A tale of three versions of the same kit Artesania Latina Swift

Not sure where to put this but here I go. A little while back I bought on ebay for a very low price the AL Swift that had been started. It is all there but the original owner had really botched things up starting with the bulkheads and ending with the dozen or so planks he had over nailed to the bulkheads. This was the 1982 release of the kit in a tall narrow box. After deciding it would be too much trouble to continue that build I started looking for a replacement. I found one at a good price and the box was different from the original kit. This kit has a 1996 copyright date and is substantially different from the 82 release. There is also a very recent release of the kit showing the model painted on the box and the 89 page pdf file of the instructions can be downloaded from Artesania Latina. Only the second issue of the kit has a lower deck with a loaded cargo hold. I guess that attaching the deck house is optional. The first version of the kit includes two deck guns which aren't present on either of the two newer kits. Also the first and second version have a step down on the deck near the stern while the newest version has a single continuous deck all the way to the stern. And lastly the latest version has a somewhat simplified rigging plan which show sheet lines and others tying off to rings in the deck instead of a cleat or belaying pin. While I don't have the latest version of the kit in hand it is my opinion that the second version of the kit is the best to work from.

Hi Bob. I finished the Swift using Bob Hunt's practicum a couple years ago. Not sure which version of the AL kit it was but I recall it being a very basic build. Mine had the removable deck houses and the step down aft area. It was a nice kit and fun to build. Here are a couple pictures of mine.

swift_complete_1.jpgswift_complete_2.jpgrope_coil_2.jpg

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob/Mike

I appreciate the contributions as many of our friends do on SOS. I look forward to seeing a build log

Cheers
Geoff

I have two Swift kits, one I bought first, as my first POB kit, she is complete, but not all rigging is done.

A few years later, my daughter wanted to learn and build with me and bought a kit, newer box design and size, but looked to be same kit. Hers never got past gluing bulkheads to keel before she lost interest, still have her kit waiting to finish the build, now that I have more knowledge and experience in building.

I will post photos when I get the boxes out of back room.

Kurt Konrath

Back