still need to be weathered with diluted grey paint and pigments. I want this lower to deck to look dark and dank with the feeling of wet wood and stained walls. Also fabricated some rings for the handles on the cell doors but haven't fitted them yet. They'll get brass blacked and the rust treatment.
20220829_211547.jpg20220829_211535.jpg20220829_211513.jpg20220829_211559.jpg20220829_212130.jpg20220905_153444.jpg

So Mates, That's where we be as of this log entry. I'd like to hear your inputs, opinions, warnings ! ! I'd prefer to have warnings of potential problems than discovery !
I've gathered that ship building does not subscribe to Bob Ross' "Happy Little Accidents" theory...
and I've much to do to finish that which I've shared and get everything glued in place. All of the deck props, lighting and the front and rear bulk heads with the doors. Which reminds me.
Here's a question... or poll as it may be. The bulkheads with doors are plain and flat plywood. I'm going to plank these for a board effect and originally intended to plank them vertically as I've seen on other models. Then I saw that the Captains cabin bulkhead is etch planked horizontally. I'm leaning toward vertical but would like some opinions.

That's all I have for now. Thank you all again for having me.

Be happy and be well.

David

20220820_101545.jpg

20220829_212202.jpg

Hallo David,
this is looking like a very interesting project (and building log)
I am looking forward .....

Hi David, it's great to see the start of another Black Pearl. Your BP is looking very good and it will be interesting to follow your progress.
I finished my BP last year (golden version) and found it a very enjoyable and well put together kit, the only downside was the poor instructions.

Welcome to your first wooden ship build, David. Off to a promising start! The rusty cell bars tell me this isn't your first rodeo as far as scale modeling goes...

Hi David, it's great to see the start of another Black Pearl. Your BP is looking very good and it will be interesting to follow your progress.
I finished my BP last year (golden version) and found it a very enjoyable and well put together kit, the only downside was the poor instructions.
Thank you Tony. Appreciate the kind words.
Yes, the instructions leave much to be desired... Surprising to me from a kit that seems so well engineered. Were it not for build logs and YouTube videos I'd be making scores of mistakes ! !
As a BP veteran, please chime in when you see opportunity... your feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

David

Welcome to your first wooden ship build, David. Off to a promising start! The rusty cell bars tell me this isn't your first rodeo as far as scale modeling goes...
Paul ! I feel as though I know you ! I have been completely absorbed in your VASA build over the last 2 days. Such amazing workmanship. I have gotten to where you have just finished the wales and are starting in on the capstan. I am fascinated by your planking job... However, there will be no scarf joints on this Pearl !
Appreciate you dropping in. Please stay close. I admire your work and will welcome your feedback.

David

Paul ! I feel as though I know you ! I have been completely absorbed in your VASA build over the last 2 days. Such amazing workmanship. I have gotten to where you have just finished the wales and are starting in on the capstan. I am fascinated by your planking job... However, there will be no scarf joints on this Pearl !
Appreciate you dropping in. Please stay close. I admire your work and will welcome your feedback.

David
How nice of you to say David! If you make it through the whole thing, I'll be impressed. I like the idea of building a fantasy ship (BP) - lots of room for creativity.

Most of what I've seen is horizontal for sides and vertical for fore and aft. It probably has to do with what you can nail things to on the bulkheads. I'm no expert on the matter,just reporting what I've seen.

Most of what I've seen is horizontal for sides and vertical for fore and aft. It probably has to do with what you can nail things to on the bulkheads. I'm no expert on the matter,just reporting what I've seen.
I'm finding the same... I believe you're correct with that line of thinking. Thank you !!

great to see another black Pearl build log. The black Pearl is a very popular model by ZHL one of the leaders in model ship kits.
It is rare to see information on painting models as most are not painted. your weathering techniques are outstanding please do not gloss over details on how you do it.

great to see another black Pearl build log. The black Pearl is a very popular model by ZHL one of the leaders in model ship kits.
It is rare to see information on painting models as most are not painted. your weathering techniques are outstanding please do not gloss over details on how you do it.
Thank you Dave ! Appreciate your kind words.
This is actually my first time weathering ! ! All credits to a member of this site whom I've been following on YT.
I will ensure his resources are available to others.
Be happy and be well...
David

You are off to a great start, David. I look forward to watching your progress over the next months.
Thank you Jeff... I've been studying your build log and have learned much from you. In fact, I'm moving in the direction you took with a wood tone planking and black highlights. Absolutely stunning. PLEASE lend your insights and directions where see opportunity.
Thank you again !

Ahoy All, I'm happy to announce that a new Black Pearl is in the shipyard. Well, actually, her keel was laid a few months ago.

First, my heartfelt condolences to King Charles and the Royal Family on this day, the 8th of September. The passing of the worlds longest reigning Monarch is a sad day regardless of what country you pledge allegiance to. The Queen is dead, Long Live the King !

This is my first ship build and I never considered doing a build log until I got some good feedback and encouragement from some of the members here when I posted a few pics in "Introduce Yourself"
I have been studying plans, reading build logs, watching videos (god bless YouTube University and all it's contributors) and filling notebooks for months ! !
I finally started her in June and am slowly moving forward and enjoying applying the methods and techniques that I have observed and practiced.

I am hopeful that those who take interest in this log will provide feedback and mentor me as I have seen done with other builds. Your inputs will be welcome, needed and appreciated ! !

Enough jabber, Let me welcome you to my shipyard and share the Pearls progress thus far...

My Admiral of many years has allowed me to carve out a place in our backroom. This is my shipyard.
View attachment 327412View attachment 327414View attachment 327415

The keel went together with much care to ensure that things were straight and aligned...
View attachment 327418View attachment 327419View attachment 327430

I played around a lot with deck finishes... and went with a process learned online from a shipwright at Model Ships. A combination of isopropyl alcohol and Indian ink and scraped graphite.
I like the gray tone and contrast with the walnut ribs as well as the ability to create traffic patterns and darkened areas with the graphite. It seems to get lost in the pictures but looks great in person !
View attachment 327443View attachment 327444

I dry fit the cell walls, beams and posts. Some sanding and adjusting needed to get the beams to fit proper but it all worked out.
View attachment 327445View attachment 327446View attachment 327447

Took a day or four out of sequence and decided to try my hand at some painting of the deck props and weathering of the cell bars... Even made one of those tiny lantern frames !
Please know that until this date, the only things I had ever weathered had been hard times and and few North Atlantic storms on a destroyer. Thanks again to Model Ships and his excellent vids. This is his process and I'm quite pleased with the results.
I used Vallejo brown paints on the deck props with a black wash. Prior to placement they will be dusted with Desert Dust pigment.
Rust washes with light and dark rust pigments on the cell bars.
View attachment 327452View attachment 327453

Love these little buckets but didn't like the way they looked when I tried tying rope handles. Stripped some old USB cable, twisted them together and painted them black. I'm pleased with the appearance.
View attachment 327450View attachment 327451

Stained the beams, posts and cell walls. Strategically hitting them with sand paper to show age and wear. This is still a work in progress. Nothing has been glued.
View attachment 327455View attachment 327454

Went to work fitting the metal cell grates into the walls. As many have mentioned, there's a fair amount of sanding to do here. Got them all fitted. The cell walls still need to be weathered with diluted grey paint and pigments. I want this lower to deck to look dark and dank with the feeling of wet wood and stained walls. Also fabricated some rings for the handles on the cell doors but haven't fitted them yet. They'll get brass blacked and the rust treatment.
View attachment 327459View attachment 327458View attachment 327457View attachment 327460View attachment 327461View attachment 327463

So Mates, That's where we be as of this log entry. I'd like to hear your inputs, opinions, warnings ! ! I'd prefer to have warnings of potential problems than discovery !
I've gathered that ship building does not subscribe to Bob Ross' "Happy Little Accidents" theory...
and I've much to do to finish that which I've shared and get everything glued in place. All of the deck props, lighting and the front and rear bulk heads with the doors. Which reminds me.
Here's a question... or poll as it may be. The bulkheads with doors are plain and flat plywood. I'm going to plank these for a board effect and originally intended to plank them vertically as I've seen on other models. Then I saw that the Captains cabin bulkhead is etch planked horizontally. I'm leaning toward vertical but would like some opinions.

That's all I have for now. Thank you all again for having me.

Be happy and be well.

David

View attachment 327456

View attachment 327462
Good morning David. Off to a brilliant start. Your detail work is awesome- The deck caulking, buckets and gratings with lovely weathering. I will pull up a chair and watch the development of this BP no doubt. Cheers Grant

Back