Agora Bismarck

CLB

Hi Group
Just thougtht I would post a couple pictures of this build - which is multi media (metal, plastic and electronics). Its a fun build I would advise anyone who wants a diversion from wooden ships (Ive build a dozen of them) would encourage you. Agora Models takes many of the Hachette products and makes them available worldwide. . This project has given me new respect for plastic modelers.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0917 (2).jpg

I built the big 1/200 scale Hatchette partworks Bismarck about 18 years ago. I believe the Agora model/ Amati kits of Bismarck are vastly superior.

Yes this is a different animal - metal hull - lots of wiring, servos etc. The superstructure is mostly plastic. Its not cheap at 140 per month for 12 months - but its been fun. Anxious to get back to wooden ships after this one.

Bismarck is completed. All of the electronics work (turrets rotate, elevate, and make firing noise), as well as props, lights and anchors. My kids think its the greatest ship ever - so its going in their room !

It was a fun build but a bit dissapointing considering its price - as you can see - massive fail plastic fail on the main mast while rigging. I used EZ line - not much tension and it buckled. This part should have been made out of metal vs plastic that bends.

I am anxious to get back to working with wood after this year long project. The best thing about this one is it got me out of the modeling doldrums - I am now carving out 2 hours a day early morning in the shop before I start my work day.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Bismarck is completed. All of the electronics work (turrets rotate, elevate, and make firing noise), as well as props, lights and anchors. My kids think its the greatest ship ever - so its going in their room !

It was a fun build but a bit dissapointing considering its price - as you can see - massive fail plastic fail on the main mast while rigging. I used EZ line - not much tension and it buckled. This part should have been made out of metal vs plastic that bends.

I am anxious to get back to working with wood after this year long project. The best thing about this one is it got me out of the modeling doldrums - I am now carving out 2 hours a day early morning in the shop before I start my work day.

View attachment 319310

View attachment 319311

View attachment 319312

View attachment 319313
Incredible ship! Where's the hackenkreuz on the deck? It's missing.

Congratulations for finishing this amazing model - she is looking very good -> Bravo and well done

So can we now looking forward of your build of the Gros Ventre based on the monograph?

Thanks for the compliments !

I was going to build the CAF Granado - but decided to go ahead and jump into an Ancre build based on the amount of milled Pear I have in the shop and power tools I have collected over the years for a fully framed build. Im not getting any younger....

The axial timbers for Le Gros Ventre in 1/36th are completed already. I do have another Monograph on way from France - Amarante in 1/36th - Tobias is doing an amazing job on her and is very tempting other than the sculptures !!!!

Looks great. I am working on the Amati Bismarck. It is quite a beast; in particular the hull is quite challenging to make it look like metal. I haven't done much with it lately because I have moved to a new home and am caught up in other projects. If you are interested, though, I have started a build log.

Back