Aeropiccola kits

I took no offense at all! But, your interest in HMS Serapis can only be satisfied with either the Aero Piccola kit or by scratch-building. Neither Corel or Panart (or any other manufacturer) makes anything close. That said, Aeropiccola kits may be a little under detailed, but their wood was spectacular. To me, no other manufacturer came close. While the others focused on woods like walnut, cherry, etc., Aeropiccola used bass wood (a finer grain). I did not like their use of resin parts, however. But, any model can be modified at the builder's discretion, which makes us modelers not parts affixers.

The Aeropiccola HMS Victory measures out to be 1/178 scale. It is slightly larger than the Airfix plastic kit. The Aeropiccola kit is very definitely a beginner's kit. Indeed, the kit designer had the builder simply paint the lower hull copper, simple draw closed gun ports on the sides, used that resin-sawdust molding for the transom, the quarter galleries, the boats, the beakhead-bulkhead, and the mast platforms. They also used printed sheet for decks and platforms on the masts.

So, I cut out all gun ports and built the walls holding dummy cannons. I copper plated the lower hull, I built my own deck and platforms. I also scratch-built the beakhead-bulkhead, the transom, and the quarter galleries, and ship's boats. In other words, I turned her from a toy to a true model ship. It was fun! That is what modeling is about.

Bill

So, I cut out all gun ports and built the walls holding dummy cannons. I copper plated the lower hull, I built my own deck and platforms. I also scratch-built the beakhead-bulkhead, the transom, and the quarter galleries, and ship's boats. In other words, I turned her from a toy to a true model ship. It was fun! That is what modeling is about.

Bill
Hallo Bill,
This sounds very interesting....maybe you show us your Victory?

I took no offense at all! But, your interest in HMS Serapis can only be satisfied with either the Aero Piccola kit or by scratch-building. Neither Corel or Panart (or any other manufacturer) makes anything close. That said, Aeropiccola kits may be a little under detailed, but their wood was spectacular. To me, no other manufacturer came close. While the others focused on woods like walnut, cherry, etc., Aeropiccola used bass wood (a finer grain). I did not like their use of resin parts, however. But, any model can be modified at the builder's discretion, which makes us modelers not parts affixers.

The Aeropiccola HMS Victory measures out to be 1/178 scale. It is slightly larger than the Airfix plastic kit. The Aeropiccola kit is very definitely a beginner's kit. Indeed, the kit designer had the builder simply paint the lower hull copper, simple draw closed gun ports on the sides, used that resin-sawdust molding for the transom, the quarter galleries, the boats, the beakhead-bulkhead, and the mast platforms. They also used printed sheet for decks and platforms on the masts.

Bill
Hi William, I was just doing a search for Aeropiccola kits and came across your comment. I was ecstatic to learn a bit more about them and the quality of their timber.I answered an ad on Facebook Marketplace for some tools and a kit for $100. Boy have I got a bargain. The tools alone would be around that price if I bought new. The kit is an Amati Viking Ship Drakkar, partially complete and an Aeropiccola Bounty, thrown in for good measure. It is only bits and pieces, but I have yet to go through the boxes but have found a lot of planking and masts as I am finding a mix up of parts. Even if I cannot make the kit I have good quality spares.

Rob

I built the Serapis, quit when our child was born and now decided to give her a refit. Work in progress, very slowly. I was not very satified with the kit, no scale indicated,poor instructions. Bought the plan at NMM and found the kit pretty accurate. Greetings Christian
20221209_114741.jpg20221209_114807.jpg20221209_114821.jpg

Hi William, I was just doing a search for Aeropiccola kits and came across your comment. I was ecstatic to learn a bit more about them and the quality of their timber.I answered an ad on Facebook Marketplace for some tools and a kit for $100. Boy have I got a bargain. The tools alone would be around that price if I bought new. The kit is an Amati Viking Ship Drakkar, partially complete and an Aeropiccola Bounty, thrown in for good measure. It is only bits and pieces, but I have yet to go through the boxes but have found a lot of planking and masts as I am finding a mix up of parts. Even if I cannot make the kit I have good quality spares.

Rob
As with all kits, the Aeropiccola kits can have problems. However, I have found them to be accurate and simple to build. They are also easy to detail. I once built the Serapis, I had fun doing so, and I would like to find another. Yours was a great find!

Bill

Hey guys,
I mentioned somewhere that I picked up the Aeropiccola Bounty kit. The keel and bulkheads are missing, but I have the main deck, planking, masts, sparsap bounty1.jpgap bounty2.jpg and fittings etc. If anyone has the instructions or list of parts, or can suggest where I might find a copy I would greatly appreciate it.

I know its a very big long shot, but could be fun for a beginner to make as a start on wood. some of the fittings look really cool. the gun carriages for example. Happy to add more pics if anyone interested.

Hey guys,
I mentioned somewhere that I picked up the Aeropiccola Bounty kit. The keel and bulkheads are missing, but I have the main deck, planking, masts, sparsView attachment 363899View attachment 363900 and fittings etc. If anyone has the instructions or list of parts, or can suggest where I might find a copy I would greatly appreciate it.

I know its a very big long shot, but could be fun for a beginner to make as a start on wood. some of the fittings look really cool. the gun carriages for example. Happy to add more pics if anyone interested.
I don't suppose that the plans show you the parts? Even if they are not the right size, you can get the shapes in the size needed to fit your kit by enlarging the shapes on the plans to the size you need.

I don't suppose that the plans show you the parts? Even if they are not the right size, you can get the shapes in the size needed to fit your kit by enlarging the shapes on the plans to the size you need.
There are no plans at all. I literally have parts only. No plans, instructions , parts lists, nothing. It does not mention Scale on the box anywhere, except to say the length is 70cm, so will have to check records of the ships length and work out the scale. Happy to add more photos later of the components I have. One in particular is a tool, I think, I have no idea what its for

Hiya Uwek
Thank you for your message. They are the complete kits not the cross section. The Essex and the Serapis are complete and untouched in their boxes and the Swift was bought as a project, the hull had been started with some of the first planking started (Not very well started) but I bought it with a view to put it right and then build the rest of it. I'll beam over some photos when I get the chance.
For reference the other kits for sale are:
Hermione La Fayette Complete boxed kit (Artesania)
Scottish Maid Complete boxed (Artesania)
HMS Supply complete boxed (Artesania)
San Juan Nepomuceno complete boxed (Artesania)
Cutty Sark Complete with fittings kit (Billings)
USS Constitution Complete boxed (Mantua)
HMS Pandora Complete boxed (Constructo)
HMS Jalouse Complete boxed (Caldercraft)
HMS Bounty (Amati) the keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
Chinese Junk (Amati) The keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
HMS Victory complete boxed kit (Mamoli)
Essex (Aeropiccola)
Serapis (Aeropiccola)
HMS Swift (As above)
I'll post some photos as soon as possible
Cheers
Not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but would like to know if you still have the USS Constitution (Mantua) kit?

There are no plans at all. I literally have parts only. No plans, instructions , parts lists, nothing. It does not mention Scale on the box anywhere, except to say the length is 70cm, so will have to check records of the ships length and work out the scale. Happy to add more photos later of the components I have. One in particular is a tool, I think, I have no idea what its for
Rob,
have you tried ringing "float a boat" in Ringwood Melbourne ? I know Adrian has thousands of plans from kits in his filing cabinet.

Rob,
have you tried ringing "float a boat" in Ringwood Melbourne ? I know Adrian has thousands of plans from kits in his filing cabinet.
Hi Bryian,I have not.

I have bought from them recently bits and pieces to upgrade an old Billings Bounty kit I picked up. I needed blocks and deadeyes and deciced to upgrade them all from plastic to wood. I will contact them about plans and 1:1 scale as there are no keel or hull parts and I might be able to cut them from ply I know I can get from float a boat. Their new website is easy to navigate. Tell you more about another potential bargain model kit I have picked up that is missing these items, later

Not sure if this thread is still alive or not, but would like to know if you still have the USS Constitution (Mantua) kit?

Rob,
Hi Bryian
Success!
Float-a-boat did not have Aeropiccola plans, BUT was able to find Modellismo AMATI plans of the same scale kit. All in Italian of course but has an English attachment. And the plans are in 1:1 scale!! AS you can see the main deck has a slight variation, else will be an interesting "scratch" project. It is lacking a parts list and I have asked if there is one available. It will mean ordering blocks, deadeyes etc and plywood from them so it will be in their interest too :)

IMG20230425120131.jpg

IMG20230425120212.jpg

IMG20230425120225.jpg

IMG20230425120239.jpg

Bow's extreme radius forces gunwales and waterways into an unnatural pattern. Sooo difficult...

Hi Bryian
Success!
Float-a-boat did not have Aeropiccola plans, BUT was able to find Modellismo AMATI plans of the same scale kit. All in Italian of course but has an English attachment. And the plans are in 1:1 scale!! AS you can see the main deck has a slight variation, else will be an interesting "scratch" project. It is lacking a parts list and I have asked if there is one available. It will mean ordering blocks, deadeyes etc and plywood from them so it will be in their interest too :)

View attachment 371578

View attachment 371579

View attachment 371580

View attachment 371581
I have looked more thoroughly and there is a materials list, but no quantities. I literally have to go through and list all the materials in the box, then determine the quantities needed by researching the plans for each plank, deadeye, timber size and type. While I might buy the timber for the deck and frames now and cut them out. The inventory of the other items will take some time, best left for a lazy rainy day. No rush. Add it to the list of kits to be built. I have Artesania Bount to build and can use the illustrations from that to assist in this one.

Hiya Uwek
Thank you for your message. They are the complete kits not the cross section. The Essex and the Serapis are complete and untouched in their boxes and the Swift was bought as a project, the hull had been started with some of the first planking started (Not very well started) but I bought it with a view to put it right and then build the rest of it. I'll beam over some photos when I get the chance.
For reference the other kits for sale are:
Hermione La Fayette Complete boxed kit (Artesania)
Scottish Maid Complete boxed (Artesania)
HMS Supply complete boxed (Artesania)
San Juan Nepomuceno complete boxed (Artesania)
Cutty Sark Complete with fittings kit (Billings)
USS Constitution Complete boxed (Mantua)
HMS Pandora Complete boxed (Constructo)
HMS Jalouse Complete boxed (Caldercraft)
HMS Bounty (Amati) the keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
Chinese Junk (Amati) The keel and ribs have been made but the rest of the kit is still boxed
HMS Victory complete boxed kit (Mamoli)
Essex (Aeropiccola)
Serapis (Aeropiccola)
HMS Swift (As above)
I'll post some photos as soon as possible
Cheers
Hi Kiwistew,
I jumped on your chat and was wondering if you had any updates on your kit sales and photos? In particular HMS Supply, USS Constitution and Serapis, but also interested to know prices of others you may still have.

Ciao ragazzi, sono nuovo su questo sito e al momento risiedo nel Regno Unito. Ho un numero di kit (15) che venderò presto. Ho acquistato questi kit con l'intenzione di realizzarli quando andrò in pensione, tuttavia, a causa di un problema medico, la pensione ora non è un'opzione.
I kit variano a seconda del produttore e la maggior parte di questi ha un prezzo facile, ma ci sono 3 kit Aeropiccola. Questi sarebbero "The Essex", "HMS Swift" e "Serapis" e non ho idea di quanto potrebbero valere questi kit.
Se qualcuno là fuori fosse in grado di aiutarmi con una guida sul motivo per cui potrei venderli, sarebbe apprezzato con gratitudine.

Hi Zambo,
I do not know what the prices would be as the company is no longer in production. I will be keeping a watch though as I may be interested to buy a kit.

Hi Zambo,
I do not know what the prices would be as the company is no longer in production. I will be keeping a watch though as I may be interested to buy a kit.
I would also look at sites like eBay to see what these kits are going for. Look at what the sellers are asking followed by what these kits actually sell for.

Bill

Happy New Year guys.Over the Christmas break I looked through the folder that came with the tools and kit. I should have been more patient! Inside are the original plans for the Bounty, as well as English Translation of the Instructions. So I will now copy the Plans, which are 1:1 scale as I compared the deck I have, so that I can then order the 5mm ply needed for the frames and keel. I can then compare the parts list with what is in the box to see what else is required. This is such good news as I can now build it following the original plane using the original deck that came with the kit and not the substitute I thought I would have to.

I will add photos of them as well as other information that came with them.

Back