A quick introduction...

Hello all,

I just wanted to post a quick hello to the membership here at Ships of Scale. While I am new to the hobby of wooden ship building, I have been building plastic models since I was young. As with a lot of folks, I suspect, the hobby fell away for a number of years but I happily picked it back up a few years back and am very glad that I did! These days, I mostly build 1:32 aircraft from the Great War and WWII eras with a smattering of other subjects, including modern jets and armor, but my first kit back from my extended hiatus was actually the 1:96 Revell USS Constitution. I also have a couple of the big 1:200 Trumpeter ships waiting in the wings (HMS Hood and USS Iowa).

I have been spending a lot of time looking over the site in an attempt to gather up the courage to get started on my first wooden ship. The practical side of me has decided that I will start "small" with the 1:32 Amati/Victory Models Fifie fishing vessel. I am hopeful that working in the larger scale will help me to learn some of the necessary skills before embarking on something with more sails and guns. If all goes well, my plan is to tackle the Vanguard Models HMS Speedy next with the ultimate goal of working up to the Amati/Victory Models HMS Vanguard, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon or the mammoth Amati HMS Victory, whenever that is released.

I moved recently and was very happy to learn that I live a short 25 minute drive away from Ages of Sail! I'm not sure if my wife will agree with that sentiment but I am a happy camper!

Happy to be a new member here and looking forward to becoming a contributing member of the forum!

Ben

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! I will most definitely start a build log for the Fifie once I get started.

First things first, I have to get the hobby supplies and workspace unpacked and set up in the new house and then I will get the Fifie on the bench!

Stay safe, everyone!

Last edited:
aye welcome - the fifie looks like a good kit some nice detail and a bit of rigging but not too much for starters

Welcome Ben... You'll fit right in around here. Take a few minutes and read a little. You will find a lot of good folks who are willing to lend a hand (or an ear..). Hope your stay here is a pleasant one.!!

Welcome from me too, lots of good information and many nice building logs we can learn from here at SOS, greetings from Norway-

Back