Accomplishing mast's colour

The wood to make masts in my kit loks dull, neutral or even dead.

I believe that mast made out o pine or fir etc have had a specific colour looking yellowish with a dash of orange and a some vibrance or glaze deu to the preserving oils used to preserve and maintain them.

I tried unsuccessfully a few things up to now. I have used a honey colloured stain, which gave me a few variants of colour deepnes but without being any of them convicing.

Any tips or thoughts will be much appreciated20210109_095152.jpg

No 4 is the closest example to the reality (I think) - most of the unpainted yard arms (f.e. the HMS Victory has black painted yards) are dark brown with a red touch.

1280px-CrewOnRoyalYard.jpg TopGallantYard.jpg

Maybe it would be a possibility, that you are looking for a different wood as an alternative to stain. so f,e, steamed pear (oftens old as swiss pear) is coming often close to this appearance

b54b8c208c944c26f3332f4080938248.jpg

This beautifull photo

Unbenannt.JPG

you can find here:

Sorry - after reading once more your text I took the wrong way and explained the yards, but I guess for the masts is the same valid

dfe4758513c7f0370476ec2843fea4bb.jpg HMS_Surprise_(replica_ship)_mast_1.jpg

Interesting is this photo

crow-s-nest-mast-nest-ship.jpg

Over the crows nest the timber is grey by the weather (rain and sun) - under the platform it has still the original "new" color

Maybe it would be possible to mix some Talens Ecoline watercolors to get a good color for your masts

ecoline test.jpg

these water colors are penetrating into the wood, so you can still see the grain of the wood.....

The wood to make masts in my kit loks dull, neutral or even dead.

I believe that mast made out o pine or fir etc have had a specific colour looking yellowish with a dash of orange and a some vibrance or glaze deu to the preserving oils used to preserve and maintain them.

I tried unsuccessfully a few things up to now. I have used a honey colloured stain, which gave me a few variants of colour deepnes but without being any of them convicing.

Any tips or thoughts will be much appreciatedView attachment 217624
Perhaps my post of June 10/20 regarding a dowel company would be what you are looking for. I thinks it’s under “masts”.

Perhaps my post of June 10/20 regarding a dowel company would be what you are looking for. I thinks it’s under “masts”.
here we are

I have to keep this bookmarked, very good info - thank you Uwek and all for this.

Back