After market scale rope

In Sydney for a few days R&R with the missus, have a morning planned where she will explore the shopping and I will visit the Endeavour replica in Darling Harbour. I have the caldercraft model of her waiting in the wings. So lots of photos for reference I will be taking. Looking for recommendations re scale rope to use on her. Or is the supplied caldercraft rope good quality?

I'll second @Bryian 's recommendation of Ropes of Scale. @BenD Is a member here and not only provides excellent Scale rope but also great service-I speak from personal experience.

In my opinion the most difficult thing about using aftermarket rope isn't so much choosing a supplier, it's deciding how much of what size and color rope is needed.

Glenn

Thanks for recommending me guys!

While you look into changing out the rope in your kit, you may want new blocks. Kit ones are pretty bad even after sanding and staining them. I've tried...

https://craftysailor.com/- Crafty has some really good looking blocks from Master Korabel.
https://www.hismodel.com/articles-category-57 - HISModels has some decent blocks that are way better than kits blocks and won't break the bank either. I plan on having these on my site in the coming autumn.

Last edited:
Thanks for recommending me guys!

While you look into changing out the rope in your kit, you may want new blocks. Kit ones are pretty bad even after sanding and staining them. I've tried...

https://drydockmodelsandparts.com/ - Drydock has some incredible-looking blocks.
https://www.hismodel.com/articles-category-57 - HISModels has some decent blocks that are way better than kits blocks and won't break the bank either. I plan on having these on my site in the coming autumn.
Thanks BenD. Will visit your site when I work out what and how much I need....I have quite a few ships in the queue!! I have blocks purchased from ModelExpo some time ago “Beautiful Blocks” I think they market them as.

I would also recommend scale ropes from Syren Shipmodels! Chuck makes some of the best I've ever used & you can't beat the prices. For blocks, I always use Beautiful Blocks from ModelExpo. These pearwood blocks are visually great, & they are very easy to strop! Also, the sheave holes are always clean & precisely drilled.

On this site also is a spreadsheet in Excel to calculate the size of rope and blocks in accordance with the scale of the ship or the diameter of the actual main mast. I posted this spreadsheet. Have a look at my posts. Of course, I can't verify the accuracy of the data, but try it out.

Trevor

Last edited:
In my opinion the most difficult thing about using aftermarket rope isn't so much choosing a supplier, it's deciding how much of what size and color rope is needed.
You are absolutely correct. I only solved this, searching in the specialized rigging books, that provide the tables with the correct diameters they used for each application, considering country and age.

I don’t want to take business away from the commercial guys, but you might also consider building your own ropewalk. There are some great articles on SOS and other forums. BenD has some excellent discussion on making your own ropes too. With your own ropewalk you have ultimate control over size, colour, and S or Z laid rope.

I prefer this approach as I see it as an integral part of ship modelling. Not for everyone though.

PeterG

In Sydney for a few days R&R with the missus, have a morning planned where she will explore the shopping and I will visit the Endeavour replica in Darling Harbour. I have the caldercraft model of her waiting in the wings. So lots of photos for reference I will be taking. Looking for recommendations re scale rope to use on her. Or is the supplied caldercraft rope good quality?
As an Australian builder I have found Ropes of Scale to be competitively priced and postage from Canada is very reasonable. Takes about 3 weeks on average to get to Canberra. I have placed numerous small orders with them for the Artesania ENDEAVOUR build as I realise too late that these ships do take a lot of rigging. I future I will take better stock of what rigging is needed and then order in bigger lots. Same thing replacing all kit supplied blocks, deadeyes and cleats. I go to Dry-Dock in Canada as these are very realistic and great value for money.
In some respects I would wish kit manufacturers supplied all rigging for a kit as a separate choice add-on so that the builder could decide to get the rigging from the kit supplier or go aftermarket for better products and save the waste.

I don’t want to take business away from the commercial guys, but you might also consider building your own ropewalk. There are some great articles on SOS and other forums. BenD has some excellent discussion on making your own ropes too. With your own ropewalk you have ultimate control over size, colour, and S or Z laid rope.

I prefer this approach as I see it as an integral part of ship modelling. Not for everyone though.

PeterG
One day..... I would love to get to the point where I can make all my own scale rope and make all my own blocks (with working sheaves) and deadeyes. I have made my own cleats on my first build as the kit supplied ones were way over scale. I already make all my own iron, copper and brass/bronze work in my builds as the kits parts are all over-scale.

On this site also is a spreadsheet in Excel to calculate the size of rope and blocks in accordance with the scale of the ship or the diameter of the actual main mast. I posted this spreadsheet. Have a look at my posts. Of course, I can't verify the accuracy of the data, but try it out.

Trevor
Snap, I did the same thing so there's a couple of spreadsheets available for use (though mines a PDF with various common scales).

PeterG
Yea, have got one, but want this endeavour build to be my show piece, so prefer to go with the experts for after market bits and pieces...

Hallo @itwbluey
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy birthday also from me.
Marquardt shows in the photos in his AOTS for the Endeavour the ship without the rigging. A sort of diarama displaying the ship in dry dock during build with the masts cut off just above deck. Maybe a solution, if one doesn't want to have the hassle of chasing and procuring ropes and blocks for the rigging. Of course, it's all a matter of taste and how one wants to display the model.
Just a thought.

Happy birthday also from me.
Marquardt shows in the photos in his AOTS for the Endeavour the ship without the rigging. A sort of diarama displaying the ship in dry dock during build with the masts cut off just above deck. Maybe a solution, if one doesn't want to have the hassle of chasing and procuring ropes and blocks for the rigging. Of course, it's all a matter of taste and how one wants to display the model.
Just a thought.

Back