Advice on simulating wooden decking - Titanic model

With both the Pontos/Trumpeter and Mk.1 upgrade kits for the 1/200 Titanic very hard to come by over here in Oz, and not being a fan of the Artwox choice, I'm looking to options for painting the decks in a manner that would simulate the look of wood. At the moment I've tried a couple of combos using Vallejo Model Air colours and a wood stain (on some test decking from another model), and it doesn't look too bad, but I'd be very keen to hear from members who may have any tried and true methods for simulating the look of wooden decking on plastic. Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Last edited:
Gosh, thought the Artworks deck was the best in the business.
Hey there. Artwox usually make a fine product; just had a couple of personal 'average' experiences with some of their 1/200 products. Would have gone for the Scaledecks product, but it doesn't seem to be available to us here in Australia. Not sure why.

Hey Bryian,
Yes, I use them a lot. They have the Mk.1 kits on back order, and I have my name down for when they come in, just unknown at this stage when they are expected to ship from China.
Cheers,
Steve

I haven't tried to do this on ships but have done it on plastic cars with wood trim. I use acrylic pastes. Start with yellow oxide as a base coating, let dry. You can clear coat to protect it. Then I use raw umber, burnt umber, black etc to simulate the wood of choice - from pine to maple to walnut. You can mix the different pigments to obtain the color/look you desire. Use a dry brush approach for grains. You can wipe off with wet towel if you're not satisfied and start over.

A long time ago, I put together the Lindberg Captain Kidd (many years ago). Which of course is a plastic kit. What I did is that I painted the entire hull flat black (if I remember--see the link) and also the deck. The plastic deck and hull had simulated "Raised texture" of the wood. I then painted a coat of light brown and tan. Then I took a very fine sand paper like 1000 grit and lightly sanded away the tan and brown which exposed the darker (black) which started to reveal the texture of the plastic grain. Then I had what I thought was a nice grain affect.

here is the log that I show how I did this.

1624718789884.png

Hi Steve, On my Lusitania and Entex Titanic I used a light tan and then applied Army Painter Medium Wash with some parts slightly more darkly shaded with Dark Tone.

This is an oil and comes in Soft, Medium and Dark tones. I think you can get these from BNA or try War and Peace Games. Now, I bought my KA set direct from KA which took about a month but ordered the Scaledecks complete Titanic deck.

Scaledecks does not have a shop, but all the items can be purchased through Amazon or eBay according to the Scaledecks site.

Alternatively, I happen to have 2 sets of Scaledecks Titanic decks which came from 2 different sources and these are very beautiful.

I was going to sell one. Are you interested? I am in Sydney, the current lockdown capital of Oz, so postage would not be a problem if I am allowed to walk to the PO.

Cheers Francis

Hi Steve, On my Lusitania and Entex Titanic I used a light tan and then applied Army Painter Medium Wash with some parts slightly more darkly shaded with Dark Tone.

This is an oil and comes in Soft, Medium and Dark tones. I think you can get these from BNA or try War and Peace Games. Now, I bought my KA set direct from KA which took about a month but ordered the Scaledecks complete Titanic deck.

Scaledecks does not have a shop, but all the items can be purchased through Amazon or eBay according to the Scaledecks site.

Alternatively, I happen to have 2 sets of Scaledecks Titanic decks which came from 2 different sources and these are very beautiful.

I was going to sell one. Are you interested? I am in Sydney, the current lockdown capital of Oz, so postage would not be a problem if I am allowed to walk to the PO.

Cheers Francis
Hey Francis. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm up in not-yet-lockdowned Newcastle, and would be quite interested in the Scaledecks Titanic deck. Can you just confirm it is for the 1/200 scale model? I had been looking everywhere for that deck set, but apart from being able to see it on their website, I couldn't buy it from eBay or Amazon; at least not as far as I could find. How much might you want for it?

Cheers,
Steve

A long time ago, I put together the Lindberg Captain Kidd (many years ago). Which of course is a plastic kit. What I did is that I painted the entire hull flat black (if I remember--see the link) and also the deck. The plastic deck and hull had simulated "Raised texture" of the wood. I then painted a coat of light brown and tan. Then I took a very fine sand paper like 1000 grit and lightly sanded away the tan and brown which exposed the darker (black) which started to reveal the texture of the plastic grain. Then I had what I thought was a nice grain affect.

here is the log that I show how I did this.

View attachment 240848
Thanks for taking the time to reply Donald. Appreciate the build log link. :)

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve, Yes it is 1/200 Trumpeter deck. I just checked and there is an outfit in Korea via ebay that has it in stock. Others out of stock. If you like, send me your mobile number and will send you phot and we can talk if interested. Cost was about $129 usd or about $170 ausd so what about $150 plus postage. Still in the wrapper and easily photographed. Cheers Francis

Hi Steve, Yes it is 1/200 Trumpeter deck. I just checked and there is an outfit in Korea via ebay that has it in stock. Others out of stock. If you like, send me your mobile number and will send you phot and we can talk if interested. Cost was about $129 usd or about $170 ausd so what about $150 plus postage. Still in the wrapper and easily photographed. Cheers Francis
Hey Francis,

I do believe I am interested. :) If you don't mind, could you email me a couple of pics to wedgie01@gmail.com? I don't use my phone for much other than work contacts these days, but regularly check my email.
Appreciate the contact. Did you get your KA set through their web site? I've been waiting for BNA to get them back in stock, but they can't even give me an estimate at the moment as to when that may happen.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve, Bought the kit from Fronline out your way and after no luck with them re KA and after watching the reviews on Midwest Model Shop, went straight to KA models and ordered direct. About a month to arrive and was in stock then ( 4 months ago ). Will send pics later today after I get on to a few home things that need doing. Cheers Francis

Hi Steve, Bought the kit from Fronline out your way and after no luck with them re KA and after watching the reviews on Midwest Model Shop, went straight to KA models and ordered direct. About a month to arrive and was in stock then ( 4 months ago ). Will send pics later today after I get on to a few home things that need doing. Cheers Francis
Sounds familiar. My family got me the kit for Christmas, from Frontline, but they are unable to assist with either of the aftermarket kits. I was a bit dubious about paying a large sum of money to an overseas company which couldn't guarantee a delivery date, but it sounds like you didn't have any issues with them? I will look forward to getting the pics mate. Cheers, Steve.

Just checked and KA Korea has the set in stock. Agreed I was dubious and paid via PayPal for safety plus wrote to them after acknowledgement to make sure I was on their radar. Cheers Francis

Back