AFRICAN QUEEN 1:12, Billing Boats, Carl Aspler

Here is my completed AFRICAN QUEEN. I tried to give it a worn and rusty look - the hull mainly, but I did like the fresh colours of the engine and brass, so not all of it was weathered and worn. In addition to the basic kit I added a few of my own things. This included an anchor and winch, made from leftover bits from other projects, as well as a hatch for the woodbox, a nameplate on the boiler, a few of Rosie's bibles, and a number of items I bought from a doll house supply company. These included the gin bottle, tools and tea set. I also elected to make my own decals for the gin cases and also added some cases of explosives. I also made my own flag and even though the flag Rosie and Charlie hoisted was made by them just towards the end of the movie, I decided to give mine a tattered look, just to be more in keeping with the overall look of the boat. This was not an easy project. I had never worked with a plastic hull before and weathering techniques were also completely new to me. Since the Billing Boats instructions were, in my opinion, quite lacking, I benefitted from a previous builder's log on SOS and input from experts on a number of facebook ship-building sites, as well as this one.IMG_5392.jpgIMG_5355.jpgIMG_5353.jpegIMG_5357.jpgIMG_5360.jpgIMG_5361.jpgIMG_5362.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5367.jpgIMG_5392.jpgIMG_5393.jpgIMG_5398.jpgIMG_5399.jpg

I like!!
I have this kit sitting on my shelf.
The decals look excellent. Nice touch

Carl--Glad to see you are still into boat building. Your characteristic attention to detail and interesting additions are evident in the Queen. Very nice indeed. I am in the midst of a health issue so not much has come from my shop recently. My last project was the OcCre Polaris, the completed model which I showed on this site. Thought I'd try a simple sailing craft.

Best wishes,
Don

Carl--Glad to see you are still into boat building. Your characteristic attention to detail and interesting additions are evident in the Queen. Very nice indeed. I am in the midst of a health issue so not much has come from my shop recently. My last project was the OcCre Polaris, the completed model which I showed on this site. Thought I'd try a simple sailing craft.

Best wishes,
Don
Hi Don,

I'm sorry to hear that you have health issues. My best wishes for a recovery.

Yes, I'm still into building. The African Queen is my first boat since Ulisses. Thanks for your kind remarks. I have also been building other things - a scratch built caboose, as well as a fantasy flying machine and a circa 1905 London tram.

Here are some pics, including a few interior shots of the caboose.

Take care, speed back to health. Hope to see you back in your workshop!

Best wishes, CarlCaboose.jpegIMG_4681.jpegIMG_4684.jpegIMG_5103.jpegIMG_5102.jpegIMG_5112.jpeg

Best wishes,
Don
You guys and your concern for each other is one of the reasons that I enjoy this site. To the African Queen… one of my favorite films and your portrayal of a real classic is superb. Thanks for sharing.

Ooops, I just noticed that I previously posted images of my caboose. Here is the one of the London Tram, completed just prior to the African Queen.IMG_5205.jpegIMG_5206.jpegIMG_5207.jpegIMG_5208.jpeg
You guys and your concern for each other is one of the reasons that I enjoy this site. To the African Queen… one of my favorite films and your portrayal of a real classic is superb. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your positive comments on the African Queen. And yes, even though many of us have never met, it is still a community of support.

Beautiful model. I almost forgot that I can’t jump on and go to Abby Wood without passing go! Got more projects that you can share? I think we can learn a lot by seeing the details. They’re also inspiring.

Beautiful model. I almost forgot that I can’t jump on and go to Abby Wood without passing go! Got more projects that you can share? I think we can learn a lot by seeing the details. They’re also inspiring.
Very kind of you!! I do have additional projects, but few are boats. I have a Stagecoach, a number of locomotives and trams. I did make the Ulisses by Occre which I posted on this site, as well as the RCMP St. Roch, also posted on the site. My stagecoach does have quite a few additional details.

Very kind of you!! I do have additional projects, but few are boats. I have a Stagecoach, a number of locomotives and trams. I did make the Ulisses by Occre which I posted on this site, as well as the RCMP St. Roch, also posted on the site. My stagecoach does have quite a few additional details.
Hi HpeterB,
I know this is a bit of old news, but I do have a Facebook page where I am slowing posting my various train, tram and ship projects. It's the East Toronto Trams Trains & Ships. If you search for the page on facebook, you can hopefully find it...

Here is my completed AFRICAN QUEEN. I tried to give it a worn and rusty look - the hull mainly, but I did like the fresh colours of the engine and brass, so not all of it was weathered and worn. In addition to the basic kit I added a few of my own things. This included an anchor and winch, made from leftover bits from other projects, as well as a hatch for the woodbox, a nameplate on the boiler, a few of Rosie's bibles, and a number of items I bought from a doll house supply company. These included the gin bottle, tools and tea set. I also elected to make my own decals for the gin cases and also added some cases of explosives. I also made my own flag and even though the flag Rosie and Charlie hoisted was made by them just towards the end of the movie, I decided to give mine a tattered look, just to be more in keeping with the overall look of the boat. This was not an easy project. I had never worked with a plastic hull before and weathering techniques were also completely new to me. Since the Billing Boats instructions were, in my opinion, quite lacking, I benefitted from a previous builder's log on SOS and input from experts on a number of facebook ship-building sites, as well as this one.View attachment 366960View attachment 366953View attachment 366952View attachment 366954View attachment 366955View attachment 366956View attachment 366957View attachment 366958View attachment 366959View attachment 366960View attachment 366961View attachment 366962View attachment 366963
OMG I need to revisit mine ! Some great extra touches mate !

Here is my completed AFRICAN QUEEN. I tried to give it a worn and rusty look - the hull mainly, but I did like the fresh colours of the engine and brass, so not all of it was weathered and worn. In addition to the basic kit I added a few of my own things. This included an anchor and winch, made from leftover bits from other projects, as well as a hatch for the woodbox, a nameplate on the boiler, a few of Rosie's bibles, and a number of items I bought from a doll house supply company. These included the gin bottle, tools and tea set. I also elected to make my own decals for the gin cases and also added some cases of explosives. I also made my own flag and even though the flag Rosie and Charlie hoisted was made by them just towards the end of the movie, I decided to give mine a tattered look, just to be more in keeping with the overall look of the boat. This was not an easy project. I had never worked with a plastic hull before and weathering techniques were also completely new to me. Since the Billing Boats instructions were, in my opinion, quite lacking, I benefitted from a previous builder's log on SOS and input from experts on a number of facebook ship-building sites, as well as this one.View attachment 366960View attachment 366953View attachment 366952View attachment 366954View attachment 366955View attachment 366956View attachment 366957View attachment 366958View attachment 366959View attachment 366960View attachment 366961View attachment 366962View attachment 366963
Sorry I read the plastic hull bit a little late. Coffee sticks are the answer!

B5AA5884-B8DB-4EF4-AF17-67BC7387ACC8.jpeg

Back