Airbrush painting

Before I invest in airbrush equipment I'd like to know from current users about which equipment they use and why. I know price can make a difference in quality. Some equipment is more user friendly. Reading the Micro Mark and related sites they are in the business of selling so I discount their explanations.
Related, I currently use toothpicks for some fine work, preferring flat to round for their porosity-my opinion.

Hi Spars!

In some cases, an airbrush replaces a paintbrush in model making. Neverless, the brush is irreplaceable for painting decorations and figures. Buying an airbrush is like buying a lathe, a mill or a circular saw. You have to familiarize yourself with it and learn a new technik. Cleaning clogged nozzles, diluting colors, etc. must be learned. Also, good substrate preparation and masking of the part will ensure the incomparably painting result.

SANY1304.JPG
Above: a single action airbrush. The amount of paint is controlled at the bottem left by opening or closing the nozzle. On top of the airbrush is a push button that releases the airflow through the airbrush. Easy to use and clean.
Below: a double action airbrush. Paint and compressed air are controlled with combined push button for the air and simultaneous pull back for the amount of paint. Requires more practise.

SANY1300.JPG
SANY1301.JPG
Single action airbrush.

SANY1303.JPG
Double action airbrush from another manufactorer.

To the airbrush comes still the acquisition of a compressor.

Best regards
Thomas

Thanx. When it comes to brushes I do not spare the cost for the finest bristles. I'm handy enough with tools to do my own home and auto repair(all types) so equipment maintenance comes first. Maybe I can give a call to Model Expo for a setup. I don't know if there is someone at Micro Mark who answers live questions. I prefer conversation to a written note as it is quicker. I noted the brand names on your pics for reference.
I guessing I will 'play' with the system on scrap material first.

HI I AM PUTING UP FOR SALE AN AIR BRUSH, COMPRESSOR AND SPRAY BOOTH BOOTH NEVER USED AIR BRUSH ONCE WILL BE POSTING PICTURES OF THE ITEMS LATTER TODAY STAY TUNED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi Spars!

An airbrush is always a precision device, no matter how expensive. Also the compressores are available from simple to best equipped. You have to know how often you use them and what benefits you expect. The paints today are water based and work in all airbrushes. For solvent-based paints, the double action airbrush needs suitable seals, good ventilation of the work area and a breathing mask. There is much to consider.
The expensive airbrushes and compressors for graphic artists and other professionals are not always necessary for our work. Of course, the seller will usually advice the buyer to choose the "best"? Banknote-USD
My first experience was spraying water on newsprint. Then black paint in several thin layers on paper. Each pass was dry in a few seconds. I was thrilled. The first time I cleaned it I had a lot of dirty clothes with detergent, dirty hands and I dropped the paint pot. As a result, the airbrush disappeared into the closet for a year. :mad: Today I can laugh about it heartily. With proper use, the cleaning of the airbrush is not dirtier than a brush cleaning. Beer

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
i have been using an airbrush for many years and i have 6 of them. Everyone is double action
it depends on what you are going to do with it like just paint a flat color on a model or do art work.
i use both water base and automotive paint.

like any other tool there is the hobby grade and the pro grade the best one i have is a Wold it belonged to my dad who was a professional photographer and air brush artist. But on the other hand my kid brother does remarkable work with a rattle can (spray paint in a can)

the one i use the most is the Wold and it is over 50 years old, i think, so getting a good one on ebay may be the best deal rather than buying some hobby grade one.

DSCN3413.JPGDSCF2024 low res.jpggeo2.jpgDSCF2025.JPGlow res.jpgDSCF2024 low res.jpggeo2.jpgDSCF2035.JPG

Last edited:
Before I invest in airbrush equipment I'd like to know from current users about which equipment they use and why. I know price can make a difference in quality. Some equipment is more user friendly. Reading the Micro Mark and related sites they are in the business of selling so I discount their explanations.
Related, I currently use toothpicks for some fine work, preferring flat to round for their porosity-my opinion.
Hi Spars, I have two airbrushes which fulfill my needs for model ships and an N-scale railroad I have been building for years. I only use acrylics.

The first one I purchased was a Badger 200NH bottom feed, single action. I struggled with it because I found I had more paint on my hands than the models. The bottom feed was especially annoying to me. I was very inexperienced and control was not the greatest. Cleanup was an issue but again my inexperience was a factor. I nearly gave up on airbrushing. However, for broad airbrushing it does the job.

I then researched and bought an Omni 4000, it’s a Thayer Chandler, double action, fixed cup, top feed. The 4000 changed my whole airbrushing control. I progressed to Vallejo Air paints and had even smoother coverage. I am still learning but it takes practice.

Also, get a good compressor as well. It makes a big difference.

Roger is right good tools makes a difference like red sable brushes

i have some hobby level airbrushes and they spit and splatter and cant get a fine line and paint like roger said ends up on your hands the airbrush and your shoes.

Hi Spars, I have two airbrushes which fulfill my needs for model ships and an N-scale railroad I have been building for years. I only use acrylics.

The first one I purchased was a Badger 200NH bottom feed, single action. I struggled with it because I found I had more paint on my hands than the models. The bottom feed was especially annoying to me. I was very inexperienced and control was not the greatest. Cleanup was an issue but again my inexperience was a factor. I nearly gave up on airbrushing. However, for broad airbrushing it does the job.

I then researched and bought an Omni 4000, it’s a Thayer Chandler, double action, fixed cup, top feed. The 4000 changed my whole airbrushing control. I progressed to Vallejo Air paints and had even smoother coverage. I am still learning but it takes practice.

Also, get a good compressor as well. It makes a big difference.
Thanx. I'll check these out. I make regular contributions to my 'war chest' for my modeling needs so I can afford to wait. I have some plastic models in my stash for practice. Maybe Micro Mark is the place to shop. And Vallejo paints is on the list. One site I trust for accurate color is JoTiKa, the premiere UK ship model site. They have a complete line of paints.

I use a Harder & Steenbeck infinity 2 in 1 and a few different Iwata airbrushes and a IWATA POWER JET PRO Airbrush AIR COMPRESSOR. They are very high quality and will really do the job.

Several things to consider outside of the cost and performance. The main one to consider is, are parts available. Such as different sized needle's and nozzle's as well as replacement parts. you should also handle the brush to see how comfortable it is to use. when you consider these your choices will shrank down 3 maybe 4 choices.
(Passche. Iwata and Badger). I have 5 air brushes I use on a regular basis from the manufactures listed. .My goto brush is the Apache both a single action a a double action. Why I like them is they fit my hand better then the others. Home depot sells a basic passche single action brush for under $50. As for the compressor how quiet it is the major consideration. The more expensive compressors are designed to be used in side you home. The compressor should have a water trap and be able to operate at 25 to 30PSI. The harbor Freight airbrush compressor does a decent job for $60. Note my apache air brushes are 40 years old and still perform as they did when new.

As a side note a lot of the offshore airbrushes are copies of Badger. I've been told that the parts are not interchangeable.

Hi Spars!

An airbrush is always a precision device, no matter how expensive. Also the compressores are available from simple to best equipped. You have to know how often you use them and what benefits you expect. The paints today are water based and work in all airbrushes. For solvent-based paints, the double action airbrush needs suitable seals, good ventilation of the work area and a breathing mask. There is much to consider.
The expensive airbrushes and compressors for graphic artists and other professionals are not always necessary for our work. Of course, the seller will usually advice the buyer to choose the "best"? Banknote-USD
My first experience was spraying water on newsprint. Then black paint in several thin layers on paper. Each pass was dry in a few seconds. I was thrilled. The first time I cleaned it I had a lot of dirty clothes with detergent, dirty hands and I dropped the paint pot. As a result, the airbrush disappeared into the closet for a year. :mad: Today I can laugh about it heartily. With proper use, the cleaning of the airbrush is not dirtier than a brush cleaning. Beer

Best regards
Thomas
Appreciate your post. I especially value your 'scope of project', explaining you have to know before you buy. I'd like to stay with compatible components. The best compressor for example does not make the paint job the best. Conversely, top of the line brush is not so good with a low end compressor.

Several things to consider outside of the cost and performance. The main one to consider is, are parts available. Such as different sized needle's and nozzle's as well as replacement parts. you should also handle the brush to see how comfortable it is to use. when you consider these your choices will shrank down 3 maybe 4 choices.
(Passche. Iwata and Badger). I have 5 air brushes I use on a regular basis from the manufactures listed. .My goto brush is the Apache both a single action a a double action. Why I like them is they fit my hand better then the others. Home depot sells a basic passche single action brush for under $50. As for the compressor how quiet it is the major consideration. The more expensive compressors are designed to be used in side you home. The compressor should have a water trap and be able to operate at 25 to 30PSI. The harbor Freight airbrush compressor does a decent job for $60. Note my apache air brushes are 40 years old and still perform as they did when new.

As a side note a lot of the offshore airbrushes are copies of Badger. I've been told that the parts are not interchangeable.
I get a veteran's('71-'74) discount so I will start there. Harbor Freight is not so far away and they have veteran's discount. I prefer to buy American as much as I can. August will be my shopping month for model stuff.

Hi Spars!

In some cases, an airbrush replaces a paintbrush in model making. Neverless, the brush is irreplaceable for painting decorations and figures. Buying an airbrush is like buying a lathe, a mill or a circular saw. You have to familiarize yourself with it and learn a new technik. Cleaning clogged nozzles, diluting colors, etc. must be learned. Also, good substrate preparation and masking of the part will ensure the incomparably painting result.

View attachment 243054
Above: a single action airbrush. The amount of paint is controlled at the bottem left by opening or closing the nozzle. On top of the airbrush is a push button that releases the airflow through the airbrush. Easy to use and clean.
Below: a double action airbrush. Paint and compressed air are controlled with combined push button for the air and simultaneous pull back for the amount of paint. Requires more practise.

View attachment 243055
View attachment 243056
Single action airbrush.

View attachment 243057
Double action airbrush from another manufactorer.

To the airbrush comes still the acquisition of a compressor.

Best regards
Thomas
In my simple mind, in shipbuilding, you will not need such a professional kit. It is MAINLY in the plast modelling -aircraft, car diorama. Here you can do wonder and is a MUST here. My local hobby shop has one of Spains TOP painter, and are giving courses etc and once a year a fair of all king of modelling: Wood, PLast Models, Dioramas.

Badger are US produced and has been around many years. I have several of their airbrushes and like them. That said other brands are also good as others have mentioned. I think they all have good and not-so-good models so do a bit of research. As far as brands go it can be like a Chevy, Dodge, Ford argument. I'm just saying what I have, not that it is better or worse than other brands.

I agree with the comment made before about top feed/gravity feed vs bottom/siphon feed. I prefer gravity feed. Siphon feed has been troublesome for me and I really don't need it.

The big advantage of siphon is the large amount of paint available without refilling. This is good for an artist that paints extended periods of time with several brushes but on the hobby scale I paint is not needed. You can also make quick color changes by having multiple paint bottles and a bottle of rinse/cleaner to use between colors. Downside is amount of paint wasted cleaning these same bottles-I don't leave paint in these bottles at the end of a session because it very well might dry out before I use the brush again.

Gravity feed has a small reservoir built in to the brush, no leaks to worry about as in the siphon and for me, easier to clean with less wasted paint. Downside is it does take a bit more time for a color change.

Since i no longer use them I've been considering selling my siphon feed brushes. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post in the selling topic.

Glenn

This is the first I've seen this. I'd have reservations about using this due to the weight and bulk of the compressor attached to the brush. Imagine using a regular brush with this bulk attached while painting or writing with a pen with this attached. I guess it would be ok for painting applications like you would do with a rattle can.

This is the first I've seen this. I'd have reservations about using this due to the weight and bulk of the compressor attached to the brush. Imagine using a regular brush with this bulk attached while painting or writing with a pen with this attached. I guess it would be ok for painting applications like you would do with a rattle can.
I have to agree with you. I use one of those fold up 12”x16” spray booths. I think having that compressor attachment on the bottom would really limit the ability to spray within the booth at different distances. Plus I would think it would really impair fine brush control. Maybe it’s meant for large spray booths and larger items?

I also don't believe you can regulate the pressure. I don't know if that is something that is adjusted a lot, but I would imagine for delicate PE parts, you wouldn't want a high pressure spray, so maybe this thing isn't worth the money. Anyways, thanks for the feedback

Back