Advice for research

Not sure were to past this but I would really like some advice. Can anyone suggest a book that is in English and won't break the bank that gives the basic names and descriptions of the parts or of 18th century ships( ribs, knees, escutcheon, .forebitt et al. If it also includes rigging it would be a real bonus

Thanks Kurt,
It looks like a very good book and also what I'm looking for. I have located a second hand copy at Abe Books that with shipping will cost about $85AUD so will buy that. Only trouble will be waiting for it to arrive in these difficult times.
Thanks again
Allan

Thanks Kurt,
It looks like a very good book and also what I'm looking for. I have located a second hand copy at Abe Books that with shipping will cost about $85AUD so will buy that. Only trouble will be waiting for it to arrive in these difficult times.
Thanks again
Allan

Thanks for the reply Uwe, good to see you agree with Kurt from DARIVS ARCHITECTVS it looks like just what I am after.

My post above telling Kurt that I had found it was was buying it was a bit premature. I received an email today from Abe Books telling me the seller now requires an extra $42USD for postage.
I am on a small fixed income but that alone doesn't deter me from buying the book which I would love but I wont willingly pay 250% of the price for the book for postage with no guarantee of receiving it in less than 2 months. So for the moment it seems I will have to do without.

Sorry finished my rant.

Again thanks to you both for the excellent advice:):):):)

Allan

Thanks for the reply Uwe, good to see you agree with Kurt from DARIVS ARCHITECTVS it looks like just what I am after.

My post above telling Kurt that I had found it was was buying it was a bit premature. I received an email today from Abe Books telling me the seller now requires an extra $42USD for postage.
I am on a small fixed income but that alone doesn't deter me from buying the book which I would love but I wont willingly pay 250% of the price for the book for postage with no guarantee of receiving it in less than 2 months. So for the moment it seems I will have to do without.

Sorry finished my rant.

Again thanks to you both for the excellent advice:):):):)

Allan
Keep shopping. That is a pretty common book. Here is a second book that complements the first one. Also worth buying. See link below. Maybe Uwe has a review for this one too? :D

Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War, 1600-1815

looking at research from a different point of view

books are great i have many, however take the book mentioned above a great book for English built ships but it does not cover Dutch, French or American built ships just English built. So it is wonderful for English ships and English only if that is exactly what your interested in English war ships.
What if you have an interest in ironclad ships or river boats or schooners the above book is worthless for that information.
Narrow down you interest and look for research material in that category.
Your best bet is to ask questions on the forum or you will end up spending a large amount of money building a library.
for basic and general information you can find it all on line.

looking at research from a different point of view

books are great i have many, however take the book mentioned above a great book for English built ships but it does not cover Dutch, French or American built ships just English built. So it is wonderful for English ships and English only if that is exactly what your interested in English war ships.
What if you have an interest in ironclad ships or river boats or schooners the above book is worthless for that information.
Narrow down you interest and look for research material in that category.
Your best bet is to ask questions on the forum or you will end up spending a large amount of money building a library.
for basic and general information you can find it all on line.
This is great advice. I used to give similar to my students when I was college lecturer.

There are several possibilities like on amazon or abebooks......
but also sometimes you can get a good copy on ebay for reasonable prices.
f,e, in moment one copy from UK for 39 GBP with article number 154115555347 - you can make a counter-offer....

and do not forget the web-page bookfinder.com

There are also offers from book dealer from Australia listed

Thanks all for your input, it just goes to show how helpful SOS is, just ask and others reach out with advice.
At this stage I think I will be going with Brian's suggestion I have found a few interesting options on Amazon.
Dave I appreciate what you say and agree with you but at this stage I am looking for basics and being an Aussie I suppose I have a leaning to English ships.
Uwe as always your contribution is comprehensive and I am sure I will make use of BookFinder a lot now I am aware of it being the avid reader I am.

Again Thanks all

Allan

Thanks all for your input, it just goes to show how helpful SOS is, just ask and others reach out with advice.
At this stage I think I will be going with Brian's suggestion I have found a few interesting options on Amazon.
Dave I appreciate what you say and agree with you but at this stage I am looking for basics and being an Aussie I suppose I have a leaning to English ships.
Uwe as always your contribution is comprehensive and I am sure I will make use of BookFinder a lot now I am aware of it being the avid reader I am.

Again Thanks all

Allan
HAH! Called it Dave! :D You have to take a drink now...

Back