Adding Baking Sida to age wood effect

Seen this on a woodworkers You Tube Channel. To give wood an aged look can apply water solution of baking soda. I’ve tried it on Castello Boxwood. What do you think? I’ve not applied varnish yet.

29577650-1E92-42ED-B8AF-DC73DDA24D9E.jpeg

85463DCB-ADFB-41E8-A99D-14E90981A94D.jpeg

You should have tried it on a test piece not the model. It just makes it look dirty not worn I think. Is this Rochefort ?

You should have tried it on a test piece not the model. It just makes it look dirty not worn I think. Is this Rochefort ?
Looking at it I think it gives the decking and aged look, There is no doubt that decking on those ships probably looked more aged and worn than that O like it

HaHa. No worries. The whole model is a test. The deck is now one colour and will be sanded and varnished later. It won’t look as bad as it does now. I did do a test piece earlier. I’ll post some more photos later.

HaHa. No worries. The whole model is a test. The deck is now one colour and will be sanded and varnished later. It won’t look as bad as it does now. I did do a test piece earlier. I’ll post some more photos later.
Looking forward to seeing more of Le Rochfort

I hope to show a summarised collection of photos of my progress so far. I thought there was a place on the forum where one can post photos of a build without doing a build log?

This a work in progress photo of the deck having been treated with Caustic Soda. Then sanded and Matt clear varnish applied. A long way to go yet however. Still to sand and varnish hull planks, plank the insides and etc etc.

1C23E375-83D7-4E0A-B8E4-BAC03D2A0B57.jpeg

2172660A-95A4-4FCC-8B38-A87F929C4F4B.jpeg

Nice. Ill be building le Rochefort next. Question. It will be only be second scratch build after the Blandford section. How did you arrive at a materials list for the Rochefort ?? I understand ill have to go through the monograph and also the excellent book by Adrian Sorolla but how exactly do I arrive at the amount of wood needed ? Which woods are you using here ? Thanks.

Hi tonphil. It’s mainly Cherry. I already had a collection of Cherry so wasn’t worried about the quantity. It’s 1/36 scale so wood quantity isn’t an issue with me. The deck planking is Costello boxwood. It’s nice to have a little contrast. Adrian Sorollas’book is a great help.

Hi tonphil. It’s mainly Cherry. I already had a collection of Cherry so wasn’t worried about the quantity. It’s 1/36 scale so wood quantity isn’t an issue with me. The deck planking is Costello boxwood. It’s nice to have a little contrast. Adrian Sorollas’book is a great help.
yes thanks, I have some Cherry and Beech left over too. We'll see how it works out.

The board you're looking for to post in progress pics is under General Topics, help with models. I for one would love to see as many in progress shots of Le Rochefort as possible

Back