A tool for masts and yards.

One of the many things I have trouble with is filing a round mast square for the tops and tapering yards. I even found some yards with a octagonal section in the middle very hard to get right by hand.
Twenty plus years ago when I had access to a machine shop l built a tool to help with these issues. Until this week I had never really used it as I didn't have the time to spend on modelling.
As it was stored in pieces it took a little while to find all the bits and work out how it went together.

IMG_20210425_174209.jpgIMG_20210425_170031.jpg
IMG_20210425_192902.jpg
It's made in 2 parts one side is for tapering and the other side for filing flats on round material. It will hold up to 12mm diameter.

IMG_20210423_133615.jpgIMG_20210425_174147.jpg
When tapering thin yards I hold it in the middle and use a steady on the end while I taper it. Then I move the steady and finish the end. Bigger diameter parts only need the steady to finish off the ends. The holes in the face plate allow the part to be indexed if holes need to be drilled.

IMG_20210425_170031.jpg
This side is for making flats on masts, basically file on the rollers until it stops cutting. I use a file with a safety edge up against the guide. The rollers can be adjusted up and down to get the correct size. Long or flexible parts can be supported with the centre.

IMG_20210425_170113.jpg
The part can be indexed in 15 degree increments so when one side is done remove the pin and turn it to the next position.

IMG_20210425_171409.jpg
The head can be moved to make steps.

IMG_20210425_172840.jpgIMG_20210425_172912.jpg
This took about 30mins and there is less than 0.1mm variation across the flats. I wouldn't be able to do it by hand and I do not have a milling machine.

IMG_20210425_174118.jpgIMG_20210425_174057.jpg
All the parts used where what I had to hand mostly from old jigs and fixtures, if I was using new materials I would have done it differently.
I am now going to make the mast and yards for my BP it's the first time it will be used to make a model.
If there are any questions or photos required, please let me know.

Hi Tony,

Lovely bit of kit, you have put quite a bit of work into designing and building it.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Most of it was made up as I went along, I originally made the tapering tool then added the rest it seemed to be practical to combine the two parts. The aluminium extrusion makes a great base for tools like these.

The two aluminium rings on the rollers can be moved to control the width of the flats on the part.
Maybe such a tool would and could be interested for a tool producer like Roman alias @RC Model
I think, with some additional brainstorming, there could be a very reasonable and interesting tool organized........ just a thought

Maybe such a tool would and could be interested for a tool producer like Roman alias @RC Model
I think, with some additional brainstorming, there could be a very reasonable and interesting tool organized........ just a thought
I have seen some of his products and they're extremely well made. My design was based on whatever materials I had available nothing was purchased. If anyone wants to produce one this would be a starting point. I would like to know if there is any interest and I would be pleased to help.

One of the many things I have trouble with is filing a round mast square for the tops and tapering yards. I even found some yards with a octagonal section in the middle very hard to get right by hand.
Twenty plus years ago when I had access to a machine shop l built a tool to help with these issues. Until this week I had never really used it as I didn't have the time to spend on modelling.
As it was stored in pieces it took a little while to find all the bits and work out how it went together.

View attachment 229504View attachment 229505
View attachment 229506
It's made in 2 parts one side is for tapering and the other side for filing flats on round material. It will hold up to 12mm diameter.

View attachment 229514View attachment 229515
When tapering thin yards I hold it in the middle and use a steady on the end while I taper it. Then I move the steady and finish the end. Bigger diameter parts only need the steady to finish off the ends. The holes in the face plate allow the part to be indexed if holes need to be drilled.

View attachment 229534
This side is for making flats on masts, basically file on the rollers until it stops cutting. I use a file with a safety edge up against the guide. The rollers can be adjusted up and down to get the correct size. Long or flexible parts can be supported with the centre.

View attachment 229535
The part can be indexed in 15 degree increments so when one side is done remove the pin and turn it to the next position.

View attachment 229536
The head can be moved to make steps.

View attachment 229537View attachment 229538
This took about 30mins and there is less than 0.1mm variation across the flats. I wouldn't be able to do it by hand and I do not have a milling machine.

View attachment 229544View attachment 229545
All the parts used where what I had to hand mostly from old jigs and fixtures, if I was using new materials I would have done it differently.
I am now going to make the mast and yards for my BP it's the first time it will be used to make a model.
If there are any questions or photos required, please let me know.
The tools look fabulous. However, it is a little like using an atom bomb to kill ants. You can form masts with any features (even inset copper reals for blocks) you want on them in a few hours with a 'vee jig' , a box cutter for carving, whittling, 'planing' and scraping and some 'micro chisels (0.01" is my smallest). I have done a hundred or so. The Nautical Research Journal had an article on the 'vee jig' a couple of years back. Keeping everything lined up, square or with any number of 'facets' is trivial (actuallu it is automatic'). You can make the jig in a few minutes. You can make the jigs any size so you can make masts (or dowels) from about 0.03" in diameter to 0.7" (the biggest I have made - a few months ago). This is a trivial job with a 'vee jig'. I also use a 0.001" measuring caliper about $20.00 on amazon.com. You can build masts that are more ccurate than the originals were (in scale).

The tools look fabulous. However, it is a little like using an atom bomb to kill ants. You can form masts with any features (even inset copper reals for blocks) you want on them in a few hours with a 'vee jig' , a box cutter for carving, whittling, 'planing' and scraping and some 'micro chisels (0.01" is my smallest). I have done a hundred or so. The Nautical Research Journal had an article on the 'vee jig' a couple of years back. Keeping everything lined up, square or with any number of 'facets' is trivial (actuallu it is automatic'). You can make the jig in a few minutes. You can make the jigs any size so you can make masts (or dowels) from about 0.03" in diameter to 0.7" (the biggest I have made - a few months ago). This is a trivial job with a 'vee jig'. I also use a 0.001" measuring caliper about $20.00 on amazon.com. You can build masts that are more ccurate than the originals were (in scale).
I agree with you that this tool is a complicated way to do a simple job. For me making it was the easy part all it took was some off-cuts, scrap parts and my time. It was a long time ago when I made it and there was very little information about how to make model parts so this is what I came up with. My experience shows me that everyone has a different way to do the same job and I have learnt a lot by watching them and seeing what works for me.

Tony! if you haven't got a patent on it already try and get one, then go looking for buyers, don't think you will too much trouble, there are a million or so HOBBYIST out there, who would love to have one of those" swaggers" take the prints from your mind, and get them blueprinted! boatman too,Ship-1 Paul.:)

Tony! if you haven't got a patent on it already try and get one, then go looking for buyers, don't think you will too much trouble, there are a million or so HOBBYIST out there, who would love to have one of those" swaggers" take the prints from your mind, and get them blueprinted! boatman too,Ship-1 Paul.:)
Thanks for the kind words unfortunately I don't have the time or inclination to do anything like that. The main reason for posting this is to share ideas. It would be difficult to make one exactly like mine without access to a machine shop but the ideas can be adapted into something simpler. The problem with having access to the equipment is it adds to the complexity. If anyone wants to have a go at making one please post a photo and if any help is required just ask.
BTW I have made some other tools, as I use them I will post some photos. Also see making thin copper strip which I have already posted in this section.

Last edited:
Back